Ron

Default French Doors

Hi I am thinking of removing a window in my lounge and replacing it with
French doors opening on to my back garden patio. Do I need permission from
the council to do this? I am in Scotland if that makes any difference. Also
all of my windows are wood framed double glazing but I was thinking of
getting wood effect PVC to avoid maintenance. I use Ronseal on the window
frames and soffit boards etc every couple of years. So would I be just as
well getting wooden doors and frames?

I was thinking of getting Weatherseal to give me a quote then telling them
to **** off and waiting for them to hassle me and getting the price down. I
will also get a couple of local companies to quote and play them off against
each other to get the price down.

In case you are wondering about Weatherseal I once worked for them in the
distant past when I was made redundant and know all their tricks etc. I only
ever sold one window in 4 weeks as I was not very good but I know how they
work and they will even fit the doors at cost just to get a sale and their
sign stuck in your garden for a couple of months. That I can live with.

I would imagine, from what I can remember, I could get them down to £600 but
then I have no idea what other companies would charge. Someone told me they
got quoted £1000 for similar French doors.

I am sure I have a scanned copy of their price list somewhere but I will
have to search through a load of backup cds.

The window is 4 feet wide and the wall is the usual cavity brick and breeze
block and plaster the house constructed in 1991.

Thanks Ron

r.p.mcmurphy

Ron wrote:
[...]

i have a local joiner knocking me up a pair of french doors to replace a 4
foot window as we speak. he is charging £350. for hardwood. a proper job.
i will prime, undercoat, top coat and fit it myself. then i have to buy and
fit the glass. price is probably on a par with Upvc. if you had some one
do it all for you.

steve

Chris Bacon

Ron wrote:
Hi I am thinking of removing a window in my lounge and replacing it with
French doors

They're French Windows, unless they're ordinary doors imported
from France. Paired glazed opening "French windows", often
wrongly called doors.

opening on to my back garden patio. Do I need permission from
the council to do this?

Probably, but if no pen-pushers know that there are none at the
moment, I wouldn't bother.

I am in Scotland if that makes any difference.

It's likely to be cooler, in general.

Also
all of my windows are wood framed double glazing but I was thinking of
getting wood effect PVC to avoid maintenance. I use Ronseal on the window
frames and soffit boards etc every couple of years. So would I be just as
well getting wooden doors and frames?

Timber doors are more secure, and look nicer IMO. You should have
rack bolts and hinge bolts fitted.

I was thinking of getting Weatherseal to give me a quote then telling them
to **** off and waiting for them to hassle me and getting the price down. I
will also get a couple of local companies to quote and play them off against
each other to get the price down.

Seems OK.

In case you are wondering about Weatherseal I once worked for them in the
distant past when I was made redundant and know all their tricks etc.

*BURN HIM*!

The window is 4 feet wide and the wall is the usual cavity brick and breeze
block and plaster the house constructed in 1991.

Um, is that a 4' opening? You'll probably want a frame which
you can make of PAR softwood, nail on door stops, finish inside
with one or two rows of architrave, 3 prs. hinges, 2prs. hinge
bolts, 2 prs. rack bolts, 1 pr. 40" French Windows (Jewson or
someone), 1 sash deadlock + rebate kit, 2 prs. handles of
some sort, 2 cabin hooks.