Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small, manual start, diesel generators - do they exist?

We will soon have a boat, in France, which has a diesel main engine
and lots of batteries which will need charging at various times.

Most of the time we'll probably use shore power and we may also get
some solar panels for maintaining the batteries but it would be good
to be able to charge the batteries 'independently' as it were when
we're moored somewhere with no shore power for example.

So, can one get small diesel powered generators, just a few hundred
watts would be ample, which can be started manually (i.e. without a
battery)? If such are available where should I be looking?

Diesel would be safer and more practical than petrol because we'll
have diesel on board for the main engines and the heating.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
We will soon have a boat, in France, which has a diesel main engine
and lots of batteries which will need charging at various times.

Most of the time we'll probably use shore power and we may also get
some solar panels for maintaining the batteries but it would be good
to be able to charge the batteries 'independently' as it were when
we're moored somewhere with no shore power for example.

So, can one get small diesel powered generators, just a few hundred
watts would be ample, which can be started manually (i.e. without a
battery)? If such are available where should I be looking?

Diesel would be safer and more practical than petrol because we'll
have diesel on board for the main engines and the heating.

Do you have gas for cooking?
If so, you can modify petrol generators to run on bottled gas.
Camping and motorhoming sites would have the details.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
We will soon have a boat, in France, which has a diesel main engine
and lots of batteries which will need charging at various times.

Most of the time we'll probably use shore power and we may also get
some solar panels for maintaining the batteries but it would be good
to be able to charge the batteries 'independently' as it were when
we're moored somewhere with no shore power for example.

So, can one get small diesel powered generators, just a few hundred
watts would be ample, which can be started manually (i.e. without a
battery)? If such are available where should I be looking?

Diesel would be safer and more practical than petrol because we'll
have diesel on board for the main engines and the heating.

Chris Green

A friend of mine has one of these on his boat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/110448752958

its Chinese, very noisy, but very cheap and seems to work ok.

--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
wrote in message ...
[...]

It occurs to me that a model aicraft diesel engine coupled to a
brushless motor wired as a three phase alternator might fit the bill.

Starting is another matter however! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2010 15:30, David WE Roberts wrote:

Do you have gas for cooking?
If so, you can modify petrol generators to run on bottled gas.
Camping and motorhoming sites would have the details.

People are wary of gas on boats, for good reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/03/2010 15:30, David WE Roberts wrote:

Do you have gas for cooking?
If so, you can modify petrol generators to run on bottled gas.
Camping and motorhoming sites would have the details.

People are wary of gas on boats, for good reason.

Depends on the boat and the installation.

Many (most?) narrow boats have gas heating and cooking with the gas bottles
stored outside in a gas locker.

An outside gas locker can be more difficult in a GRP sailing boat.

The biggest problem (especially with Broads cruisers) used to be petrol in
the bilges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

wrote in message ...
We will soon have a boat, in France, which has a diesel main engine
and lots of batteries which will need charging at various times.

Most of the time we'll probably use shore power and we may also get
some solar panels for maintaining the batteries but it would be good
to be able to charge the batteries 'independently' as it were when
we're moored somewhere with no shore power for example.

So, can one get small diesel powered generators, just a few hundred
watts would be ample, which can be started manually (i.e. without a
battery)? If such are available where should I be looking?

Diesel would be safer and more practical than petrol because we'll
have diesel on board for the main engines and the heating.

Do you have gas for cooking?
If so, you can modify petrol generators to run on bottled gas.
Camping and motorhoming sites would have the details.

That's a thought I suppose, we do have gas for cooking.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

.... but that's electric start which is exactly what I don't want as I
don't want yet *another* battery to maintain. I want something fail
safe such that if batteries are all flat I can still get myself up and
running.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
Mike wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

... but that's electric start

NO it also has a pull start

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:41:41 +0000, wrote:

So, can one get small diesel powered generators, just a few

hundred
watts would be ample,

Would "a few hundred watts" be enough? I'd expect you'd like to the
batteries to recharge in less time than it took to dischrage them...

which can be started manually

A friend of mine has one of these on his boat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/110448752958

its Chinese, very noisy, but very cheap and seems to work ok.

