Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scratched Windscreen

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Done a Google search, and plenty of ideas about toothpaste and diamond
cutting compound that *might* reduce it, but they're all quite old
(early last decade). Any new easy miracle cure available, or is it just
a case of waiting for a nice big stone chip ?

--
Mark

http://www.paras.org.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote:
Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Done a Google search, and plenty of ideas about toothpaste and diamond
cutting compound that *might* reduce it, but they're all quite old
(early last decade). Any new easy miracle cure available, or is it just
a case of waiting for a nice big stone chip ?

Autoglass are forever advertising free repairs to windscreens as
preventative measures funded by your insurance and saying it does not
cost you your NCD.

Worth giving them a call maybe?

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:21:21 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Done a Google search, and plenty of ideas about toothpaste and diamond
cutting compound that *might* reduce it, but they're all quite old
(early last decade). Any new easy miracle cure available, or is it just
a case of waiting for a nice big stone chip ?

Jewellers Rouge ??? but sounds like it's too deep to polish out. Would
Autoglass be able to fix it with the stuff they repair chips with ?

How much is your Glass Excess...You do have Glass Cover I take it .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 16:21, Mark Carver wrote:
Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Cerium oxide compound is what you need, but it's a pain and probably
impractical to take out something that big.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver
wibbled on Tuesday 26 January 2010 16:21

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Done a Google search, and plenty of ideas about toothpaste and diamond
cutting compound that *might* reduce it, but they're all quite old
(early last decade). Any new easy miracle cure available, or is it just
a case of waiting for a nice big stone chip ?

I it is arguably affecting vision through the screen, try your insurers
under the windscreen replacement bit. Mine were happy when I explained a
very similar problem. OK - I have a small excess to pay but overall it was
worth it as the scratch was large and lit up like a spacefight at night.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:21:21 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Far too deep to even think about polishing out IMHO. Contact your
insurers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:40:33 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:21:21 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Far too deep to even think about polishing out IMHO. Contact your
insurers.

Dunno about others but mine ( Churchill) only charge iirc zero or a
tenner for w/screen repairs at Autoglass. £75 for replacement.( as I
am going to pay on Friday ..rain permitting )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usenet Nutter wrote:

Dunno about others but mine ( Churchill) only charge iirc zero or a
tenner for w/screen repairs at Autoglass. £75 for replacement.( as I
am going to pay on Friday ..rain permitting )

Thanks to all. I do indeed have windscreen cover, so I'll check and see what
they say. I've not seen the scratch in daylight yet, I drove to my destination
in the dark this morning, and only just returned an hour ago. Street lights
certainly highlight it though.

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ? I've had 6 cars over
almost 30 years, and I've never had scratching problems until my present car,
2008 Pug 407, and the one before that, 2001 Pug 406. Ironic that the glass can
be so easily scratched, yet difficult to polish out !?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver
wibbled on Tuesday 26 January 2010 20:08

Usenet Nutter wrote:

Dunno about others but mine ( Churchill) only charge iirc zero or a
tenner for w/screen repairs at Autoglass. £75 for replacement.( as I
am going to pay on Friday ..rain permitting )

Thanks to all. I do indeed have windscreen cover, so I'll check and see
what they say. I've not seen the scratch in daylight yet, I drove to my
destination in the dark this morning, and only just returned an hour ago.
Street lights certainly highlight it though.

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ? I've had 6 cars
over almost 30 years, and I've never had scratching problems until my
present car, 2008 Pug 407, and the one before that, 2001 Pug 406. Ironic
that the glass can be so easily scratched, yet difficult to polish out !?

Cars tend to have much heavier and more powerful wipers than the fliddy
wobbling sticks of old. In my case, someone unnamed tried to clear a sload
of snow with them. They did (old fliddy 1970's Fiat ones would have
stalled), carrying the snow and some embedded grit across the screen.
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 26 Jan, 16:21, Mark Carver wrote:
Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Cerium oxide compound is what you need, but it's a pain and probably
impractical to take out something that big.

Anything that big it's going to cause really annoying optical distortion
as well.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote on Jan 26, 2010:

Cars tend to have much heavier and more powerful wipers than the fliddy
wobbling sticks of old. In my case, someone unnamed tried to clear a sload
of snow with them. They did (old fliddy 1970's Fiat ones would have
stalled), carrying the snow and some embedded grit across the screen.

I always been scared to switch the wipers on when they're clogged with ice or
snow. I've always imagined the wiper motor burning out when stalled - causing
untold misery and expense.

