Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best Mains Water Pressure Reducing Valve?

In my area we have ridiculously high water pressure. Last measured at 10.8
bar last week.

Internally - some years ago - I installed an IMI pressure reducer valve like
BES 9434 http://www.bes.co.uk/products/110.asp. This works very nicely -
when it works (which is most of the time)!

The problem is that on occasions it does not completely shut off and the
water pressure can creep up....stopping at a pressure that is too high and
occasionally not stopping until it equalises with the supply. This can be
alarming! (BTW this is my second valve of the type. They do have an
integral grot-trap).

I am contemplating putting in an alternative valve and have found a
Honeywell unit like this: http://tinyurl.com/yf5o52z

Does anybody have any experience or opinions on the best/most reliable
pressure reducer valves? If so I'd appreciate your wisdom!

ps I AM in dialogue with the Water supplier about this. It would be great
for them to reduce the pressure at source but but progress is "glacial".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jan, 10:14, "Vortex4" wrote:
In my area we have ridiculously high water pressure. *

The problem is that on occasions it does not completely shut off and the
water pressure can creep up

Dad's place is a few hundred yards from a water treatment plant, so we
have problems with both excessive pressure, and sand carrying over
from filter beds. Having valve seats (washing machines particularly)
intermittently stick slightly open was a regular problem.

Fix seemed to be a whole-house water filter. It's changed annually,
and there's a whole lot of gritty crud in there afterwards!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex4
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 10:14

[...]

I have this one:

http://www.hav.co.uk/products/shw-de...13086&cid=1099

It's only been in 6 months so no long term results. However, it is a nice
high flow one - full flow is possible at all pressures (subject to following
pipework).

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fix seemed to be a whole-house water filter. It's changed annually,
and there's a whole lot of gritty crud in there afterwards!

Sounds good advice.

I've got the Honeywell valve laying around waiting for me to fit.

Honeywell kit is well regarded and well made. It would be the one I
would have chosen anyway, but mine came bundled with my thermal store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have this one:

http://www.hav.co.uk/products/shw-de...13086&cid=1099

It's only been in 6 months so no long term results. However, it is a nice
high flow one - full flow is possible at all pressures (subject to
following
pipework).

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

That looks like a good deal as well. I'm almost tempted to buy one on spec.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex4
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:06

I have this one:

http://www.hav.co.uk/products/shw-de...13086&cid=1099

It's only been in 6 months so no long term results. However, it is a nice
high flow one - full flow is possible at all pressures (subject to
following
pipework).

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

That looks like a good deal as well. I'm almost tempted to buy one on
spec.

Seems so. My requirement was, because I have a 1/2" feed and massive
pressure, leading to a massive potential flow (55 lpm), I wanted to drop the
flow, plumb in 22mm from there on and maintain the potential flow of 55 lpm.

I actually did tests, by whacking a bit of 22mm on top of the valve and
measuring the flow into a (very large) bucket. Whatever pressure I set it
too, it held the flow, so I was happy.

I rather wish I'd incorporated a filter before it (maybe it has one inside,
I haven't looked). Not that we get much crap in the water, but it could
happen if they work on the pipes outside... I might modify that when I take
the final copper there to replace the temporary speedfit.

What I did do was include a full bore lever valve just before it as the main
cock - much nicer than a tap style one and it's easy to see if it's fully
off.

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex4" wrote in message
[...]

Stick to the Honeywell valve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Vortex4" wrote in message
[...]

I went with Honeywell and expecting delivery today.