Posted to alt.home.repair

Default It's hot inside!!!

I have waited too long to replace my broken window a/c unit and now the
heat is on. I'm desperate.
The one I want (whirlpool 8000 BTU) claims to be Whirlpools quietest
ever. The problem is no store in Los Angeles carries it. I am going to
buy it direct from Whirlpool. Lowes and Home Depot carry the standard
6000 BTU's (and it's slim picking now) but they are all terribly LOUD.

Anyone care to comment on a good a/c unit?

--
Dave-Morris
Posted to alt.home.repair

I saw some nice air conditioners at Costco. Sharp brand. They have the
window models (relatively cheap) and also some higher BTU floorstanding
models that use air hoses instead of taking up the whole window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 2:46*pm, "scorpster" wrote:
I saw some nice air conditioners at Costco. *Sharp brand. *They have the
window models (relatively cheap) and also some higher BTU floorstanding
models that use air hoses instead of taking up the whole window.

If you buy a portable make sure it is a two pipe (air hose) type. With
the single pipe ones you'll be throwing your money out the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave-Morris" wrote in
message news

I have waited too long to replace my broken window a/c unit and now the
heat is on. I'm desperate.
The one I want (whirlpool 8000 BTU) claims to be Whirlpools quietest
ever. The problem is no store in Los Angeles carries it. I am going to
buy it direct from Whirlpool. Lowes and Home Depot carry the standard
6000 BTU's (and it's slim picking now) but they are all terribly LOUD.

Anyone care to comment on a good a/c unit?

Take a look at Consumer Reports. They rate many characteristics of ACs,
include noise level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I saw both single and double pipe models at Costco. I think one is 10,000
BTU the other one 14,000 BTU. Just curious why is single pipe so bad?
Because of the lower BTU or is it less efficient with electricity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"scorpster" wrote:

I saw both single and double pipe models at Costco. I think one is 10,000
BTU the other one 14,000 BTU. Just curious why is single pipe so bad?
Because of the lower BTU or is it less efficient with electricity?

It takes air from the room and then vents it outside. That causes
outside air to find its way into the home. The ones with two hoses,
uses one for the air intake and the other for the exhaust.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 3:30*pm, "scorpster" wrote:
I saw both single and double pipe models at Costco. *I think one is 10,000
BTU the other one 14,000 BTU. *Just curious why is single pipe so bad?
Because of the lower BTU or is it less efficient with electricity?

With a single pipe design you’re throwing out the baby with the bath
water. In other words you’re discharging the cold air that you used
all that electricity to make along with the heat that you’re trying to
get rid of. With the two pipe system you’re not touching your precious
cold air, you’re just re-circulating the outside air through the unit
to get rid of the heat without it ever getting inside the living
space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ask in the heating and air conditioning forum ... your chances are
better.

--
WILLIAM21
Posted to alt.home.repair

That would be alt.hvac

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WILLIAM21"
wrote in message
.. .

Ask in the heating and air conditioning forum ... your
chances are
better.

--
WILLIAM21

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

That would be alt.hvac

but first, stop by www.asbestosdiapers.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

WILLIAM21 wrote in
:

Ask in the heating and air conditioning forum ... your chances are
better.

The OP is replying to themself giving advice?!!! WTF?!