Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default good quality PVCu french doors (aka windows !)

I will be fitting a 1500mm wide double glazed PVCu french door which
will be the only door at the back of the house.
So it needs to be very reliable when used as a single door, i.e. one
side left locked / closed, and the other side used as a single door.
It will be used a lot like this, since only double opening required in
summer as you can imagine. Can anyone recommend good manufacturers for
this purpose ?

By the way, I saw some cheap french doors in B&Q. Then I realised why.
There was a great big bar down the middle. You openened the two sides
and there was a great big post in the middle of the gap ! Who would
design such a thing ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

I will be fitting a 1500mm wide double glazed PVCu french door which
will be the only door at the back of the house.
So it needs to be very reliable when used as a single door, i.e. one
side left locked / closed, and the other side used as a single door.
It will be used a lot like this, since only double opening required in
summer as you can imagine. Can anyone recommend good manufacturers for
this purpose ?

By the way, I saw some cheap french doors in B&Q. Then I realised why.
There was a great big bar down the middle. You openened the two sides
and there was a great big post in the middle of the gap ! Who would
design such a thing ?

If it is the £199 ones from B+Q, then the bar in the middle is attached
to one of the doors, so is not stuck in the middle. I fitted one last
September, and was quite surprised at how good they are, well worth the
money. Can be used how you wish, and opened either in or outward.
I also fitted my own, from B+Q around 6 years ago, and have been very
please with them though they were around £450 then.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 12:11, (A.Lee) wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

So I guess the door that opens "first", or the openable door when one
is locked, is pre-defined to be one side or the other at manufacture.
Or can be "bar" be fixed to either side ? I'm just wondering which
half I'd need to use as the "single" door.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 12, 12:04*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
I will be fitting a 1500mm wide double glazed PVCu french door which
will be the only door at the back of the house.
So it needs to be very reliable when used as a single door, i.e. one
side left locked / closed, and the other side used as a single door.
It will be used a lot like this, since only double opening required in
summer as you can imagine. Can anyone recommend good manufacturers for
this purpose ?

I've no complaints with u-fit. Don't know if they qualify as "good".

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 12:04 pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
I will be fitting a 1500mm wide double glazed PVCu french door which
will be the only door at the back of the house.
So it needs to be very reliable when used as a single door, i.e. one
side left locked / closed, and the other side used as a single door.
It will be used a lot like this, since only double opening required in
summer as you can imagine. Can anyone recommend good manufacturers for
this purpose ?

I've no complaints with u-fit. Don't know if they qualify as "good".

MBQ

Mine also looks as though it has a bar in the centre - but it is attached to
the least opening door. Perhaps the one on show hadn't been fully assembled