Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside lighting - inside

Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message ...
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham.
wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 15:15

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

Stops slime forming.

Though some might laugh, it is a brilliant implementation.

However *if* those bottles are made of polythene they're going to rot in the
sun eventually. Wonder who had the job of drilling all the holes in those
roofs - some look a bit like asbestos to me...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

If that's what it was, I'm guessing it's to stop algae growing.

Tim

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jan, 15:37, Tim Watts wrote:

However *if* those bottles are made of polythene they're going to rot in the
sun eventually.

They're not, and for the caps that are, he puts a cover over them.

Probably works fine in Brazil. In Wales (grey skies, rain, higher
lattitude) I'm not so sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 27/01/2010 15:38, Tim Downie wrote:
wrote in message

"Grimly wrote in message
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

If that's what it was, I'm guessing it's to stop algae growing.

Tim

Can't imagine why they'd put captions up saying something like "two
capfuls of bleach" if it weren't. :-)

But thinking about UK implementation, I doubt that would be sufficient
to prevent freezing. So what would be an appropriate way of inhibiting
algae and preventing freezing - cheaply, safely, without producing
nasties and long lasting? Salt?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 27 Jan, 15:37, Tim Watts wrote:

However *if* those bottles are made of polythene they're going to rot in the
sun eventually.

They're not, and for the caps that are, he puts a cover over them.

Probably works fine in Brazil. In Wales (grey skies, rain, higher
lattitude) I'm not so sure.

Could leave the caps off altogether, and leave the bottles to
fill themselves up ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 27, 10:27*pm, Rod wrote:
On 27/01/2010 15:38, Tim Downie wrote:

*wrote in message

"Grimly *wrote in message
. ..
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

If that's what it was, I'm guessing it's to stop algae growing.

Tim

Can't imagine why they'd put captions up saying something like "two
capfuls of bleach" if it weren't. :-)

But thinking about UK implementation, I doubt that would be sufficient
to prevent freezing. So what would be an appropriate way of inhibiting
algae and preventing freezing - cheaply, safely, without producing
nasties and long lasting? Salt?

The water's only on the interior side of the roof, and with a good
airspace above, so I cant see it freezing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote in message

"Grimly wrote in message
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

If that's what it was, I'm guessing it's to stop algae growing.

Tim

Can't imagine why they'd put captions up saying something like "two
capfuls of bleach" if it weren't. :-)

But thinking about UK implementation, I doubt that would be sufficient
to prevent freezing. So what would be an appropriate way of inhibiting
algae and preventing freezing - cheaply, safely, without producing
nasties and long lasting? Salt?

The water's only on the interior side of the roof, and with a good
airspace above, so I cant see it freezing.

NT

For a heated room, indeed, that might well do so. But what about an
unheated room - maybe garage?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 11:21*pm, Rod wrote:
On 30/01/2010 22:01, NT wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:27 pm, *wrote:
On 27/01/2010 15:38, Tim Downie wrote:

* *wrote in message

"Grimly * *wrote in message
m...
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

What does the bleach do?

If that's what it was, I'm guessing it's to stop algae growing.

Tim

Can't imagine why they'd put captions up saying something like "two
capfuls of bleach" if it weren't. :-)

But thinking about UK implementation, I doubt that would be sufficient
to prevent freezing. So what would be an appropriate way of inhibiting
algae and preventing freezing - cheaply, safely, without producing
nasties and long lasting? Salt?

The water's only on the interior side of the roof, and with a good
airspace above, so I cant see it freezing.

NT

For a heated room, indeed, that might well do so. But what about an
unheated room - maybe garage?

Right. Salt should do it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

The water's only on the interior side of the roof, and with a good
airspace above, so I cant see it freezing.

Are you sure about that? It looked very much as if they were
filled to the top. I'm not certain the optics works otherwise.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 2:30*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
NT wrote:
The water's only on the interior side of the roof, and with a good
airspace above, so I cant see it freezing.

Are you sure about that? It looked very much as if they were
filled to the top. I'm not certain the optics works otherwise.

Chris

I thought its what I saw on the vid, but cant be sure. It also would
make more sense thermally, and be less likely to fall down. I take
your point about it gathering less light - but there's still plenty
there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

"Outside lighting - inside". Hmm.

Looks like a small-scale implimentation of a technology called a 'window'.

--
Ron
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Ron Lowe saying
something like:

Looks like a small-scale implimentation of a technology called a 'window'.

They'll never catch on - too new-fangled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 16:06, Ron Lowe wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Just the thing for your outside ****ter, workshop, etc.
http://greenupgrader.com/7410/diy-li...g-alternative/

"Outside lighting - inside". Hmm.

Looks like a small-scale implimentation of a technology called a 'window'.

--
Ron

Closer to a light pipe, more light in for smaller exposed area, works
pretty well even under grey skies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Closer to a light pipe, more light in for smaller exposed area, works
pretty well even under grey skies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube

Light pipes are great when you need to transport the light some distance. The
house opposite me has one that runs from the third-story roof right down to a
dark corner of the living room on the ground floor (and it works very well).

However, these bottles transport the light all of about 5mm, as that is how
thick the roof is. I still think windows would work just as well here.

-- JJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message

However, these bottles transport the light all of about 5mm, as that is
how
thick the roof is. I still think windows would work just as well here.

I doubt it.
A 4" dia window doesn't let in much light.
A bottle of water will have a much larger area to collect light to be
released into the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 9:56*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message

However, these bottles transport the light all of about 5mm, as that is
how
thick the roof is. I still think windows would work just as well here.

I doubt it.
A 4" dia window doesn't let in much light.
A bottle of water will have a much larger area to collect light to be
released into the room.

If its full of water it should act like a prism, hopefully directing
more light inside. I think.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

If its full of water it should act like a prism, hopefully directing
more light inside. I think.

Isn't it more of a "light pipe" working by total internal
reflection? Once light has entered the bottle, its sides act like
a mirrored surface.

Chris