Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Extending a wall

I need to extend an internal wall but only by about four inches. It
sticks out into a kitchen and needs to be a bit longer to reduce the
doorway gap. It is built from some form of concrete block, more a cinder
block than thermalite and the end of each alternate row is a single
upended brick. The finished wall will be plastered. As far as I can see
there are several alternatives.

1 – Cement an additional column of upended bricks to the end.

2 – Chip out the upright bricks and cement in bits of thermalite block
so it continues to be interlocking.

3 – Screw a piece of timber to the end with spacer pieces to ensure it
is in the right position. Infill with brick/cement. Then put gauze over
the new section before plastering.

4 – As 3 but hack off all the plaster and plasterboard in one go.

What does the team think would provide the best solution.

Andrew