Frank Davis

Default Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse

My sister has a problem with her central heating boiler - it's getting
worse and she is getting no satisfaction from the service engineer
(recommended by the Irish Agent) - his original answer is that it was
a problem with the wind and she should put a guard of some sort on the
chimney. He current suggestion is that they create an additonal
opening through the external wall and put in an additional air intake.

The boiler is a Geminox Megalithe (French make) about 4 years old.
Oil fired, with built in domestic water tank. The unit is indoors in
a back hallway off the kitchen.

During the summer, when heating domestic water only, there are no
problems. When the heating is switched on (radiators upstairs +
underfloor downstairs) the boiler cuts out (at least once a day -
sometimes up to 4 times a day). It must be reset (holding down
switch on burner unit).

I don't believe wind is a problem - it blows in both the summer and
winter around these parts and the flue output is not in a particularly
windy location.

The obvious theory is that the additional load - and probably longer
burn times is causing the problem. My suspicion would be a heat
sensor may be too sensitive and is cutting the system off but the
service engineer has ignored this suggestion.

What do folks think of the suggestion of opening up an air vent. The
hallway where the unit is situated should have plenty of airflow. It
has a back door opening to the outside, and is about 15 feet long with
doors to a scullery and downstairs toilet. There does not appear to
be any specific inlet on the unit for air. The Geminox website is not
very informative but seems to indicate that the system does not
support a balanced flue. How can I tell if the flue is a balanced or
normal flue. My understanding of balanced flues is that they serve
both exhaust and inlet functions. Is this correct? Can a balanced
flue be installed on a unit that doesn't specifically support it?
The current flue has a 90 degree bend and goes through an external
wall. If it is not a balanced flue I assume that air is taken from
the general surroundings.

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated - because of access
etc. opening up a hole for an air intake will be a horrible job -
especially if it doesn't fix the problem

Thanks

Frank Davis
Email is Davisfie in yahoo^*CO*(UK
The Natural Philosopher

Frank Davis wrote:

[...]

Possibly the flame detector is sooted up. I had one that did that
regularly due to poor flue. cleaning the sensor and replacing teh
carboned up nozzle were regular occurrnecs.

Also check fuel filters - water and crap in teh lines can cause
flameouts under high dflow rates as well, as can simply a restructed
flow due to a bent pipe

I'd do the whiole oil feed over - first of all disconnect from boiler
and check how fast oil comes out via gravity. If it stops, may be an
airlock? run out of oil has it recently? Or if its slow or bubbly could
be ater/air or crap in teh system.
Once oil flow is well priven, then its either the pump, the nozzle or
the sensor.

There isn't that mmuch IN a boiler really that can go wrong./

What do folks think of the suggestion of opening up an air vent. The
hallway where the unit is situated should have plenty of airflow. It
has a back door opening to the outside, and is about 15 feet long with
doors to a scullery and downstairs toilet. There does not appear to
be any specific inlet on the unit for air. The Geminox website is not
very informative but seems to indicate that the system does not
support a balanced flue. How can I tell if the flue is a balanced or
normal flue. My understanding of balanced flues is that they serve
both exhaust and inlet functions. Is this correct?

Yes

Can a balanced
flue be installed on a unit that doesn't specifically support it?

Not to my understanding.

The current flue has a 90 degree bend and goes through an external
wall. If it is not a balanced flue I assume that air is taken from
the general surroundings.

The boiler room or room the boiler is in.

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated - because of access
etc. opening up a hole for an air intake will be a horrible job -
especially if it doesn't fix the problem

Don't think it will. Think its someting else.

Thanks

Frank Davis
Email is Davisfie in yahoo^*CO*(UK

Digital cylinder 'stat? Martin Angove UK diy 9 October 12th 03 09:32 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 8th 03 12:26 AM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 05:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 8th 03 12:34 AM
Ferroli boiler wiring john UK diy 3 September 7th 03 01:23 AM