Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Mobile unlocking and phone numbers

Hi All,

Long time no post!

I am considering moving my Nokia 5140 across from Orange to o2, but
don't know much about the process.

There is a little man on the local market who does unlocking for £10
which seems reasonable.

What is involved here?

Does the phone get flashed?

Will I loose all my numbers? If so, can I use the Nokia utility to
backup before the flash and restore after. If so I will have to go
cable shopping.

Am I just worrying about nothing and all the numbers will still be
there?

TIA

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi All,

Long time no post!

I am considering moving my Nokia 5140 across from Orange to o2, but
don't know much about the process.

There is a little man on the local market who does unlocking for £10
which seems reasonable.

Try this site.

http://unlock.nokiafree.org/5140

What is involved here?

Does the phone get flashed?

Shouldn't do.

Will I loose all my numbers? If so, can I use the Nokia utility to
backup before the flash and restore after. If so I will have to go
cable shopping.

Your numbers are most unlikely to get loose. You might lose them but I
think that's unlikely too. Always wise to back up though and you can always
use a pencil & paper.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 11:38, wrote:
Hi All,

Long time no post!

I am considering moving my Nokia 5140 across from Orange to o2, but
don't know much about the process.

There is a little man on the local market who does unlocking for £10
which seems reasonable.

What is involved here?

Does the phone get flashed?

Will I loose all my numbers? *If so, can I use the Nokia utility to
backup before the flash and restore after. *If so I will have to go
cable shopping.

Am I just worrying about nothing and all the numbers will still be
there?

TIA

Chris

Hi, Surely, if your phone book numbers are saved to the phone from the
Sim card..which you should check....on the phone book menu..
then, the phone holds the numbers, not the card so you just change the
orange sim for the o2 one and it will work...
The unlocking is so you can use the 02 card in an orange phone.
There are lots of sites which offer the service..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi All,

Long time no post!

I am considering moving my Nokia 5140 across from Orange to o2, but
don't know much about the process.

There is a little man on the local market who does unlocking for £10
which seems reasonable.

What is involved here?

Does the phone get flashed?

Will I loose all my numbers? If so, can I use the Nokia utility to
backup before the flash and restore after. If so I will have to go
cable shopping.

Am I just worrying about nothing and all the numbers will still be
there?

If ya that worried use the nokia software to back it up... Free from their
webshyte

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go to the website recommended above, and follow the instructions there to
get your unlocking code. To find out your phone IMEI type *#06#

Once unlocked you need a new sim card. Phone your existing network helpline
and they will provide you with a code (forgot the name) that you will then
provide your new network so that your number will get transferred to the new
network.

Nothing should be lost on your phone as a result.

wrote in message
Hi All,

Long time no post!

I am considering moving my Nokia 5140 across from Orange to o2, but
don't know much about the process.

There is a little man on the local market who does unlocking for £10
which seems reasonable.

What is involved here?

Does the phone get flashed?

Will I loose all my numbers? If so, can I use the Nokia utility to
backup before the flash and restore after. If so I will have to go
cable shopping.

Am I just worrying about nothing and all the numbers will still be
there?

TIA

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 14:28, "JoeJoe" wrote:
Go to the website recommended above, and follow the instructions there to
get your unlocking code. To find out your phone IMEI type *#06#

Once unlocked you need a new sim card. Phone your existing network helpline
and they will provide you with a code (forgot the name) that you will then
provide your new network so that your number will get transferred to the new
network.

Nothing should be lost on your phone as a result.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Phone is now unlocked!

I will get organising a new SIM and PAC.

Cheers.

Chris