Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slightly OT sledges who sells? or how to make?

Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 20/12/2009 19:38, JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

Heavy plastic sack (e.g. fertiliser bag), stuff with straw. Slide.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod
wibbled on Sunday 20 December 2009 19:51

On 20/12/2009 19:38, JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

Heavy plastic sack (e.g. fertiliser bag), stuff with straw. Slide.

Or snow.

Neighbour introduced me to that idea last Friday.

Even a metal tray has some potential.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 20/12/2009 19:38, JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

Heavy plastic sack (e.g. fertiliser bag), stuff with straw. Slide.

Or snow.

Neighbour introduced me to that idea last Friday.

Even a metal tray has some potential.

Certainly possible. But a number of years ago a friend of mine used a
snow-filled sack, the snow was perhaps a bit hard packed, or maybe not
enough in there, the ground was hard frozen and bumpy. And she severely
damaged her coccyx. So take care...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2009 19:38, JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

Heavy plastic sack (e.g. fertiliser bag), stuff with straw. Slide.

Or snow.

Neighbour introduced me to that idea last Friday.

Even a metal tray has some potential.

Nothing that equipotential bonding cannot sort out then:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:01:11 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Even a metal tray has some potential.

Nothing that equipotential bonding cannot sort out then:-)

I trust you are getting your coat? :-)

--
John Stumbles

The astronomer married a star
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:01:11 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Even a metal tray has some potential.

Nothing that equipotential bonding cannot sort out then:-)

I trust you are getting your coat? :-)

--

Yes:-)

But I did slide down the steet on the way to the pub last night sat on
plastic rubble sack.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2009 19:38, JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a
sledge for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old
bruiser?

TIA
JimK

Heavy plastic sack (e.g. fertiliser bag), stuff with straw. Slide.

Or snow.

Neighbour introduced me to that idea last Friday.

Even a metal tray has some potential.

Indeed; I can confirm from experience. 1950's cars (and earlier!) were also
useful; their front wings were condusive to charging down a snowy slope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:48:04 +0000, Clot wrote:
Even a metal tray has some potential.

Indeed; I can confirm from experience. 1950's cars (and earlier!) were also
useful; their front wings were condusive to charging down a snowy slope.

I'm trying to picture that. I've got the wings of a '39 Packard sitting
out by the garage, but they'd be way too curvy to balance on!

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim W saying
something like:

Even a metal tray has some potential.

Or car bonnet. Mind the barbed wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:38:33 -0800 (PST), JimK
wrote:

Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

If you pop into WH Smith or any newsagent which carries a wideish
selection of mags, pick up a copy of the latest ie January 2010 issue
of Woodworking Plans & Projects. Just so happens that it contains a
pull-out set of plans for a sled, instructions included.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK
wibbled on Sunday 20 December 2009 19:38

Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

I thought I might try turning up some rails out of 22mm copper pipe (have
bender).

I have a small pallet outside and the idea of shoving some rails on it was
tempting, then I realised the pallet was quite heavy (though only little
over 2x2 foot). Wouldn't be nice to have that land on yer head in a down
hill tumble.

The plastic modern jobbies do have the advantage that they are unlikely to
maim in themselves.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:23:17 +0000, Tim W wrote:
I thought I might try turning up some rails out of 22mm copper pipe (have
bender).

If you treat sledges like I used to when I was a kid, that won't last long
:-)

The plastic modern jobbies do have the advantage that they are unlikely
to maim in themselves.

Heck, memories there of the behemoth of a wooden sledge I had once as
a kid - weighed a ton, and with crude metal strips on the underside of
the runners. How we always managed to avoid broken limbs, I'm not sure.

Oh, we found last winter that inflatable tubes were by far the fastest -
way better than the wooden sleds of old, or the plastic ones that replaced
them. Unfortunately it's a lot harder (and less fun) to DIY an inflatable
tube!

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 20, 8:52 pm, Jules
wrote:
[...]

aha where did you get em?
tia
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:56:34 -0800, JimK wrote:
Oh, we found last winter that inflatable tubes were by far the fastest -
way better than the wooden sleds of old, or the plastic ones that replaced
them. Unfortunately it's a lot harder (and less fun) to DIY an inflatable
tube!

aha where did you get em?

Try Tescos, Asda etc. (I'm reading from the US - local Walmart do 'em
here). Ask them if they don't obviously have any - at least here they seem
to get a supply in, then they all sell out in a few hours, then repeat
next day...

I wonder if a truck / tractor inner tube might be better; problem with the
store ones is that they're really thin plastic rather than rubber, so they
tear quite easily and then are a bugger to patch up. No idea where I can
just go out and buy such a thing, though.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
Try Tescos, Asda etc. (I'm reading from the US - local Walmart do 'em
here). Ask them if they don't obviously have any - at least here they seem
to get a supply in, then they all sell out in a few hours, then repeat
next day...

