Matthew Ames

Default Glowworm ultimate boiler

hi,

I noticed yesterday evening that my above mentioned boiler seemed to take
ages to actually light and stay that way. Normally I am used to a sort of
clonk and and a second or two of ticking and then it is up and running.
However yesterday and this again this morning I noticed that it takes about
10 minutes before it actually stays running, in the mean time it keeps
clonking.

Sorry that the description is not too good!! Any idea if this is something
fixable? I guess I will have to get someone out to look at it - iirc it has
not been serviced since 1999 (when I moved into the house).

Cheers,
Matt

ps. any recommendations for a decent boiler servicer in the Dorchester area
of Dorset?

BillR

Matthew Ames wrote:
hi,

I noticed yesterday evening that my above mentioned boiler seemed to
take ages to actually light and stay that way. Normally I am used to
a sort of clonk and and a second or two of ticking and then it is up
and running. However yesterday and this again this morning I noticed
that it takes about 10 minutes before it actually stays running, in
the mean time it keeps clonking.

Sorry that the description is not too good!! Any idea if this is
something fixable? I guess I will have to get someone out to look at
it - iirc it has not been serviced since 1999 (when I moved into the
house).

Cheers,
Matt

ps. any recommendations for a decent boiler servicer in the
Dorchester area of Dorset?

I don't know this particular boiler but based on similar problem it could be
a thermocouple which are cheap and easy to replace.

Ed Sirett

BillR wrote:

Matthew Ames wrote:
[...]

Without knowing anything about this boiler you can safely say it does
not have a thermocouple because the OP mentions ticking.

Because everything nearly works there is no really serious problem and I
strongly suspect crud/debris/wear in the ignition electrode of the flame
sensing electrode.

It might also be marginal air-flow proving that improves just enough
when warmed up.

Time it had a service.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
geoff

In message , BillR
writes
Matthew Ames wrote:
[...]

.... Electronic ignition

IS the "clonk" the fan coming on ?

If it's going click click click .... that's the ignition circuit trying
to light the pilot, so that means the fan and pressure switch are
probably OK, therefo

Most likely reasons are

a relay in the pcb going high resistance,
the HT lead has a break in it
the electrode isn't in the pilot flame / it's burned away
you have a bad earth (a bit of corrosion developing somewhere ?)

--
geoff

Digital cylinder 'stat? Martin Angove UK diy 9 October 12th 03 08:32 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Ferroli boiler wiring john UK diy 3 September 7th 03 12:23 AM
Glow-worm programmer and boiler change Muddy Paws UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:55 PM