I would hope though that manufactures have thought of this and have some
fail-safe mechanism in place. Can anyone tell me what actually happens if
wipers are physically prevented from moving?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:42:30 +0000, Mike Lane wrote:

I would hope though that manufactures have thought of this and have some
fail-safe mechanism in place. Can anyone tell me what actually happens
if wipers are physically prevented from moving?

The motor is stalled and what do you think Sods Laws says about the
motor, a plastic gear getting stripped or the fuse giving up first?

I always clear the screen, having a heated one helps, start up, turn
on HWS, clear side windows and by then the windscreen snow or frost
just slides off. I also don't faff about with a little hand held
scrapper either but use a long handled window washer. Sponge one side
rubber scrapper/squeegee the other.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:08:32 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ?

Are you in one of the areas that used road chippings mixed with salt
recently? Chippings are bloominmg hard and very sharp.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:46:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:08:32 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ?

Are you in one of the areas that used road chippings mixed with salt
recently? Chippings are bloominmg hard and very sharp.

And always water first,let it run down to the blades, then wipers
second .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:21:21 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Far too deep to even think about polishing out IMHO. Contact your
insurers.

Dunno about others but mine ( Churchill) only charge iirc zero or a
tenner for w/screen repairs at Autoglass. £75 for replacement.( as I
am going to pay on Friday ..rain permitting )

And it's incredible what a transformation a new windscreen gives. It's
amazing how much all the thousands of unnoticeable micro-scratches add up
and you just don't notice until they're suddenly not there.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:21:21 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Far too deep to even think about polishing out IMHO. Contact your
insurers.

Dunno about others but mine ( Churchill) only charge iirc zero or a
tenner for w/screen repairs at Autoglass. £75 for replacement.( as I
am going to pay on Friday ..rain permitting )

Ah, Autoglass. In this case it sounds like the windscreen is knackered and
will need replacing anyway but beware of Autoglass. The general consensus,
borne out by my personal experience, is that they find any excuse to replace
the windscreen rather than repair it. You are not compelled to use them,
although your insurers may prefer you to an EU ruling means you can go to
anyone and get the same deal. In my case each time I've had chips to repair
they've found an excuse why they could not be repaired (two chips close
together, chip too close to the edge) but my local independent has done a
fine job and I've paid nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any new easy miracle cure available

Not new, but a ball pein hammer usually does the trick. Make your
booking for the replacement before you smash the screen though. No
point in making the screen unusable if autoglass etc can't turn up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:30:32 -0000, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

Ah, Autoglass. In this case it sounds like the windscreen is knackered and
will need replacing anyway but beware of Autoglass. The general consensus,
borne out by my personal experience, is that they find any excuse to replace
the windscreen rather than repair it. You are not compelled to use them,
although your insurers may prefer you to an EU ruling means you can go to
anyone and get the same deal. In my case each time I've had chips to repair
they've found an excuse why they could not be repaired (two chips close
together, chip too close to the edge) but my local independent has done a
fine job and I've paid nothing.

Yip.....It's deffo knackered ....so one £75 excess is much like
another . Dunno how much a heated mondeo w/screen is anyway £200-300
mebbe ?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...c/SNB20097.jpg
Funny bit is Churchill didn't question that the w/screen needed
replacing but maybe they rely on Autoglass to decide when they come
out .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any new easy miracle cure available

Not new, but a ball pein hammer usually does the trick. Make your
booking for the replacement before you smash the screen though. No
point in making the screen unusable if autoglass etc can't turn up.

Yeah cos they had to order in my screen and Friday was the earliest
they could call and do it when I phoned yesterday .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usenet Nutter wrote:

Are you in one of the areas that used road chippings mixed with salt
recently? Chippings are bloominmg hard and very sharp.

Yes I am !!! Actually with the effect of all the pot holes, and the road
surfaces breaking up, I don't think it'll be long before I end up with a
chipped windscreen anyway. Last week within the space of 10 minutes I was hit
by three stones, but of course sod's law, nothing happened. My wife's brand
new car was hit by a chunk on its second day. She had to join a two week
waiting list at Autoglass.

And always water first,let it run down to the blades, then wipers
second .

I wish I could, but the instant I push the washer button, off go the blades !

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:10:36 +0000, Usenet Nutter wrote:

Funny bit is Churchill didn't question that the w/screen needed
replacing but maybe they rely on Autoglass to decide when they come
out .

