Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft ladder - general and specific advice please...

I live in a modern (30yo) house. I want to fit a loft ladder. Does
anyone who has done this have any general or specific advise on the
various type available and what NOT to do etc. Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 2:51*pm, wrote:
I live in a modern (30yo) house. I want to fit a loft ladder. Does
anyone who has done this have any general or specific advise on the
various type available and what NOT to do etc. Thanks in advance.

1. make sure there is sufficient clearance for the ladder to fold up
properly without fouling other joists or the hatch opening.
2. secure the ladder top piece to a joist and not just a cross piece
between joists for the hatch opening. The folding and unfolding the
ladder could place to much strain on it.
3. an outwards opening hatch door makes life easier.

I was in a top floor flat up until about 18 month ago and a cheap loft
ladder from B&Q was just the job. The hatch was an outward opening
plastic affair but served the purpose (also from B&Q by the look of
it). My new house is 40ish years old and has an inward opening piece
of thick plywood. The layout of the stairwell, landing bannister and
roof beams & joists makes it difficult to place a loft latter. I
haven't done much about it yet as I now have a Garage to keep all my
crap in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I live in a modern (30yo) house. I want to fit a loft ladder. Does
anyone who has done this have any general or specific advise on the
various type available and what NOT to do etc. Thanks in advance.

get a Youngman Ladder .. they are built for the job, and firm will be
there in years to come if you need spares.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I live in a modern (30yo) house. I want to fit a loft ladder. Does
anyone who has done this have any general or specific advise on the
various type available and what NOT to do etc. Thanks in advance.

Assuming you have a reasonable sized hatch and headroom then the wooden loft
ladders from B&Q are good.
I like mine much better than the piece of aluminium crap it replaced.
Then again, that was possibly the cheapest and nastiest loft ladder I have
ever come across.

I have also fitted an alloy one in my previous house (previous owners took
the ladder with them!) .
This was a 3 part one and reasonably O.K. but I like the wooden one better.

There was more effort fitting it - I had to fix a plywood platform in the
loft for the ladder to fix to - but the effort was worth it.

HTH

Dave R

Loft ladder [email protected] UK diy 3 February 28th 10 01:18 PM
correct use of a random orbital sander; general and Festool specific marc rosen Woodworking 6 June 23rd 08 03:07 AM
General & Specific Service Mode Questions (LCD TV) [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 21st 08 01:12 AM
Loft ladder Terry Pinnell UK diy 14 October 27th 04 04:36 PM
Loft ladder Rob Nicholson UK diy 20 January 20th 04 01:19 PM