Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Greenish debris coming from hot tap

On 3 Mar, 09:43, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Mar 1, 6:38 pm, JimK wrote:

On Mar 1, 6:29 pm, JimK wrote:

On Mar 1, 5:07 pm, None wrote:

On 1 Mar, 17:01, Chris J Dixon wrote:

None wrote:
We've had issues for ages now with our water supply. The mains supply
itself contains sediment, but the hot supply is giving us problems we
are baffled by.

The worst problem is when more than one hot tap is opened and demand
is higher around the house. What happens is that fairly large
particles, which I can only describe as being similar in appearance to
snots (no joke!) flow out with the water. I've been wondering for a
good while as to what the hell this stuff can be. You don't really see
it with just one tap opened, or demand being lower, but its an
unpleasant thing to have in your supply right?

I've talked to plumbers, they don't want to know really (because I
presume they have no clue how such crap could form in the hot water
cylinder). Live in Dublin btw, and never seen this in any house but
mine. Would appreciate input, cheers.

Do you have a header tank? If so, have a look in it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

There is some sediment on the bottom of the tank, I clean and
disinfect it every year. This problem with the hot tap has always been
there though..

Is it a private supply?
we had something similar a few years ago, lots of sediment in the
header tank - since removed for new system - I suspect the snots were
hot water dwelling "fungi" or equivalent lurking in the hot water
cylinder.

JimK

sorry for double post :~)(

with the bleach thing you could probly calculate the likely
time/"number of cylinders worth of water" to dilute however much
bleach you put in down to "nothing".

At first reading that sounds a bit like a homeopathic solution :-)

MBQ

nah no funding for that bollox these days
(except of course the running costs of 4 NHS homeopathy centres and a
recent £20m refurb of one UK homeopathic hospital....) sigh :)
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 3, 1:28*am, "Clot" wrote:
None wrote:
We've had issues for ages now with our water supply. The mains supply
itself contains sediment, but the hot supply is giving us problems we
are baffled by.

The worst problem is when more than one hot tap is opened and demand
is higher around the house. What happens is that fairly large
particles, which I can only describe as being similar in appearance to
snots (no joke!) flow out with the water. I've been wondering for a
good while as to what the hell this stuff can be. You don't really see
it with just one tap opened, or demand being lower, but its an
unpleasant thing to have in your supply right?

I've talked to plumbers, they don't want to know really (because I
presume they have no clue how such crap could form in the hot water
cylinder). Live in Dublin btw, and never seen this in any house but
mine. Would appreciate input, cheers.

Hi None, I've refrained from answering until now as we both know the
principal problem! I think you've had some good advice regarding both
clearance of the present situation and how to minimise problems in the
future. Sadly, the main cause is coming in via the mains and somehow that
grot has to be stopped. I take it you have had no joy with the Water Dept..?

Hi Clot,

I hadnt called the water depot since December 07, but I gave it a shot
today. They took my address, mobile number and said they'd leave it
with an engineer. I get the feeling nothing will come of it though, as
they saw me as a nuisance back then, so I may be red flagged!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not take a sample for analysis ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 4:08*pm, "Fergus O'Rourke" wrote:
Why not take a sample for analysis ?

Already done that some time ago... its safe to drink, and that's all
that matters to the city council. What I am experiencing with the
supply only counts as an aesthetic concern, so discolouration and very
noticeable amounts of sediment are acceptable. The problem is to with
iron bacteria and rust buildup in the mains on my road, and so it
needs to be flushed, or jetted. What really needs to happen though is
for the old cast iron mains to be replaced around the area, as that is
the root cause of the problem, but that won't happen. The problem

composting gutter debris Kyle Home Repair 2 November 23rd 09 03:35 AM
Debris in tap water... help needed None UK diy 56 June 25th 09 10:21 PM
Debris Chute MB Home Repair 7 December 27th 05 06:08 PM
On Topic: Frying Debris Patrick Conroy Woodworking 1 June 22nd 05 09:51 PM
hot water heater debris iradi8 Home Repair 6 January 24th 05 03:07 PM