Almost certainly I expect, why do you think Autoglass(*) are so keen
on replacing rather than repairing? They are probably on a fixed
price per job plus "cost" of glass. The fixed price covers the call
out and a couple of hours labour, they can then make their money on
the difference they can knock the price of the glass down to and what
they can hike it up to with the insurance company.

(*) Not just Autoglass either I expect the insurers take the word of
all the windscreen replacement companies.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
Had a trapped stone (presumably) under my windscreen wiper this morning,
and it's put a nasty deep (able to run my fingernail in it) scratch in
my windscreen

Done a Google search, and plenty of ideas about toothpaste and diamond
cutting compound that *might* reduce it, but they're all quite old
(early last decade). Any new easy miracle cure available, or is it just
a case of waiting for a nice big stone chip ?

Autoglass are forever advertising free repairs to windscreens as
preventative measures funded by your insurance and saying it does not
cost you your NCD.

Worth giving them a call maybe?

No, it's not.

Three reasons:

More and more insurance companies now impose an excess for windscreen
repairs - perhaps only 10 or 15gbp, but 0.

You'll have to declare the claim for up to 5 years when you're looking
for new insurance, or when you're a named driver on another policy.
Most companies seem to ask about "any" claim, not just ones you think
are really important, and even have a line in their pull-down box for
"windscreen repair or replacement". Sure, most won't bother about one
claim, but it's one step nearer a number they *will* bother about.

The repairs are useless. All this guff about special equipment and
vacuums and drawing special resins into the crack is rubbish. I was
foolish enough to let Autoglass have a go at some stone chips in my
Range Rover, and they made virtually no improvement. Their process was
a quick clean of the chip, a drop of clear resin from a sachet, a wipe
over with a flexible blade, and a polish. Less than two years later,
the edge of the resin is clearly visible and can be felt with a fingernail.

And as for it miraculously stopping a chip turning into a crack...

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote on Jan 26, 2010:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:42:30 +0000, Mike Lane wrote:

I would hope though that manufactures have thought of this and have some
fail-safe mechanism in place. Can anyone tell me what actually happens
if wipers are physically prevented from moving?

The motor is stalled and what do you think Sods Laws says about the
motor, a plastic gear getting stripped or the fuse giving up first?

Well, yes - that's what I'm afraid of, but as I said, I was wondering if
anyone actually knows from experience.

I always clear the screen, having a heated one helps, start up, turn
on HWS, clear side windows and by then the windscreen snow or frost
just slides off. I also don't faff about with a little hand held
scrapper either but use a long handled window washer. Sponge one side
rubber scrapper/squeegee the other.

I remember a neighbour of mine who used to come out on frosty mornings with a
bucket of steaming hot water and empty it over the screen. I would be
terrified it would just shatter, but it never seemed to. (He did own a garage
so perhaps he actually knew what he was doing.)

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
email: mike_lane at mac dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook
wibbled on Tuesday 26 January 2010 23:30

Ah, Autoglass. In this case it sounds like the windscreen is knackered
and
will need replacing anyway but beware of Autoglass. The general
consensus, borne out by my personal experience, is that they find any
excuse to replace
the windscreen rather than repair it. You are not compelled to use them,
although your insurers may prefer you to an EU ruling means you can go to
anyone and get the same deal. In my case each time I've had chips to
repair they've found an excuse why they could not be repaired (two chips
close together, chip too close to the edge) but my local independent has
done a fine job and I've paid nothing.

I've not had any arguments from the one in Tonbridge. Had a couple of chips
done and one glass replacement which was warranted (the scratched one). YMMV
apparantly.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole
wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 08:34

More and more insurance companies now impose an excess for windscreen
repairs - perhaps only 10 or 15gbp, but 0.

You'll have to declare the claim for up to 5 years when you're looking
for new insurance, or when you're a named driver on another policy.
Most companies seem to ask about "any" claim, not just ones you think
are really important, and even have a line in their pull-down box for
"windscreen repair or replacement". Sure, most won't bother about one
claim, but it's one step nearer a number they *will* bother about.

The repairs are useless. All this guff about special equipment and
vacuums and drawing special resins into the crack is rubbish.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you had craphead do yours.

Mine was definately vacuumed out and resin applied under vaccum - I was
watching the whole time.

No, it didn't totally obliterated the chip but it greatly reduced it and
turned it from a MOT fail to a pass (MOT done a few months later at a main
dealer).

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usenet Nutter
wibbled on Tuesday 26 January 2010 23:07

wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:08:32 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ?

Are you in one of the areas that used road chippings mixed with salt
recently? Chippings are bloominmg hard and very sharp.

And always water first,let it run down to the blades, then wipers
second .

