Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing conservatory to garden room

Hello,
As our conservatory is either too hot or too cold most of the time, I
have decided
to make a stab at an insulated false ceiling following the contours of
the two pitch polycarbonate
roof attaching insulation then hollow plastic cladding as a ceiling.

I plan to attach 18mm mdf strips to the bottom face of the self
supporting aluminum
glazing bars by making "U" shaped brackets screwed into the sides of
the bars with
self-tapping screws.Am thinking of making the brackets out of better
quality cut-down
white "square" guttering or similar.
The "U" required would be approx.35mm/65mm/35mm
Would like to be able to buy the brackets. but a strange size.
The cladding would then be screwed to the MDF.
I would insulate between the cladding and the existing polycarbonate
with 35mm Kingspan as I
go along,removing the outer side foil so it would look white from
outside although the house is
not overlooked.

I might then also add some cosmetic oak "beams" at a couple of points
to cover joins in the cladding(the claddingis mainly white wide plank
effect with a very faint wood grain )

Although the added weight should be well within the capacity of the
bars, I might also,
for some added support and to compliment the beams, add a horizontal
beam from the top of
the outside wall of the conservatory to the stone wall of the house.

From that a vertical support to one of the "roof beams" would help
weight distribution
and enhance the effect of the beams.

The house is an old cottage which has had most of the character
removed over the years.
I should then be able to use the fitted radiators during some of the
spring and autumn days.

I would be pleased to share any sources or discuss if anyone else
wants to think about
a similar project.
Had I bought the solar inserts for the polycarbonate cavities it would
have cost more
than £300 for the diy kit alone.

Any constructive comments or questions would be appreciated,
particularly those which
remind me of possible problems which have so far escaped my
attention.
Thank you for your thoughts and expertise.
David Gilliland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gilli" wrote in message
Hello,
As our conservatory is either too hot or too cold most of the time, I
have decided
to make a stab at an insulated false ceiling following the contours of
the two pitch polycarbonate
roof attaching insulation then hollow plastic cladding as a ceiling.
snipped

Thank you for your thoughts and expertise.
David Gilliland

I take it you don't have any vents in the roof?

I understood that greenhouses and therefore it follows that conservatories
require vents in the roof to be 25% of the floor area.

Don

Changing a kitchen extension to a conservatory dog-man UK diy 11 June 16th 06 10:01 PM
Plan to knock down old conservatory and build summer room/extention Gazza UK diy 3 April 5th 06 09:03 PM
Garden Room wattie UK diy 8 May 9th 05 03:01 PM
Changing a room thermostat Ali UK diy 3 December 29th 04 09:38 AM
Changing a room thermostat / wiring Left Nothing UK diy 6 January 6th 04 09:46 AM