Very similar to the 2kVA or there abouts one I have. It is *very*
noisy but a decent exhaust and silencer may help that. Mine seems OK
as well but doesn't get much use.

.... but that's electric start ...

So is mine but you can pull start it, there is a knack to that
though. You have to get it spinning about as fast as you can from
multiple pulls with the compression removed (you can't sensibly pull
a diesel through compression like you can a petrol engine) drop the
compression in and hope the flywheel has enough umph to take it
through and fire. It then coughs and splutters for a bit producing
rather large quantities of smoke before running up to speed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

wrote in message ...
Mike wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Ah, that wasn't clear from the Ebay advert. I'll take a harder look,
thank you.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Yes, pretty standard on diesels that.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 4:20*am, wrote:
We will soon have a boat, in France, which has a diesel main engine
and lots of batteries which will need charging at various times.

Most of the time we'll probably use shore power and we may also get
some solar panels for maintaining the batteries but it would be good
to be able to charge the batteries 'independently' as it were when
we're moored somewhere with no shore power for example.

So, can one get small diesel powered generators, just a few hundred
watts would be ample, which can be started manually (i.e. without a
battery)? *If such are available where should I be looking?

Diesel would be safer and more practical than petrol because we'll
have diesel on board for the main engines and the heating.

--
Chris Green

You have it already, the motor and alternator, you may need to just
upgrade the alternator, or not. Thats what I did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

So is mine but you can pull start it, there is a knack to that
though. You have to get it spinning about as fast as you can from
multiple pulls with the compression removed (you can't sensibly pull
a diesel through compression like you can a petrol engine) drop the
compression in and hope the flywheel has enough umph to take it
through and fire. It then coughs and splutters for a bit producing
rather large quantities of smoke before running up to speed.

Yes, pretty standard on diesels that.

Reminds me of that Three men in a Boat mini-series where Griff was left
to try to start this ancient diesel engine in the riverboat... 10 minutes
heating the cylinder head with a blowtorch first, then rocking the crank
back and forth before building up enough momentum to turn it over...

What a wrist breaker that looked!

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article , wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

So is mine but you can pull start it, there is a knack to that
though. You have to get it spinning about as fast as you can from
multiple pulls with the compression removed (you can't sensibly pull
a diesel through compression like you can a petrol engine) drop the
compression in and hope the flywheel has enough umph to take it
through and fire. It then coughs and splutters for a bit producing
rather large quantities of smoke before running up to speed.

Yes, pretty standard on diesels that.

Reminds me of that Three men in a Boat mini-series where Griff was left
to try to start this ancient diesel engine in the riverboat... 10 minutes
heating the cylinder head with a blowtorch first, then rocking the crank
back and forth before building up enough momentum to turn it over...

What a wrist breaker that looked!

The best way to star diesels that dont have glo plugs is either there,
or throw a rag soaked in diesel in the air intake, and light it.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Reminds me of that Three men in a Boat mini-series where Griff was
left to try to start this ancient diesel engine in the riverboat... 10
minutes heating the cylinder head with a blowtorch first, then rocking
the crank back and forth before building up enough momentum to turn it
over...

What a wrist breaker that looked!

The best way to star diesels that dont have glo plugs is either there,
or throw a rag soaked in diesel in the air intake, and light it.

Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the battery
is flat?

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:20:16 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article , wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

So is mine but you can pull start it, there is a knack to that though.
You have to get it spinning about as fast as you can from multiple
pulls with the compression removed (you can't sensibly pull a diesel
through compression like you can a petrol engine) drop the compression
in and hope the flywheel has enough umph to take it through and fire.
It then coughs and splutters for a bit producing rather large
quantities of smoke before running up to speed.

Yes, pretty standard on diesels that.

Reminds me of that Three men in a Boat mini-series where Griff was left
to try to start this ancient diesel engine in the riverboat... 10
minutes heating the cylinder head with a blowtorch first, then rocking
the crank back and forth before building up enough momentum to turn it
over...