I rue having the washer control as the last click on the stalk. Means the
wipers are running before the water's got up there. Stupid design...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:14:22 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

... turned it from a MOT fail to a pass (MOT done a few months later at
a main dealer).

The rules are quite strict and clear about windscreen damage and the
MOT.

However I wouldn't put much on the MOT being done a Dealers above any
other MOT station. My car went for a service amongst other things:
Frayed seatbelt sir, MOT failure sir, that'll be £200 sir. It is a
bit furry along the edge on your shoulder but nothing to impair the
integrity of the belt. Month or so later took it to same dealer for
an MOT without doing anything about the seatbelt. It passed... They
also wanted £50 for a horn. It has two, it still made a noise when
the button is pushed. I bought a horn from them for £15 and fitted
it myself in 30 mins with help from my 9 year old son so slower than
it would have been without his help.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

The repairs are useless. All this guff about special equipment and
vacuums and drawing special resins into the crack is rubbish.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you had craphead do yours.

Mine was definately vacuumed out and resin applied under vaccum - I was
watching the whole time.

Aye, same here. Two repair in mine. One is almost invisible unless you
know it's there. The second isn't quite as good, but still a massive
improvement.

Both times it was done with a vacuum pump gadget and then cured under
vaccum with a UV light. I was sceptical but it does seem pretty effective
(if done properly )

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...

I remember a neighbour of mine who used to come out on frosty mornings
with a
bucket of steaming hot water and empty it over the screen. I would be
terrified it would just shatter, but it never seemed to. (He did own a
garage
so perhaps he actually knew what he was doing.)

I do that all the time.
Hand hot is about as warm as I go.
It warms the inside of the screen so it helps to stop condensation, unlike
de-icer sprays which cool the screen down and make condensation a problem.

As for damage..
I have seen cars where the rubber was ripped out of the blades after it was
frozen to the screen.
I have also seen a bent arm.
I don't know anyone that left the thing running long enough to burn out the
motor but I expect there are some people around that have done that.
I had a linkage break when I tried to remove the snow, but I expect that was
more to do with 10 years worth of wear than the inch of snow. Sods law says
its the drivers side that doesn't work when you do that BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2010 20:08, Mark Carver wrote:

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ?

I think a good part of the problem is that when you use the wash-wipe on
many cars the wipers move before the screen is wet thus dragging a whole
lot of dry grit across the screen.

This certainly is the case on our Astra on which I try to avoid using
the wash-wipe unless the screen is already wet. On the other hand, I can
get the screen really wet on my MGTF before using the wipers as the wash
is separate from the wipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , D.M.Chapman
writes
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

The repairs are useless. All this guff about special equipment and
vacuums and drawing special resins into the crack is rubbish.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you had craphead do yours.

Mine was definately vacuumed out and resin applied under vaccum - I was
watching the whole time.

Aye, same here. Two repair in mine. One is almost invisible unless you
know it's there. The second isn't quite as good, but still a massive
improvement.

We'd had a repair done some years ago in our old car, not noticeable and
the reapir was still sound when the car was scrapped last year.

Both times it was done with a vacuum pump gadget and then cured under
vaccum with a UV light. I was sceptical but it does seem pretty effective
(if done properly )

Yup, ditto.

Ins co's aren't known for throwing money around. I doubt they would pay
for the repairs if they didn't think it was worth it in terms of saved
replacement costs
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:27:10 +0000, F noone@nowhere wrote:

On 26/01/2010 20:08, Mark Carver wrote:

Is it me or are windscreens softer than they used to be ?

I think a good part of the problem is that when you use the wash-wipe on
many cars the wipers move before the screen is wet thus dragging a whole
lot of dry grit across the screen.

This certainly is the case on our Astra on which I try to avoid using
the wash-wipe unless the screen is already wet. On the other hand, I can
get the screen really wet on my MGTF before using the wipers as the wash
is separate from the wipe.

Intelligent design separating the functions. The kind of thing we had
decades ago before the ******* in marketing decided wash wipe was a
good idea.

It's the same people that decided that drizzle always requires an
intermittent wipe every 6 seconds. Then they decided automatic wipers
were an even better idea as they could make a hundred quid profit on
a quids worth of electronics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

This certainly is the case on our Astra on which I try to avoid using
the wash-wipe unless the screen is already wet. On the other hand, I can
get the screen really wet on my MGTF before using the wipers as the wash
is separate from the wipe.

Intelligent design separating the functions. The kind of thing we had
decades ago before the ******* in marketing decided wash wipe was a good
idea.

