Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opening for Patio Door

My mate is wanting to replace his sliding patio door set with a plastic
framed French window arrangement (with filler panes each side).

A guy who gave a quote suggested: "The way the bricks are laid above our
window (soldiers fashion -long edge vertical) and the horiz pointing
underneath not continuous with nearest level course of bricks, points to no
lintel ."

The house is early '80's. The opening is about 8ft. Is the expanation
correct? How can it be easily proven as it makes about £250 difference to
the quote. Would such an opening have no lintel? Could the soldier brick
just be a styling feature?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, John
wrote:
My mate is wanting to replace his sliding patio door set with a
plastic framed French window arrangement (with filler panes each
side).
A guy who gave a quote suggested: "The way the bricks are laid above
our window (soldiers fashion -long edge vertical) and the horiz
pointing underneath not continuous with nearest level course of
bricks, points to no lintel ."

The house is early '80's. The opening is about 8ft. Is the expanation
correct? How can it be easily proven as it makes about £250
difference to the quote. Would such an opening have no lintel? Could
the soldier brick just be a styling feature?

Dunno! I wouldn't have thought that Building Control would have allowed that
to be built without a lintel in the 1980's. Were they involved, or is it
part of a large development in which any (minimal) inspection would have
been carried out by the NHBRC?

If there *is* a lintel - or maybe a couple of lengths of angle (one for each
skin) you would certainly expect the bottom of the soldiers to line up with
one the courses either side of the opening - unless the lintel has some sort
of step at each end - which seems unlikely.

Probably the only way to find out is to chip away some of the pointing
immediately above the existing frame, and see if the edge of anything made
of steel is visible.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try searching with a magnet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The house is early '80's. The opening is about 8ft. Is the expanation
correct? How can it be easily proven as it makes about £250
difference to the quote. Would such an opening have no lintel? Could
the soldier brick just be a styling feature?

Dunno! I wouldn't have thought that Building Control would have allowed that
to be built without a lintel in the 1980's. Were they involved, or is it
part of a large development in which any (minimal) inspection would have
been carried out by the NHBRC?

I've just been working in a 1995 bungalow that had no lintel above the
bedroom window. The windows were being changed when i was there, and
although the bricks didnt fall down when the old window was removed,
they did certainly sag, so they were took out anyway. The bricky took 3
hours start to finish to replace them, and charged £60.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was on a course last year and was amazed to learn that windows are
considered to be structural components and take the weight of whatever
is above them. Maybe not in all cases, in fact definitely not now that
I think about it.

I think the guy who gave the quote has got it right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2010 19:24, Rednadnerb wrote:
I was on a course last year and was amazed to learn that windows are
considered to be structural components and take the weight of whatever
is above them. Maybe not in all cases, in fact definitely not now that
I think about it.

I think the guy who gave the quote has got it right.

I used to handle claims for one of the largest national double glazing
companies. A lot of their "surveyors" didnt seem to know that some
window frame parts were load bearing. Acrow props don't fit in with most
peoples decor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Invisible Man
wrote:
On 21/02/2010 19:24, Rednadnerb wrote:
I was on a course last year and was amazed to learn that windows are
considered to be structural components and take the weight of
whatever is above them. Maybe not in all cases, in fact definitely
not now that I think about it.

I think the guy who gave the quote has got it right.

I used to handle claims for one of the largest national double glazing
companies. A lot of their "surveyors" didnt seem to know that some
window frame parts were load bearing. Acrow props don't fit in with
most peoples decor.

And even if they did, the new plastic frames won't carry the load like the
wooden frames which they replace!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:33:26 -0000 Roger Mills wrote :
Dunno! I wouldn't have thought that Building Control would have allowed
that to be built without a lintel in the 1980's. Were they involved, or
is it part of a large development in which any (minimal) inspection
would have been carried out by the NHBRC?

When I was a BCO (1976-84) it wouldn't have been allowed. It's not
uncommon on older inter-war properties where the frame is made of 4x2
with mullions every two foot or so. My guess is a Catnic or similar steel
lintel - judicious removal of a little plaster on the top reveal next to
the frame should confirm.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 21/02/2010 19:24, Rednadnerb wrote:
I was on a course last year and was amazed to learn that windows are
considered to be structural components and take the weight of
whatever is above them. Maybe not in all cases, in fact definitely
not now that I think about it.

I think the guy who gave the quote has got it right.

I used to handle claims for one of the largest national double glazing
companies. A lot of their "surveyors" didnt seem to know that some
window frame parts were load bearing. Acrow props don't fit in with
most peoples decor.

And even if they did, the new plastic frames won't carry the load like the
wooden frames which they replace!

There are plenty of plastic frames with structural steel tubes in them -
unfortunately many installers seem to "forget" to place and pack a spreader
plate under the required points!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 21/02/2010 19:24, Rednadnerb wrote:
I was on a course last year and was amazed to learn that windows are
considered to be structural components and take the weight of
whatever is above them. Maybe not in all cases, in fact definitely
not now that I think about it.

I think the guy who gave the quote has got it right.

I used to handle claims for one of the largest national double glazing
companies. A lot of their "surveyors" didnt seem to know that some
window frame parts were load bearing. Acrow props don't fit in with
most peoples decor.

And even if they did, the new plastic frames won't carry the load like the
wooden frames which they replace!
--
Cheers,
Roger
_______
checked.

I believe the aluminium sliding doors are original. Hardwood trim / frame

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Does this work - does it help?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Training...t=directli nk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:50:14 -0000 John wrote :
I believe the aluminium sliding doors are original. Hardwood trim / frame

In that case I would 95% sure that there is some form of lintel
but the only way to be sure is to cut away a little plaster on
the window head and see what's underneath.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Tony Bryer
wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:50:14 -0000 John wrote :
I believe the aluminium sliding doors are original. Hardwood trim /
frame

In that case I would 95% sure that there is some form of lintel
but the only way to be sure is to cut away a little plaster on
the window head and see what's underneath.

.. . . or, even, above - or is it different in the antipodes?
--
Cheers,
Roger