Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default slowing down a DC motor?

In article ,
Vass wrote:
I've got a kids kit of a walking giraffe than I have salvaged the motor
and gearbox from. It runs on a single AAA battery. but even with the
gearbox, the end spindle is turning way too fast for the job I have for
the unit. Is there a resistor or some other thingymebob that I can put
in line from the battery to the motor that will half (approx) its
speed? sorry, I have no info on the motor speed, rating, type etc etc.
but its this one
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=71105 any help
appreciated

You can slow them down by reducing the voltage, but this will also reduce
the maximum torque too - likely to the point where it isn't great enough.
The best way would be to use a PWM controller - but even building one will
likely cost more than a suitable speed motor/gearbox. If you decide to
investigate PWM control both Vellerman and Jaycar do kits for this. Others
probably too.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.