Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rain water soak away

I don't know if my rain water drainage is to a soakaway.
However......
Having just unblocked a rainwater down pipe at the top where it met the
guttering, and found it full of mud and moss (our North facing roof seems to
be almost a 'green roof' - there is moss growing around nearly every tile) I
was pondering on how much crap had gone down the pipe before it became
blocked.

Which led me to pondering about soak aways in general.

If you keep washing muck down into them they must silt up eventually.
So how do you deal with this?
Should there be a gulley and 'U' trap before the soakaway to catch rubbish
which can then be removed?
Or do you have to plan to dig the garden up every 20 years or so and clean
out the soakaway?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts
wibbled on Wednesday 30 December 2009 18:50

I don't know if my rain water drainage is to a soakaway.
However......
Having just unblocked a rainwater down pipe at the top where it met the
guttering, and found it full of mud and moss (our North facing roof seems
to be almost a 'green roof' - there is moss growing around nearly every
tile) I was pondering on how much crap had gone down the pipe before it
became blocked.

Which led me to pondering about soak aways in general.

If you keep washing muck down into them they must silt up eventually.
So how do you deal with this?
Should there be a gulley and 'U' trap before the soakaway to catch rubbish
which can then be removed?

That would be the easiest to maintain way.

Or do you have to plan to dig the garden up every 20 years or so and clean
out the soakaway?

Once, I made a hollow chamber soakaway with a paving slab base, brick wall
with gaps between some bricks and paving slabs sitting on top. This was in a
lawn 4" under the surface, so if one remembered where it was, it was a
fairly simple matter to lift the sod and clean it. However, it would take a
lot of blocking up being a chamber type.

Can't do that here as there's clay 12-18" down so not much depth of soil to
drain into. I'm thinking of burying long lengths of perforated pipe 12" down
or just above the clay layer. In that case I will certainly be installing u-
traps with access lids as perforated tube will block relatively easiliy and
be nearly impossible to clear.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I don't know if my rain water drainage is to a soakaway.
However......
Having just unblocked a rainwater down pipe at the top where it met the
guttering, and found it full of mud and moss (our North facing roof
seems to be almost a 'green roof' - there is moss growing around nearly
every tile) I was pondering on how much crap had gone down the pipe
before it became blocked.

Which led me to pondering about soak aways in general.

If you keep washing muck down into them they must silt up eventually.
So how do you deal with this?
Should there be a gulley and 'U' trap before the soakaway to catch
rubbish which can then be removed?
Or do you have to plan to dig the garden up every 20 years or so and
clean out the soakaway?

The latter really.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I don't know if my rain water drainage is to a soakaway.
However......
Having just unblocked a rainwater down pipe at the top where it met the
guttering, and found it full of mud and moss (our North facing roof seems
to be almost a 'green roof' - there is moss growing around nearly every
tile) I was pondering on how much crap had gone down the pipe before it
became blocked.

Which led me to pondering about soak aways in general.

If you keep washing muck down into them they must silt up eventually.
So how do you deal with this?
Should there be a gulley and 'U' trap before the soakaway to catch
rubbish which can then be removed?
Or do you have to plan to dig the garden up every 20 years or so and
clean out the soakaway?

The latter really.

In which case the next question is "How do you find the soakaway?".

Presumably by digging up the pipe run and following it along.

I am now hoping I never have to tackle this particular problem :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

My MIL's house built in the 30's seems to have recently blocked its soakaway
from the porch.
The plan is to cut into the downpipe and insert a diverter to pipe the
rainwater down the side of the house and into the outside drain where the
kitchen and bathroom grey water pipe outfalls are.

That's the plan anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I don't know if my rain water drainage is to a soakaway.
However......
Having just unblocked a rainwater down pipe at the top where it met the
guttering, and found it full of mud and moss (our North facing roof
seems to be almost a 'green roof' - there is moss growing around nearly
every tile) I was pondering on how much crap had gone down the pipe
before it became blocked.

Which led me to pondering about soak aways in general.

If you keep washing muck down into them they must silt up eventually.
So how do you deal with this?
Should there be a gulley and 'U' trap before the soakaway to catch
rubbish which can then be removed?
Or do you have to plan to dig the garden up every 20 years or so and
clean out the soakaway?

Cheers

Dave R

Fill the soakhole with coarse gravel and then lay filter cloth on top of
the gravel. Periodically clean the filter cloth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Milk crates.

Plus there is a formula for what size soakaway based on %age free area
somewhere, based on area of roof being served and so on. Probably
Paving Expert or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:11:45 -0000, OG wrote:

My MIL's house built in the 30's seems to have recently blocked its
soakaway from the porch. The plan is to cut into the downpipe and insert
a diverter to pipe the rainwater down the side of the house and into the
outside drain where the kitchen and bathroom grey water pipe outfalls
are.

Check what the MIL's water board are charging here for. If it
includes surafce water in the sewerage charge fair enough but if not
the bill could increase (if they found out...). Or if there is no
surface water entering the sewage system she might be entitled to a
reduction in the bill...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Its marked on the plans?

Presumably by digging up the pipe run and following it along.

I am now hoping I never have to tackle this particular problem :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

snip
In which case the next question is "How do you find the soakaway?".

Its marked on the plans?

Errr.....which particular plans would these be?
I don't have any for my 1930s semi.
Are you saying that someone else will hold a set of definitive plans?
Including any changes to soakaways since the 1930s?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:

snip
In which case the next question is "How do you find the soakaway?".

Its marked on the plans?

Errr.....which particular plans would these be?
I don't have any for my 1930s semi.
Are you saying that someone else will hold a set of definitive plans?
Including any changes to soakaways since the 1930s?

Building control SHOULD have them.

But if its that old..dig up and mark the location on a new plan, and
file the plan with the house deeds!

Normally, when a soakaway is full of mud, it hardly matters where it is,
because you are faced with a complete dig up and make new situation anyway.

so get digging new drains!