Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Lean-to greenhouse: Would 38 x 38 sawn timber be strong enough for frame?

It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:38:18 +0000, MM wrote:

It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall 0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I can
get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

IANASE*, but gut feeling is that if you use some sort of half-truss
arrangement for the roof (which will also anchor the tops of the walls
and stop them from bowing) you should be OK. A diagonal brace across the
side wall wouldn't hurt either, just to help prevent flexing in high
winds.

* I am not a structural engineer

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 19, 2:38*pm, MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

MM

It'll work, just about. I woudnt go that small though! Why not get the
wood free, get a garden cut leylandii and quarter it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

Make sure its treated.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:43:38 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

Make sure its treated.

I plan to dunk the timber in creocote (creosote substitute) prior to
assembly. It's what my dad used for building a number of poultry
houses on our smallholding in 1957.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:14:12 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38*pm, MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

MM

It'll work, just about. I woudnt go that small though! Why not get the
wood free, get a garden cut leylandii and quarter it.

Next size up is quite a bit thicker. 47 x 50, as I recall, though
Focus didn't have a big selection in Spalding. Perhaps *too*
substantial for a little lean-to, I'd have thought? Mind you, if I
could find it, 47 x 50 wouldn't be that much more expensive. I just
reckon I can make a darn sight better job DIY than the commercial
aluminium lean-tos that can cost over £200 for a 4' x 2'. I reckon I
can do it for £100 or less. Horti glass here is £3 per 457mm x 610mm
sheet.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

This might do you?

http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/p...reenhouse.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

why not just buy rough sawn pressure treated from a timber merchant?

?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

I've seen it. It's a horrid little thing. From the advertising blurb:
"The Ridge Height is 5'4" and the Door is 3'9" high."

Okay for midgets, I suppose!

At least the Eden Clearline lean-to (an alternative product) has a
decent ridge height, but it's another 70 quid, and then they want
another 30 quid for the "base" - just a rectangle of sheet steel: £30
ka-ching!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

Next size up is quite a bit thicker. 47 x 50, as I recall, though
Focus didn't have a big selection in Spalding.

Does Andrews in Little London still operate as a proper woodyard, or is
it just a low-brow DIY hut now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

They don't compete on price with B and Q, let alone Focus, where I, as
a senior citizen now get 15% discount until 18th April. I've since
worked out that I'll need about 16.2m of 38 x 38. I'm quite used to
dowelling offcuts together end to end to minimise wastage. That'll
cost me around £17 from Focus with the 15% discount (buying in packs
of 4). Haven't yet worked out the total glass area, but let's say a
ballpark of 10 panels (457 x 610) at £3 each = £30. Well, my lean-to
is already looking vastly cheaper than the spindly, low-ridged
alu-framed things on the web. The only thing they have going for them
is the polycarbonate, but all I have to hope for is no hail.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Does Andrews in Little London still operate as a proper woodyard, or is
it just a low-brow DIY hut now?

Both apparently

http://www.andrewsdiy.co.uk/timber.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

Try asking for discount then.

And also, ask yourself why not.

Could it be that their wood is actually suitable for construction, after
all?

I've since
worked out that I'll need about 16.2m of 38 x 38. I'm quite used to
dowelling offcuts together end to end to minimise wastage. That'll
cost me around £17 from Focus with the 15% discount (buying in packs
of 4). Haven't yet worked out the total glass area, but let's say a
ballpark of 10 panels (457 x 610) at £3 each = £30. Well, my lean-to
is already looking vastly cheaper than the spindly, low-ridged
alu-framed things on the web. The only thing they have going for them
is the polycarbonate, but all I have to hope for is no hail.

Holy crap Ebenezer, if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well, surely?
Not dowelled together bits of B&Q leylandii offcuts..

Oh and hail isn't the killer, its stones thrown up by the ride on and
flying bits of hedge from the farmers flail.

Or next doors airgun toting teenager..

However my experience is that its still cheaper than polycarb, even if
it needs a couple of new panes very year.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:35:24 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

MM wrote:

Next size up is quite a bit thicker. 47 x 50, as I recall, though
Focus didn't have a big selection in Spalding.

Does Andrews in Little London still operate as a proper woodyard, or is
it just a low-brow DIY hut now?

They have ~some~ timber, but the last time I was there it wasn't a
great choice. And not especially cheap, either.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Mar 19, 2:38*pm, MM wrote:
[...]

I'd probably go with 3x3 for something that small. You can get
pretreated 3x3 fence posts.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

If the pennies are really that tight....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4uH...eature=related

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This might do you?

http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/p...reenhouse.html

I've seen it. It's a horrid little thing. From the advertising blurb:
"The Ridge Height is 5'4" and the Door is 3'9" high."

Okay for midgets, I suppose!

At 2 feet deep I don't imagine you'd be getting inside it :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:53:24 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

This might do you?

http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/p...reenhouse.html

I've seen it. It's a horrid little thing. From the advertising blurb:
"The Ridge Height is 5'4" and the Door is 3'9" high."

