Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default French Doors/Windows

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my back door with french windows and wanted to
know whether there are minimum width restrictions on french windows.
My back door is 78cm wide so can I just take this out and fix french
windows into the existing frame or will I need to widen the frame?
Also, if anyone can recommend a good supplier or timber french windows
I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 9:00 am, wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking to replace my back door with french windows and wanted to
know whether there are minimum width restrictions on french windows.
My back door is 78cm wide so can I just take this out and fix french
windows into the existing frame or will I need to widen the frame?
Also, if anyone can recommend a good supplier or timber french windows
I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks

What's the purpose? Usually french doors are there to give more light
and a bigger opening, so if the opening stays at 2'7" I'm not sure
there's any benefit.

The standard minimum size is about 3' (915mm) for the pair - that's
not a legal thing, it's just the smallest I've seen at suppliers I
use. 3'10" is probably the most common.

www.singerdoors.co.uk has a good selection, but they don't sell direct
- you'd have to buy through a dealer like http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk/.
Howdens sell a few, but have less sizes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jul, 09:46, "
wrote:
On Jul 15, 9:00 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice.

The main purpose is to inject more light into the back of the house. I
wanted to do this without having to do any structural work so may
consider a fully glazed door, or at least one with more glazing than
the solid wood one that's there at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you can cope with a little Franglais, I can strongly recommend La
Peyre - branches throughout France http://www.lapeyre.fr

I bought their tradition chene (oak) units to use as the opening
sections to build up into larger chapel windows. Outstanding build
quality, and IMO excellent pricing for that sort of quality.

I ordered off the web, nominating the Calais store as the collection
point - they drop you an email back a few days later to confirm they
are ready for collection. From arriving at their store, to loading up
and leaving - 10 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jul, 11:29, " wrote:
If you can cope with a little Franglais, I can strongly recommend La
Peyre - branches throughout Francehttp://www.lapeyre.fr

I bought their tradition chene (oak) units to use as the opening
sections to build up into larger chapel windows. Outstanding build
quality, and IMO excellent pricing for that sort of quality.

I ordered off the web, nominating the Calais store as the collection
point - they drop you an email back a few days later to confirm they
are ready for collection. From arriving at their store, to loading up
and leaving - 10 minutes.

Thanks, I'll check out the website as we're based south east so not
too far to travel, and a good excuse to pick up some wine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 11:29 am, " wrote:
If you can cope with a little Franglais, I can strongly recommend La
Peyre - branches throughout Francehttp://www.lapeyre.fr

I bought their tradition chene (oak) units to use as the opening
sections to build up into larger chapel windows. Outstanding build
quality, and IMO excellent pricing for that sort of quality.

looking good - do these french doors open in or out?

regards

philip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mine open inwards. There may be other options.

Convert Bi-Fold Doors to Small French Doors Marc Woodworking 5 December 12th 05 08:21 PM
French Doors Ron UK diy 2 September 29th 05 10:13 AM
French Windows Rick UK diy 7 June 27th 05 12:47 PM
french windows capnahab UK diy 3 March 21st 05 03:32 PM
b&q french doors ksmith1 UK diy 2 July 25th 04 02:27 PM