Bruce L. Bergman

Default Anyone heard of cheap small PSA Nitrogen/Oxygen generators?

I've been thinking... (Yeah, that can be dangerous...)

They've been making Oxygen generators for years for medical uses,
and the Nitrogen tire filling craze is upon us... And both gases are
used a lot in the home shop and small industrial settings, too.

And Murphy has it rigged that you always seem to run out of gas at
the worst possible moment, like 5 minutes after the local supplier has
closed for the weekend. Or you live on an island, or on top of a
mountain three hours out of the closest town...

But the only price I can find for a small PSA Nitrogen system is
$5,000 from Ingersoll-Rand, and nothing on Oxygen system pricing
(though I didn't look that hard on that side).

And since the system is basically passing the one gas through to the
storage tank, and adsorbing and throwing out the other, couldn't you
use one machine, two storage tanks, and have them both? Conveniently
separated, the Oxygen stored at anything above 50 PSI which is plenty
for welding and cutting, and the Nitrogen for tires and a shield/purge
gas?

And since it's for shop use, neither gas needs to be 99.999+% pure,
or USP certified, or rated for gas chromatography machine usage - it
just has to work, and not take up an acre of floor space. That should
lower the price significantly. Let the buyer supply their own two
stage compressor and air dryer, any decent shop needs them anyway.

There's a market niche to be filled here... Harbor Freight,
Northern Tool, are you listening?

-- Bruce --

Mungo Bulge

http://www.oxymat.dk/
Oxygen from 0,9 - 216 Nm3/hour priced accordingly @ 80 - 90%
"Based on our well proven Oxygen Generator Systems. Oxymat A/S is
developing a new
standard series of PSA Nitrogen Generators"

Somebody has been reading our newsgroup.

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in
message ...
| I've been thinking... (Yeah, that can be dangerous...)
|
| They've been making Oxygen generators for years for medical uses,
| and the Nitrogen tire filling craze is upon us... And both gases
are
| used a lot in the home shop and small industrial settings, too.
|
| And Murphy has it rigged that you always seem to run out of gas at
| the worst possible moment, like 5 minutes after the local supplier
has
| closed for the weekend. Or you live on an island, or on top of a
| mountain three hours out of the closest town...
|
| But the only price I can find for a small PSA Nitrogen system is
| $5,000 from Ingersoll-Rand, and nothing on Oxygen system pricing
| (though I didn't look that hard on that side).
|
| And since the system is basically passing the one gas through to
the
| storage tank, and adsorbing and throwing out the other, couldn't you
| use one machine, two storage tanks, and have them both?
Conveniently
| separated, the Oxygen stored at anything above 50 PSI which is
plenty
| for welding and cutting, and the Nitrogen for tires and a
shield/purge
| gas?
|
| And since it's for shop use, neither gas needs to be 99.999+% pure,
| or USP certified, or rated for gas chromatography machine usage - it
| just has to work, and not take up an acre of floor space. That
should
| lower the price significantly. Let the buyer supply their own two
| stage compressor and air dryer, any decent shop needs them anyway.
|
| There's a market niche to be filled here... Harbor Freight,
| Northern Tool, are you listening?
|
| -- Bruce --

Mungo Bulge

This is how you do it. If nobody tells you that you cant do it than
you can.
Go for it. http://www.onsitegas.com/Downloads/w...rs/Laymans.pdf
The problem with using one system to produce both gasses appears to be
in the cleansing or purge cycle of the sieve. In both cases, the
unwanted gases are purged rapidly to cleanse the sieve. However, maybe
you could purge a Zeolite sieve into a vacuum, then pump the "waste" a
Nitrogen storage tank.

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in
message ...