Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default quick set mortar?

Is there such a thing? The boiler I have to replace on Monday will have
one of its fixing holes in the hole which I'll have to block up from the
large un-fanned flue of the boiler I'm replacing.

There are various ways I could work around the problem but the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 26, 9:29*pm, YAPH wrote:
Is there such a thing? The boiler I have to replace on Monday will have
one of its fixing holes in the hole which I'll have to block up from the
large un-fanned flue of the boiler I'm replacing.

There are various ways I could work around the problem but the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

The Wickes quick setting 10kg one does. Or get some vanilla cement and
make it with hot water. Or if youre really in a hurry, mix some old
plaster up and watch it flash set.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb crb is offline

the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

Wickes sell it - £2.09 for 2kg bag.

CRB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Mar 2010 21:29:43 GMT, YAPH wrote:

Is there such a thing? The boiler I have to replace on Monday will have
one of its fixing holes in the hole which I'll have to block up from the
large un-fanned flue of the boiler I'm replacing.

There are various ways I could work around the problem but the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

Car body filler?

Angle grinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get the Acme stuff that Wile E. Coyote uses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 26, 4:29*pm, YAPH wrote:
Is there such a thing? The boiler I have to replace on Monday will have
one of its fixing holes in the hole which I'll have to block up from the
large un-fanned flue of the boiler I'm replacing.

There are various ways I could work around the problem but the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

--
John Stumbles *-- *http://yaph.co.uk

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

In the US we have Hydraulic Cement it sets in about 5 minutes even
under pressure from leaks, im sure its sold there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 26/03/2010 21:54, NT wrote:
Or get some vanilla cement and
make it with hot water. Or if youre really in a hurry, mix some old
plaster up and watch it flash set.

NT

You remind me of some of the writing of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn about the
gulags. They would mix the cement with hot water and yes, it set very
quickly.

Because it had frozen solid. :-)

Bit too mild a climate here.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
YAPH writes:
Is there such a thing? The boiler I have to replace on Monday will have
one of its fixing holes in the hole which I'll have to block up from the
large un-fanned flue of the boiler I'm replacing.

There are various ways I could work around the problem but the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

Cements/mortars take weeks to reach full strength, and this is a case
where you need full strength, not just set. Plaster doesn't have the
same strength.

I would look for something which reaches full strength much faster,
such as one of the resin suggestions, possibly mixed with some fibres.

If you can get a brick well mortared in the hole, such that the fixing
goes into the brick and not the mortar, then a fast setting cement
might just be acceptable, if you can drill the hole without vibrating
the mortar to bits (or if you're really clever, before you mortar the
brick in;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
Is there such a thing? The boiler I have to replace on Monday will have
one of its fixing holes in the hole which I'll have to block up from the
large un-fanned flue of the boiler I'm replacing.

There are various ways I could work around the problem but the ideal would
be a mortar that sets in, say, 30 mins - 1 hour.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

Just buy a rapid set additive and mix it in with water you make standard
mortar with ... works a treat .. any Bldr merchant will have it ... even in
small 1 Liter bottles.
Last time I was in B&Q they stocked it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:07:37 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Just buy a rapid set additive and mix it in with water you make standard
mortar with ... works a treat .. any Bldr merchant will have it ... even
in small 1 Liter bottles.
Last time I was in B&Q they stocked it.

Thanks. I've bought some of the Wickes stuff now in little bags but for
future reference how quickly does the additive stuff make the mortar go
off?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

An atheist is a person with no invisible means of support
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:11:18 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you can get a brick well mortared in the hole, such that the fixing
goes into the brick and not the mortar, then a fast setting cement
might just be acceptable, if you can drill the hole without vibrating
the mortar to bits (or if you're really clever, before you mortar the
brick in

Yes the fixing will go into the (Thermalite) block and I can do it with a
multi-material drill without hammer so as long as the mortar sets
reasonably stiffly it should be OK even if it takes much longer to get to
full strength.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

How odd of God But not so odd as those who choose
To choose the Jews A Jewish god, yet spurn the Jews
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:07:37 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Just buy a rapid set additive and mix it in with water you make standard
mortar with ... works a treat .. any Bldr merchant will have it ... even
in small 1 Liter bottles.
Last time I was in B&Q they stocked it.

