Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Rain water soak away

I don't know if my rain water drainage is to a soakaway.
However......
Having just unblocked a rainwater down pipe at the top where it met the
guttering, and found it full of mud and moss (our North facing roof seems to
be almost a 'green roof' - there is moss growing around nearly every tile) I
was pondering on how much crap had gone down the pipe before it became
blocked.

Which led me to pondering about soak aways in general.

If you keep washing muck down into them they must silt up eventually.
So how do you deal with this?
Should there be a gulley and 'U' trap before the soakaway to catch rubbish
which can then be removed?
Or do you have to plan to dig the garden up every 20 years or so and clean
out the soakaway?

Cheers

Dave R