Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default glazing PVCu windows

Hi folks, hope all had a happy Christmas. Well it's holidays now, so
DIY ...
I've now got my PVCu windows to install, and then I have to glaze
them. I know about heel and toeing, packing etc.
The manufacturers usually supply trade, so I don't want to go back
asking them silly questions and looking daft.
They have supplied 2 bridge packers designed for the profile ("profile
22"), that lock in position at the bottom of each sealed unit, and
allow drainage etc, and also they gave me some flat packers to use
elsewhere (sides and top). Now, there is a ridge running down the
middle of the profile, which would seem to prevent the flat packers
being used, since they would rock around on the ridge.
Options must be:
1) obtain some more bridge packers to bridge the ridge - provided they
can be obtained with shallow enough depth
2) remove the ridge with a sharp chisel where required to give a flat
surface against which the flat packers can be used.
For some reason I have never seen this question come up before when
glazing has been discussed. I can imagine many installers just jamming
the packers in any old how, which may not be good for the sealed
units.
What should I do ?
Cheers,
Simon.