'erselfs pikey-spec 205 has no intermittent, and wash is not linked to
wipe. It ****es me RIGHT off.

It's the same people that decided that drizzle always requires an
intermittent wipe every 6 seconds. Then they decided automatic wipers
were an even better idea as they could make a hundred quid profit on a
quids worth of electronics.

Umm, what about variable-delay intermittent...? Common on higher-spec
late '80s stuff through to a very large part of mid-late '90s stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:16:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:
I rue having the washer control as the last click on the stalk. Means the
wipers are running before the water's got up there. Stupid design...

Yes... but given the nature of the group, find the relevant wire, cut it
and add your own switch dangling out of the dash? :-)

I've got no intermittant (by design) on the truck, and no washer either*
(by way of all the rubber pipework being fubar

* yes, it's on the to-do list...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules
wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 16:54

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:16:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:
I rue having the washer control as the last click on the stalk. Means the
wipers are running before the water's got up there. Stupid design...

Yes... but given the nature of the group, find the relevant wire, cut it
and add your own switch dangling out of the dash? :-)

20 years ago maybe.

Now it would probably involve a trip over to comp.arch.embedded and
reprogramming or at least reconfiguring the firmware in some random blackbox
;-

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:05:40 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Jules
wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 16:54

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:16:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:
I rue having the washer control as the last click on the stalk. Means the
wipers are running before the water's got up there. Stupid design...

Yes... but given the nature of the group, find the relevant wire, cut it
and add your own switch dangling out of the dash? :-)

20 years ago maybe.

Now it would probably involve a trip over to comp.arch.embedded and
reprogramming or at least reconfiguring the firmware in some random blackbox
;-

Heh! Plug your laptop into the car's USB port, VNC into the copy of
Windows running on its computer, and it's all point and click with
the mouse from there...

I f&%^ing hate modern vehicles :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ah, Autoglass. In this case it sounds like the windscreen is knackered and
will need replacing anyway but beware of Autoglass. The general consensus,
borne out by my personal experience, is that they find any excuse to replace
the windscreen rather than repair it.

It's tempting fate mentioning windscreens and their longevity but my
experience with Autoglass is similar. The blackout film on the inside
of the screen at the top corner was wrinkled and partially separated
from the glass when the screen was replaced after an accident repair.
It was at the time the only screen available in the dealer network
without waiting for a new batch to be manufactured which could have
been months away. It's a low volume vehicle so next to nothing is off
the shelf and for a number of years only one manufacturer was capable
of making the glass, all of which went to the vehicle manufacturer.

A few years down the line I got a number of chips on wiped areas of
the screen and Autoglass came out. Their first comment as they saw the
screen was that they wanted to replace the screen as it would 'fail
the MOT' as it was 'cracked' I already had a photocopy of the MOT
testers manual with the visibility areas to make sure the chips were
of a suitable size and location not to require complete replacement.
I also said this defect that looked like a crack but wasn't had been
in exactly that state for the previous eight years and the car had
passed the MOT every time without a problem .

The Autoglass bloke started repairing the chips but I could see him
deliberately leaning on the top corner of the screen (it's a
convertible) to try and get the 'crack' to extend. I nipped inside,
got the video camera and started filming. He asked why I was taking
a video of him and said it's for when you break my screen and so I
won't have to pay the excess. He stopped and his face went bright
red.

Unfortunately I found out after renewal this year that my car
insurance is now more or less useless for windscreen repairs, an
absolute limit of 500 quid and you *have* to use their appointed
repairer. This is still Autoglass, the windscreen costing the last
time I checked around 400 quid 'trade' But windscreen replacements,
as confirmed in writing by the technical department of the
manufacturer of the vehicle are at many points during the procedure a
dealer only process, ok, some of that is covering their backs and a
bit of protectionism, but the sticking point is that after windscreen
replacement there is a need for quite complex realignment of the door
pillar seals that cost just under 300 quid for the pair (parts only
price) They cannot be removed and replaced without damage.

Time for a new insurer that has a clue on these things!

Car windscreen repair ads Roger Mills UK diy 0 September 29th 09 12:31 PM
Chiiped car windscreen - best way to fix? jamma-plusser UK diy 7 December 31st 08 06:38 PM
Wax on windscreen Jim S UK diy 27 November 17th 06 05:28 PM
defrosting windscreen Grumps UK diy 42 January 28th 06 11:27 AM
Wax on windscreen - test Eric The Viking UK diy 43 October 3rd 05 06:32 PM