Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

Default Changing a kitchen extension to a conservatory

I am considering moving my kitchen from where it is now into another
room.

I am also considering changing the existing kitchen into a
conservatory.

The current kitchen is a single storey extension on the end of the
house. I thought it would be a good idea to remove the roof and part of
the surrounding walls to have a conservatory built on top of the
lowered walls.

It would mean that I would walk from the main part of the house into
the new kitchen, then through folding doors into the old kitchen which
would become a conservatory.

Would I need any planning permission for this?

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson

dog-man wrote:
I am considering moving my kitchen from where it is now into another
room.

I am also considering changing the existing kitchen into a
conservatory.

The current kitchen is a single storey extension on the end of the
house. I thought it would be a good idea to remove the roof and part of
the surrounding walls to have a conservatory built on top of the
lowered walls.

It would mean that I would walk from the main part of the house into
the new kitchen, then through folding doors into the old kitchen which
would become a conservatory.

Would I need any planning permission for this?

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

This query is usually received the other way around. Personally I don't
like conservatories. I would prefer what is sometimes calls rather
pompously (unless you live in a Vic country house) an orangery. A
normal room and walls but with a kind of atrium style glass roof. Very
stylish.

For your idea, it must be quite unusual. Bear in mind the conservatory
will have worse insulation properties and you may not be allowed to do
it without improving the insulation elsewhere due to the new 2006 regs.
You may also have to provide an external door between house and
conservatory.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It would mean that I would walk from the main part of the house into
the new kitchen, then through folding doors into the old kitchen which
would become a conservatory.

You may have more problem with building regulations than planning
permission. I would talk to the BCO to see if they can make any suggestions.
At the least, you will need an externally rated door between the kitchen and
conservatory and any heating must be independently controlled.

However, your plan is also likely to substantially reduce the value of your
property, as a conservatory is worth a lot less than a real room of the same
size. Is there sufficient land to build a new conservatory in addition to
the existing space?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

Well, that has given me something to think about!

I planned to have an inner folding wooden door between the new kitchen
and the new conservatory. I had thought about the loss of heat, and
that is why I wanted the folding door. In the Summer, it could be fully
open, and closed in Winter.

I am leaning towards underfloor heating.

I did give some consideration to just removing the roof and replacing
it with a glass or high quality pvc fancy roof (orangery) as already
mentioned here. but the wife nagged for a conservatory. I will work on
her with a baseball bat to make her see the error of her ways!

No way really to have a conservatory in the garden without losing more
of a small garden that would be acceptable.

My house is an old victorian house so insulation is not good. I have
done what I can apart from dry lining the walls. Fully double glazed
etc.

The idea needs more thinking time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I did give some consideration to just removing the roof and replacing
it with a glass or high quality pvc fancy roof (orangery) as already
mentioned here. but the wife nagged for a conservatory. I will work on
her with a baseball bat to make her see the error of her ways!

Yes, it may be difficult to achieve what you want in terms of complying with
building regulations, which are very concerned with energy efficiency.
Basically, unless you can superinsulate the rest of the property in
compensation, you NEED the conservatory exemption to apply for your project.

The conservatory exemption requires many things, including external grade
doors, independent heating (preferably no heating), 75% translucent roof and
50% transparent external walls. The orangery idea would almost certainly
fall foul of the wall transparency requirement.

My house is an old victorian house so insulation is not good. I have
done what I can apart from dry lining the walls. Fully double glazed
etc.

You may find an alternative route is to dry line the walls with Kingspan K17
and seriously improve your loft insulation. If you stick these improvements
on your building notice, they may be enough to counter the much worse
performance of the conservatory. If so, the conservatory exemption criteria
do not apply and you can have whatever construction, layout and doors (or
lack thereof) that suit you.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I did give some consideration to just removing the roof and replacing
it with a glass or high quality pvc fancy roof (orangery) as already
mentioned here. but the wife nagged for a conservatory. I will work on
her with a baseball bat to make her see the error of her ways!

Yes, it may be difficult to achieve what you want in terms of complying
with
building regulations, which are very concerned with energy efficiency.
Basically, unless you can superinsulate the rest of the property in
compensation, you NEED the conservatory exemption to apply for your
project.

The conservatory exemption requires many things, including external grade
doors, independent heating (preferably no heating),

I think you may mean independent temperature control.

It is best to make the kitchen into a light and airy room, not a
conservatory. Put in larger double glazed windows, French doors, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

The conservatory exemption requires many things, including external
grade doors, independent heating (preferably no heating),

I think you may mean independent temperature control.

Yes. I wasn't clear on this.

However, the nature of conservatories and their poor energy efficiency are
such that it is sensible to also supply separate timing control.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

I will probably succeed in talking the wife out of having a
conservatory, I have already begun that mighty task. The tip about
kingspan boards interests me as I have to dry line what is now the
dining room as it gets so cold in the winter, even with the heating
full on.

I have contacted the company for more details.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

The tip about kingspan boards interests me as I have to
dry line what is now the dining room as it gets so cold
in the winter, even with the heating full on.

I have contacted the company for more details.

No idea if the company would reply to emails. They are more of a
manufacturer than used to dealing with customers.

Try:

http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/newdiv/pdf/k17.pdf

Christian.

Work Around Part P for Kitchen Supply TheScullster UK diy 8 June 1st 06 04:35 PM
New Kitchen Supply TheScullster UK diy 3 May 26th 06 09:22 AM
Looking for decent qulity Kitchen unit with American Black Walnut finsih - Are they all the same? swinster UK diy 1 April 14th 06 07:59 AM
kitchen combined with conservatory Janet Tweedy UK diy 5 November 19th 04 11:24 PM
20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself(Deck Designer v1, Fence Designer v5, P TEL Home Repair 0 January 6th 04 08:42 AM