I remember doing that on a 3-cylinder Dorman - bloody hell it required
strong arms! I don't recall what the compression setup was now - I think
there was a lever to pull (but the mechanism was also hooked to a
solenoid, as the engine had a 24V starter, generator and control
switchboard so that it could start itself if the power died)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The best way to star diesels that dont have glo plugs is either there,
or throw a rag soaked in diesel in the air intake, and light it.

Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the battery
is flat?

Either ether or easy start will do. Suspect that's what TNP typed
before his spiel chucker got to it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The best way to star diesels that dont have glo plugs is either
there, or throw a rag soaked in diesel in the air intake, and light it.

Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the battery
is flat?

Either ether or easy start will do. Suspect that's what TNP typed
before his spiel chucker got to it.

ether, it should have read..

AKA Easy start.
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-03-11, Andy Champ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The best way to star diesels that dont have glo plugs is either there,
or throw a rag soaked in diesel in the air intake, and light it.
Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the battery
is flat?

Either ether or easy start will do. Suspect that's what TNP typed
before his spiel chucker got to it.

Get some of the magnificently named "Start, Ya *******."

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Sta...ngine_Starter/

from the country that gave us 'sticks like ****'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:00:22 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the
battery is flat?

I wouldn't use easy start or similar without very good reason and a
dire need to get the engine started. My little diesel genset has
electric start and the battery is connected to a small solar panel
(in the hope of) keeping it topped up. If the battery is flat, I can
pull start it.

Easy start goes with rather more of a bang than diesel and can damage
the engine, resulting in it becoming "addicted" to the stuff, ie
won't start, ever, without "easy start".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 1:02 pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:00:22 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the
battery is flat?

I wouldn't use easy start or similar without very good reason and a
dire need to get the engine started. My little diesel genset has
electric start and the battery is connected to a small solar panel
(in the hope of) keeping it topped up. If the battery is flat, I can
pull start it.

Easy start goes with rather more of a bang than diesel and can damage
the engine, resulting in it becoming "addicted" to the stuff, ie
won't start, ever, without "easy start".

--
Cheers
Dave.

indeed - I think it accelerates wear of/"proper shags" the piston
rings and makes it very hard/impossible to hand start without a
"sniff".

Cheers
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2010 09:44, Huge wrote:

Get some of the magnificently named "Start, Ya *******."

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Sta...ngine_Starter/

Aw, ye didn't point at the magnificently pictured "Start, Ya *******."
Girls ...

http://www.startya*******.com/fun.php

Start engines, they do ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Can't you get an aerosol of 'easy start' or whatever for when the battery
is flat?

Http://www.nulon-uk.com/products/aer...art-ya-*******

I won a competition on their website just before Christmas and was
gutted not to get a tin of the stuff as a prize.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
Easy start goes with rather more of a bang than diesel and can damage
the engine, resulting in it becoming "addicted" to the stuff, ie
won't start, ever, without "easy start".

Easystart tends to be used on knackered engines or engines with a fault,
all it really does is enable the owner to ignore the fault until it gets
to the point where the engine won't start at all unless it has a sniff
of ether.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:08:17 +0000, Clint Sharp wrote:

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
Easy start goes with rather more of a bang than diesel and can damage
the engine, resulting in it becoming "addicted" to the stuff, ie won't
start, ever, without "easy start".

Easystart tends to be used on knackered engines or engines with a fault,
all it really does is enable the owner to ignore the fault until it gets
to the point where the engine won't start at all unless it has a sniff
of ether.

Or brake parts cleaner as we used on one snowmobile engine a couple of
months back...

OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...? Kenneth Woodworking 73 November 25th 07 12:17 AM
50" Mitsubishi Projection TV - Shutdown - I need a Manual if it exist? [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 November 9th 07 06:53 PM
Small (cheap) generators News UK diy 14 August 23rd 07 09:39 PM
Small *diesel* generators zxcvbob Home Repair 6 June 9th 07 01:22 PM
Anyone heard of cheap small PSA Nitrogen/Oxygen generators? Bruce L. Bergman Metalworking 3 August 1st 05 03:23 PM