Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending a wall

I need to extend an internal wall but only by about four inches. It
sticks out into a kitchen and needs to be a bit longer to reduce the
doorway gap. It is built from some form of concrete block, more a cinder
block than thermalite and the end of each alternate row is a single
upended brick. The finished wall will be plastered. As far as I can see
there are several alternatives.

1 – Cement an additional column of upended bricks to the end.

2 – Chip out the upright bricks and cement in bits of thermalite block
so it continues to be interlocking.

3 – Screw a piece of timber to the end with spacer pieces to ensure it
is in the right position. Infill with brick/cement. Then put gauze over
the new section before plastering.

4 – As 3 but hack off all the plaster and plasterboard in one go.

What does the team think would provide the best solution.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

3 – Screw a piece of timber to the end with spacer pieces to ensure it
is in the right position. Infill with brick/cement. Then put gauze over
the new section before plastering.

Yes, but no need for the brick/cement infill. Use framing timber, and
lots of fixings. 50*100mm studs would be fine.

I would do this in conjunction with fitting the door frame. Masonry
screws (e.g. multimonti) to fix the first stud to wall end (probably
uneven/off-vertical).

Do the same for the other side of the door frame.

Then fix (big screws, e.g. 6*100mm spax) the head timber that goes
directly above the door frame solidly between the two vertical timbers
attached to masonry.

Then screw a second stud to the first with such spacers as necessary
to bring it vertical and to the right position for the door frame.

Then any infill studs needed above the door frame.

Then plasterboard over the timber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 12, 10:07*am, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

None of the above.

For 4" just do it all in timber.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Andrew May
wrote:
[...]

There's little doubt in my mind that (2) is the best solution. (1) is
unlikely to work because you won't get good bonding, and the new bit will
crack away. I suppose that (3) *might* work. (4) sounds like a hell of a lot
of work, and it's not that easy to remove plaster in a way which leaves a
flat surface.

The *easiest* solution would be just to add a solid bit of timber of the
right size and clad it with plasterboard, and skim it to blend in with the
original plaster. The only problem with that is that - over time - you'll
get hairine cracks between the old and new bits.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills
wibbled on Friday 12 February 2010 11:37

wrote:
[...]

There is an intermediate solution:

Drill a vertical column of holes up the end of the blockwork, so that each
hole will align with a brick course mortar joint. Aim for one hole every 2-3
bricks.

Resin in a length of stud (M10-M12) inserting about 4" into the block and
leaving about 4" protruding. Build brickwork incorporating stud well into
the mortar joint - I would (and have) break all the rules and use a 3:1 mix
and damp the bricks down first for a max strength joint.

I interlocked properly when I did a similar job, but that was to an existing
brick wall, so it was a simple matter to take out the half bricks. I used
the resin+stud trick though when reducing a window opening leaf and had to
use upended bricks rotated 90 degrees - ie reduce by the brick depth rather
than the width. I feel reasonably confident it will work quite well in this
application. With interlocking the bricks, you will be able to belt it with
a clubhammer and it wont move (given a couple of weeks set). With the
resin+studs, it won't be *that* strong but it will probably be stronger than
a lot of other methods...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
[...]

If you leave a hollow column, then it can be used as a riser for
cables/pipes if this is of use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Another optoin is just thick plaster or cement over EML. With a good
thick depth its very tough.

NT

Extending a finished drywall wall [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 3rd 07 07:04 PM
Extending Aerial John UK diy 8 December 16th 05 07:02 PM
Extending over a well David Clay UK diy 15 July 23rd 05 08:56 AM
Extending a joist Dave UK diy 13 December 14th 04 03:34 PM