Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default quick set mortar?

stuart noble wrote:
YAPH wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:55:02 +0000, YAPH wrote:

Yes the fixing will go into the (Thermalite) block and I can do it
with a multi-material drill without hammer so as long as the mortar
sets reasonably stiffly it should be OK even if it takes much
longer to get to full strength.

If anyone's interested the Wickes quick-setting mortar pretty much
did what it said on the tin (well, packet). Mortared in the block,
stopped for lunch, went back and fixed the boiler frame. Could
probably have done it sooner but was getting peckish.

I've got some left over and will remember it for next time I have to
fix sunken fittings for a shower mixer valve or electrical
back-boxes into gashed-out holes - should be ideal for that (though
bonding plaster would also do).

I find body filler useful for an instant fix, even if it's only at one
or two key points to hold something in position while you fill the
bulk with something else.
I'm ashamed to say I even used it recently to pack out a pair of door
hinges. Needs must when you can't find anything the thickness of a 1p
coin

The wooden stirrers from McDonalds are ideal for this. I always pinch a
handful when I go in for a cup of tea :-)