Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Conservatory legislation changing?

We had a quote for a conservatory over xmas and the guy, who was the
installations manager said that the cost of new ones was going up
about 50% after october 2010 due to tighter glass specs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We had a quote for a conservatory over xmas and the guy, who was the
installations manager said that the cost of new ones was going up
about 50% after october 2010 due to tighter glass specs.

Sounds like a dodgy ruse to get you to accept the quote.

If you take into account the cost of building works, electrics, installation
costs etc., the glass is a small percentage of overall costs and even if it
doubled in price wouldn't push the project cost up by 50%.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 14, 11:34 am, "mark" wrote:
wrote in message

We had a quote for a conservatory over xmas and the guy, who was the
installations manager said that the cost of new ones was going up
about 50% after october 2010 due to tighter glass specs.

Sounds like a dodgy ruse to get you to accept the quote.

If you take into account the cost of building works, electrics, installation
costs etc., the glass is a small percentage of overall costs and even if it
doubled in price wouldn't push the project cost up by 50%.

mark

I agree.

OP - name n shame em!!

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:34:05 -0000, mark wrote:

wrote in message
We had a quote for a conservatory over xmas and the guy, who was the
installations manager said that the cost of new ones was going up
about 50% after october 2010 due to tighter glass specs.

Sounds like a dodgy ruse to get you to accept the quote.

If you take into account the cost of building works, electrics, installation
costs etc., the glass is a small percentage of overall costs and even if it
doubled in price wouldn't push the project cost up by 50%.

and a lot of conservatories use polycarbonate instead of glass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We had a quote for a conservatory over xmas and the guy, who was the
installations manager said that the cost of new ones was going up
about 50% after october 2010 due to tighter glass specs.

As currently the glass can't be more than about 10% of the total cost, that
has to be a bloody big upgrade in the spec.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only possible change re glass could be a requirement to use 22mm
air gap in place of 6mm. That is only going to have limited effect, so
a certain unit material cost may go up 50% - but not the overall cost.

Typical "bang the biro on the clipboard impatiently" to get a sale.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:34:05 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
We had a quote for a conservatory over xmas and the guy, who was the
installations manager said that the cost of new ones was going up
about 50% after october 2010 due to tighter glass specs.

Sounds like a dodgy ruse to get you to accept the quote.

If it was you'd surely expect a closer date than October