Okay for midgets, I suppose!

At 2 feet deep I don't imagine you'd be getting inside it :-)

I'm a short-arse. But not ~that~ short!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
[...]

Okay, I finally rejected the treated timber, because when I went down
to Andrews in Spalding all the treated stuff was outside and soaking
wet. I didn't relish the thought of working with wet wood. So I
compared prices and their kiln dry sawn timber was only a little bit
more expensive, so I'm using that. Size 47 x 50 approx.

For cheapish glass replacement I've found a product called SAN safety
glazing at £4.20 a sheet (457 x 610), but I've yet to receive feedback
from the company (I always ask a question of a new supplier in order
to gauge whether they are a good risk or not).

However, If I used horti glass, what do you think of the idea of
covering each pane both sides with thin transparent plastic? I have
spray mount adhesive that I use in other work and I was thinking of
the cheap plastic sheeting off the roll at the garden centre (cheap as
chips), then cutting two pieces, sticking them to the pane with the
spray mount, then 'clamping' the 'sandwich' into the wooden frame with
lipping bezels. Or is this all a bit OTT? The concerns would be: the
plastic could detach itself from the glass over time and start
flapping in the wind, making making irritating noise. Or the plastic
would discolour over time (how long, though?). The big advantage is
the safety of having any broken pane contained within the plastic
sheets.

The GH is coming along really nicely, by the way. Should be finished
in a few days. And vastly cheaper than anything you can buy.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

Make sure its treated.

I plan to dunk the timber in creocote (creosote substitute) prior to
assembly. It's what my dad used for building a number of poultry
houses on our smallholding in 1957.

MM

Ah, that wonderful "shed" smell. Were the poultry on a "legal high"
most of the time ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

Okay, I finally rejected the treated timber, because when I went down
to Andrews in Spalding all the treated stuff was outside and soaking
wet.

So?

treated will last 15 years in wet soil, untreated about 2.

[...]

Broken panes are a fact of life with horti glass.

I wouldn't bother with anything frankly.

You will want to scrub it occasionally to remove dust dirt and lichen,
anyway. Pressure washer good.

The GH is coming along really nicely, by the way. Should be finished
in a few days. And vastly cheaper than anything you can buy.

I had an old Al frame, and some of its glass. The glass didn't survive
being stored, and nore did half th new glass carefully transported home.
there was a bolt head under the boot carpet that cracked the lower
sheets from the weight of the upper.

All in all the glass cost nearly as much as a new greenhouse would have.

Frames are cheap. Glass is not.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Okay, I finally rejected the treated timber, because when I went down
to Andrews in Spalding all the treated stuff was outside and soaking
wet. I didn't relish the thought of working with wet wood. So I

It soon dries out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:35:23 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:

[...]

I've since found acrylic 'glass' sheets 3mm thick for £4.95 (457 x
610) on the web, which I'm probably going to go for. Adds another 30
quid to the project, though -

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:
MM wrote:
It will have horticultural glass 457mm x 610mm.

Approx dimensions Width 1.4m x ridge height 1.8m x depth to wall
0.65m.

I can add stifferners as required. This will lean to a brick
south-facing wall.

38mm x 38mm is readily available in 2.4m lengths from Focus, where I
can get a 15% discount for the next week or so.

Make sure its treated.

I plan to dunk the timber in creocote (creosote substitute) prior to
assembly. It's what my dad used for building a number of poultry
houses on our smallholding in 1957.

MM

Ah, that wonderful "shed" smell. Were the poultry on a "legal high"
most of the time ?

They were probably overcome from the creosote fumes! Actually, that
probably got 'em out of doors and eating worms instead of gorging on
poultry food.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:10:14 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

If the pennies are really that tight....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4uH...eature=related

God, what an ugly monstrosity!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I had an old Al frame, and some of its glass. The glass didn't survive
being stored, and nore did half th new glass carefully transported home.
there was a bolt head under the boot carpet that cracked the lower
sheets from the weight of the upper.

Ah, I was advised two hours ago by my local glass supplier that this
occurred because you transported the sheets flat (I didn't mention
your name!). He said one should NEVER transport or store them flat,
but on the edge. He offered to deliver my order (horti glass) for free
on his way home, so I'm back to using glass now!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I had an old Al frame, and some of its glass. The glass didn't survive
being stored, and nore did half th new glass carefully transported home.
there was a bolt head under the boot carpet that cracked the lower
sheets from the weight of the upper.

Ah, I was advised two hours ago by my local glass supplier that this
occurred because you transported the sheets flat (I didn't mention
your name!). He said one should NEVER transport or store them flat,
but on the edge. He offered to deliver my order (horti glass) for free
on his way home, so I'm back to using glass now!

MM

Even horticulatural glass should outlast acrylic. The plastic gets
scratched, dull & cloudy over time, ends up an eyesore.

NT