Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default slowing down a DC motor?

I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line from
the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?
sorry, I have no info on the motor speed, rating, type etc etc. but its this
one
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=71105
any help appreciated
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line from
the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?

To a first approximation, DC motor speed varies with voltage, so
if you connect a series resistor of roughly the same resistance
as the motor itself, this may do what you want. A down side is
that the torque will also reduce, and you may not have enough
power for your needs.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 09:40, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Vass wrote:
I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line from
the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?

To a first approximation, DC motor speed varies with voltage, so
if you connect a series resistor of roughly the same resistance
as the motor itself, this may do what you want. A down side is
that the torque will also reduce, and you may not have enough
power for your needs.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

You use pulse-width modulation to control DC motor speed without
reducing the torque so much I believe. You can buy DC motor speed
controllers.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 09:11, "Vass" wrote:
I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.

http://mutr.co.uk and buy a slower motor and/or gearbox. They're
cheap, and slowing down simple toy motors makes their torque drop off
so rapidly that they're unlikely to still be useful to you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Vass wrote:

I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor
and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line from
the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?

To a first approximation, DC motor speed varies with voltage, so
if you connect a series resistor of roughly the same resistance
as the motor itself, this may do what you want. A down side is
that the torque will also reduce, and you may not have enough
power for your needs.

hmm torque is an issue, its going to swing a 4 foot length of thin timber
(balanced with axis in the centre obviously)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:35:40 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
Vass wrote:

I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor
and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line from
the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?

To a first approximation, DC motor speed varies with voltage, so
if you connect a series resistor of roughly the same resistance
as the motor itself, this may do what you want. A down side is
that the torque will also reduce, and you may not have enough
power for your needs.

hmm torque is an issue, its going to swing a 4 foot length of thin timber
(balanced with axis in the centre obviously)

The mind boggles!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vass wrote:
I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor
and gearbox from. It runs on a single AAA battery. but even with the
gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the job I have for
the unit. Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put
in line from the battery to the motor that will half (approx) its
speed? sorry, I have no info on the motor speed, rating, type etc etc.
but its this one
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=71105 any help
appreciated

You can slow them down by reducing the voltage, but this will also reduce
the maximum torque too - likely to the point where it isn't great enough.
The best way would be to use a PWM controller - but even building one will
likely cost more than a suitable speed motor/gearbox. If you decide to
investigate PWM control both Vellerman and Jaycar do kits for this. Others
probably too.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor
and
gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the
job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line from
the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?

To a first approximation, DC motor speed varies with voltage, so
if you connect a series resistor of roughly the same resistance
as the motor itself, this may do what you want. A down side is
that the torque will also reduce, and you may not have enough
power for your needs.

hmm torque is an issue, its going to swing a 4 foot length of thin timber
(balanced with axis in the centre obviously)

If it was me, I'd try it with the length of timber in place. You never
know, the air resistance might do the slowing down for you. If not, try
putting a small diode (about 10p, from Maplins) in series with the battery.
This will drop 0.6 or 0.7 Volts, irrespective of load, so will roughly
halve the voltage to the motor. They do need to be the right way round,
or no current will flow. However, with such a small battery voltage there
may be some difficulties in getting the motor to start spinning, esp. with
that load attached.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

The mind boggles!

OK
I'm wanting to rotate a lightweight length of timber or can be plastic if
sturdy enough approx 4 foot length about it axis in the vertical direction
a bit like a windmill
this in turn will rotate about the horizontal (I've fixed this problem by
standing a pole on a slow rotating shop window jewelry display turntable)
I have seen motors with 2 axis shafts 90 degree to each other, this might be
an option, rotating the whole thing at the top of the pole, but I've not
ventured further into this idea.

The use for this contraption is photography based (as ever)
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:27:52 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .

The mind boggles!

OK
I'm wanting to rotate a lightweight length of timber or can be plastic if
sturdy enough approx 4 foot length about it axis in the vertical direction
a bit like a windmill
this in turn will rotate about the horizontal (I've fixed this problem by
standing a pole on a slow rotating shop window jewelry display turntable)
I have seen motors with 2 axis shafts 90 degree to each other, this might be
an option, rotating the whole thing at the top of the pole, but I've not
ventured further into this idea.

The use for this contraption is photography based (as ever)

Thank you!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 11:27, "Vass" wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

The mind boggles!

OK
I'm wanting to rotate a lightweight length of timber or can be plastic if
sturdy enough approx 4 foot length about it axis in the vertical direction
a bit like a windmill
this in turn will rotate about the horizontal (I've fixed this problem by
standing a pole on a slow rotating shop window jewelry display turntable)
I have seen motors with 2 axis shafts 90 degree to each other, this might be
an option, rotating the whole thing at the top of the pole, but I've not
ventured further into this idea.

The use for this contraption is photography based (as ever)
--
Vass

Cheap electric screwdrivers, high power motor and nice low RPM high
torque planetary gearbox, seen them used for aerial rotators before.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor
and gearbox from.
It runs on a single AAA battery.
but even with the gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for
the job I have for the unit.
Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put in line
from the battery to the motor
that will half (approx) its speed?
sorry, I have no info on the motor speed, rating, type etc etc. but its
this one
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=71105
any help appreciated

www.technobots.co.uk

and buy products that suit the purpose, rather than scrap..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

[...]

OK I'll bite. What model are you making this time :-)
It can't be anything to do with Halloween, can it?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:50:26 -0800, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Cheap electric screwdrivers, high power motor and nice low RPM high
torque planetary gearbox, seen them used for aerial rotators before.

Agreed. Or cordless drill motors; I ripped mine apart a few years ago (I
hate cordless power tools) and built a little H-bridge driver and PWM
circuit for the motor so I could electronically control the speed.

(The body and battery from the drill ended up with an old car headlight
grafted to them which made for a nice little lamp to be used in
underground photography, so no bits were wasted :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

[...]

first mock up appeared to work, photo here
www.doubleyolk.co.uk
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

better link here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canon-eos/4328493960/
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Anny Liu
Tel:+86-755-27322652
Fax:+86-755-27323949

Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Baoan Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China