Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default quick set mortar?

YAPH wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:55:02 +0000, YAPH wrote:

Yes the fixing will go into the (Thermalite) block and I can do it with
a multi-material drill without hammer so as long as the mortar sets
reasonably stiffly it should be OK even if it takes much longer to get
to full strength.

If anyone's interested the Wickes quick-setting mortar pretty much did what
it said on the tin (well, packet). Mortared in the block, stopped for
lunch, went back and fixed the boiler frame. Could probably have done it
sooner but was getting peckish.

I've got some left over and will remember it for next time I have to fix
sunken fittings for a shower mixer valve or electrical back-boxes into
gashed-out holes - should be ideal for that (though bonding plaster would
also do).

I find body filler useful for an instant fix, even if it's only at one
or two key points to hold something in position while you fill the bulk
with something else.
I'm ashamed to say I even used it recently to pack out a pair of door
hinges. Needs must when you can't find anything the thickness of a 1p coin