Thanks. I've bought some of the Wickes stuff now in little bags but for
future reference how quickly does the additive stuff make the mortar go
off?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

An atheist is a person with no invisible means of support

Depends how much of it you add ... there is a chart on the lable.
But this is not something that goes off in minutes.

Used for outdoor work that needs to go off before rain or frost is due.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:26:23 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

Depends how much of it you add ... there is a chart on the lable.
But this is not something that goes off in minutes.

Used for outdoor work that needs to go off before rain or frost is due.

Ahh, OK, I'll look at a bottle when I come across one but it sounds like
a lot longer-setting than I need. Thanks anyhow.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

DEATH TO FANATICS!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:55:02 +0000, YAPH wrote:

Yes the fixing will go into the (Thermalite) block and I can do it with
a multi-material drill without hammer so as long as the mortar sets
reasonably stiffly it should be OK even if it takes much longer to get
to full strength.

If anyone's interested the Wickes quick-setting mortar pretty much did what
it said on the tin (well, packet). Mortared in the block, stopped for
lunch, went back and fixed the boiler frame. Could probably have done it
sooner but was getting peckish.

I've got some left over and will remember it for next time I have to fix
sunken fittings for a shower mixer valve or electrical back-boxes into
gashed-out holes - should be ideal for that (though bonding plaster would
also do).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The astronomer married a star

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:55:02 +0000, YAPH wrote:

Yes the fixing will go into the (Thermalite) block and I can do it with
a multi-material drill without hammer so as long as the mortar sets
reasonably stiffly it should be OK even if it takes much longer to get
to full strength.

If anyone's interested the Wickes quick-setting mortar pretty much did what
it said on the tin (well, packet). Mortared in the block, stopped for
lunch, went back and fixed the boiler frame. Could probably have done it
sooner but was getting peckish.

I've got some left over and will remember it for next time I have to fix
sunken fittings for a shower mixer valve or electrical back-boxes into
gashed-out holes - should be ideal for that (though bonding plaster would
also do).

I find body filler useful for an instant fix, even if it's only at one
or two key points to hold something in position while you fill the bulk
with something else.
I'm ashamed to say I even used it recently to pack out a pair of door
hinges. Needs must when you can't find anything the thickness of a 1p coin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:29:34 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I find body filler useful for an instant fix, even if it's only at one
or two key points to hold something in position while you fill the bulk
with something else.
I'm ashamed to say I even used it recently to pack out a pair of door
hinges. Needs must when you can't find anything the thickness of a 1p
coin

And why not? You can always trim it with an angle grinder...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:29:34 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I find body filler useful for an instant fix, even if it's only at one
or two key points to hold something in position while you fill the bulk
with something else.
I'm ashamed to say I even used it recently to pack out a pair of door
hinges. Needs must when you can't find anything the thickness of a 1p
coin

And why not? You can always trim it with an angle grinder...

Get your timing right and it's as easy as cutting cheese. You normally
have a couple of minutes to sculpt, even more with smaller amounts where
less heat is generated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
YAPH wrote:
[...]

The wooden stirrers from McDonalds are ideal for this. I always pinch a
handful when I go in for a cup of tea :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
YAPH wrote:
[...]

Now that's worth remembering. I shall probably start picking up lolly
sticks in the street now, but then never need to pack a hinge ever again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The wooden stirrers from McDonalds are ideal for this. I always pinch a
handful when I go in for a cup of tea :-)

Jesus wept., I don't go into McDonalds for a start, and I certainly
would never ever drink what they sell as 'tea'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The wooden stirrers from McDonalds are ideal for this. I always
pinch a handful when I go in for a cup of tea :-)

Jesus wept., I don't go into McDonalds for a start, and I certainly
would never ever drink what they sell as 'tea'

They make a very nice cuppa FYI.

We have 6 McD's in the Medway Towns, very handy for toilet & refreshment
breaks.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Mortar Mix John UK diy 4 May 13th 09 06:36 PM
How much mortar Zen83237 UK diy 20 February 3rd 09 03:03 PM
Using Mortar Greg Home Repair 6 February 5th 07 05:13 AM
How quick is quick curing silicone? Nicholas UK diy 4 January 6th 05 10:00 PM
Mortar Mix BigWallop UK diy 12 July 5th 03 11:46 PM