Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cable recycling

We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off cuts in
the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity
that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off cuts in
the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity
that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

AJH

i think copper is very expensive at the moment
so why not pop it in your car and take it to a scrap yard
(with your beer cans etc)
then donate the money to oxfam?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity
that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

When I re-did the bathroom there were two Polish guys roaming up and
down the road looking for scrap metal. They were very polite and asked
me before taking anything; I gave them my blessing and told them when I
expected to be putting most of the old pipes out.

They did take away the cable that I dumped.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote in
:

We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off
cuts in the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is
there any charity that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin
it.

AJH

Leave any scrap outside the skip. Pikeys will cruise around every hour or
so. They will take away scrap but likely to leave a fridge or two or a load
of asbestos, ah well, win some, gain a load!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 3:38*pm, andrew wrote:
We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off cuts in
the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity
that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

AJH

Copper is worth alot, call your local metal scrap dealer, you might
have to burn off the insulation in a metal container but its worth it,
in US dollars its about 3$ a lb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2010 01:09, ransley wrote:
On Feb 11, 3:38 pm, wrote:
We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off cuts in
the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity
that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

AJH

Copper is worth alot, call your local metal scrap dealer, you might
have to burn off the insulation in a metal container but its worth it,
in US dollars its about 3$ a lb.

Don't burn off the insulation; It's illegal and the scrap yard should by
rights not accept it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 21:38, andrew wrote:

is there any charity that collects copper cable?

"Friends, Families and Travellers" would seem the most likely and
appropriate
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 3:38 pm, *wrote:
We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put off cuts in
the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but is there any charity
that collects copper cable? it seems a shame to bin it.

AJH

Copper is worth alot, call your local metal scrap dealer, you might
have to burn off the insulation in a metal container but its worth it,
in US dollars its about 3$ a lb.

Don't burn off the insulation; It's illegal and the scrap yard should by
rights not accept it.

What a wonderful view of the world you have! Where did you buy the
rose tinted glasses?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 3:38 pm, wrote:
We're having some re wiring done at work and the sparks just put
off cuts in the skip. It won't amount to more than a few kilos but
is there any charity that collects copper cable? it seems a shame
to bin it.

AJH

Copper is worth alot, call your local metal scrap dealer, you might
have to burn off the insulation in a metal container but its worth
it, in US dollars its about 3$ a lb.

Don't burn off the insulation; It's illegal and the scrap yard
should by rights not accept it.

What a wonderful view of the world you have! Where did you buy the
rose tinted glasses?

Think you need to re-read what he said. I dare say some scrappies will
ignore the law.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 11 Feb, 21:38, andrew wrote:

is there any charity that collects copper cable?

"Friends, Families and Travellers" would seem the most likely and
appropriate

That would be a NO then, today the young lad that helps me around the yard
presented me with a few hanks of copper stripped from its plastic. I might
encourage him to keep a box for the purpose if the boss allows him the
benefit without moaning about the "opportunity cost",

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 12, 10:22*pm, andrew wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Feb, 21:38, andrew wrote:

is there any charity that collects copper cable?

"Friends, Families and Travellers" *would seem the most likely and
appropriate

That would be a NO then, today the young lad that helps me around the yard
presented me with a few hanks of copper stripped from its plastic. I might
encourage him to keep a box for the purpose if the boss allows him the
benefit without moaning about the "opportunity cost",

AJH

Copper at the scrap yard is £3410/ton if you remove all the brass and
shave off the insulation on a cylinder. Brass is around £2850/ton so
you can understand why its worth keeping those old taps and valves!
You even get around £1.50 for a second hand element.
Brand new 22mm pipe is around £110 for 30 metres and 15mm is £55 for
30metres.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:
Copper at the scrap yard is £3410/ton if you remove all the brass and

[...]
Brand new 22mm pipe is around £110 for 30 metres and 15mm is £55 for
30metres.

What about lead?

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2010 10:32, jgharston wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
Copper at the scrap yard is £3410/ton if you remove all the brass and

[...]
Brand new 22mm pipe is around £110 for 30 metres and 15mm is £55 for
30metres.

What about lead?

JGH

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metals/

£750/tonne
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Dave Starling scribeth thus
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Feb, 21:38, andrew wrote:

is there any charity that collects copper cable?

"Friends, Families and Travellers" *would seem the most likely and
appropriate

That would be a NO then, today the young lad that helps me around the yard
presented me with a few hanks of copper stripped from its plastic. I might
encourage him to keep a box for the purpose if the boss allows him the
benefit without moaning about the "opportunity cost",

AJH

Copper at the scrap yard is £3410/ton if you remove all the brass and
shave off the insulation on a cylinder. Brass is around £2850/ton so
you can understand why its worth keeping those old taps and valves!
You even get around £1.50 for a second hand element.
Brand new 22mm pipe is around £110 for 30 metres and 15mm is £55 for
30metres.

Dave.

My local plumbing place tell me they hardly sell copper pipe anymore now
simply due to its cost, seems plastic rules the day!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Osborne
scribeth thus
Dave Starling wrote:
Copper at the scrap yard is £3410/ton if you remove all the brass and

[...]
Brand new 22mm pipe is around £110 for 30 metres and 15mm is £55 for
30metres.

What about lead?

JGH

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metals/

£750/tonne

Indeed. We've got a load of old car batteries .. can't take anymore than
5 to the scrapper at one time seems we'd need a licence and they won't
collect;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't burn off the insulation; It's illegal and the scrap yard should by
rights not accept it.

and its very poisonous to you and the planet,
cyanides, dioxyins, cancers...

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message

Don't burn off the insulation; It's illegal and the scrap yard should by
rights not accept it.

and its very poisonous to you and the planet,
cyanides, dioxyins, cancers...

[g]

Why are they making cable with insulation that is so poisonous when it
burns. What happens in a house fire?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message

Why are they making cable with insulation that is so poisonous when it
burns. What happens in a house fire?

a: You hear the smoke alarm and exit.
b: You die from toxic fumes.

Then your insurance pays for the cleanup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 9:28*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
a: You hear the smoke alarm and exit.
b: You die from toxic fumes.
Then your insurance pays for the cleanup.

c: you use LSOH cable which costs twice as much (BS7211).
You still of course exit from a: or die in about 2-3 mins from the
other combustion toxic products.

If someone thinks they have lead gas piping, it might actually be
block tin. That is worth considerably more (about 3x off the top of my
head).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Zen83237" wrote in message

Why are they making cable with insulation that is so poisonous when it
burns. What happens in a house fire?

a: You hear the smoke alarm and exit.
b: You die from toxic fumes.

Then your insurance pays for the cleanup.

c) you smell the toxic smoke and get out or put it out.

But the house is so full of plastics -
CDs tellys, computers etc etc
that a bit buried with the wiring wont much much difference.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb, 22:02, "js.b1" wrote:

c: you use LSOH cable which costs twice as much (BS7211).

As most of the price of non-LSF cable is in the copper, then the price
of the plastics must be hugely increased. I wonder just how much by,
and how much is gratuitous markup?

Recycling thought Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 272 February 21st 08 05:24 PM
Recycling a DC? Wade Lippman Woodworking 18 August 4th 07 04:47 PM
Recycling NJS UK diy 0 July 29th 07 08:09 PM
Recycling The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 July 24th 07 07:41 PM