My local asda has plastic ones, they are only about 3 foot long though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:23:17 +0000, Tim W wrote:
I thought I might try turning up some rails out of 22mm copper pipe
(have bender).

If you treat sledges like I used to when I was a kid, that won't last
long :-)

The plastic modern jobbies do have the advantage that they are
unlikely to maim in themselves.

Heck, memories there of the behemoth of a wooden sledge I had once as
a kid - weighed a ton, and with crude metal strips on the underside of
the runners. How we always managed to avoid broken limbs, I'm not
sure.

I bet mine wuz faster than yours.

We used to have access to copious supplies of wood from wastes from new
housing being built close by and transport packaging. The runners were steel
flats circa one and a half to two inch in width being about a quarter of an
inch thick flattened in place with a hammer and attached to the wooden
runners by countersinking and drilling through using a real dwill; none of
them electwic fings!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

Bonnet from a car works - and you can get more than one person on it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Bonnet from a car works - and you can get more than one person on it :-)

I was surprised to see a bonnet from an MGA being used by our transport
manager's kids on Thursday!

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:39:53 +0000, andrew wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:

Bonnet from a car works - and you can get more than one person on it :-)

I was surprised to see a bonnet from an MGA being used by our transport
manager's kids on Thursday!

Was it still attached to the rest of the MGA? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

Bonnet from a car works - and you can get more than one person on it :-)

I was surprised to see a bonnet from an MGA being used by our transport
manager's kids on Thursday!

On a sad note, this happened earlier this year.

Wednesday, 4 February 2009 - Teenage girl dies in sledge crash
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/7868765.stm

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

Bonnet from a car works - and you can get more than one person on it
:-)

I was surprised to see a bonnet from an MGA being used by our
transport manager's kids on Thursday!

To do that years ago was not a sin but to do it today? Unforgivable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
... ... is offline

On 20 Dec, 21:26, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

Bonnet from a car works - and you can get more than one person on it :-)

And death to bystanders!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

I once hit upon the idea of using plastic trunking lid for the runners
- feck me, it was the best sled i'd ever seen for slippiness - it'd
run away of its' own accord on the merest hint of a gradient !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
writes
OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

I once hit upon the idea of using plastic trunking lid for the runners
- feck me, it was the best sled i'd ever seen for slippiness - it'd
run away of its' own accord on the merest hint of a gradient !

I thought 20mm electrical conduit and an opportunity to get some use out
of the pipe bender and oxy-acetylene....

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
... ... is offline

On 20 Dec, 19:38, JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

TIA
JimK

recycled recycle bins are good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

Built my granddaughter (the most beautiful & intelligent 7 year old in the
world, in my unbiased opinion) a sledge on Friday night because we couldn't
find any plastic sledges either.

Just built from workshop scrap, runners from 6 x 1, cross pieces from some
C16 notched to make halving joints, glued & screwed. Strong & fairly light,
but trials outside the house (slight slope) and it doesn't sem very fast -
not tried on a decent hill yet.

Last time I built a sledge must have been the mid 80's, when I had more
time. That one I made with laminated ply runners about 2" wide and it
seemed faster.

Might try Colins idea of plastic trunking cover.

So, is good sledge design about having thin runners that go through the
snow, or wide ones that slide on top of the snow?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 21, 8:43 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

So, is good sledge design about having thin runners that go through the
snow, or wide ones that slide on top of the snow?

to my armchair physics mind - depends on the snow!
thin covering =wide /no runners but with directional issues,
deep fresh= same as above?
hard packed =runnners, fast, steerable

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:43:55 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

JimK wrote:
[...]

Have you tried rubbing the runners with a candle Dave? Makes some
difference
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

Mail order?

http://www.supertrampdirect.co.uk/ca...-0-0-0-0-0-0/1

Looks like they're "snowed under" with orders though...

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

Davos sledges are the best IMHO. There are quite a few retailers who
claim to have some in stock if you google.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Argos don't
ELC don't
nearest Halfords with (the one style) in stock is 125 miles away

Anyone know of any other national stores to check?

OR seeing as its uk.diy - your best (quick) plans/schemes for a sledge
for the 4 year old, me ideally :) and an 18month old bruiser?

Davos sledges are the best IMHO. There are quite a few retailers who
claim to have some in stock if you google.

mmm I've googled plenty - trouble is as its Xmas they won;t be
delivering to me until the snows all gone - hence my request for
retailers I could drive to and acquire there and then.

However the good news is we now have a plastic sledge!! From of all
places the local Hardware shop - you know the sort of place that's
either run by "arkwright" in brown overalls - or a gay bloke.

Either way (as it were) we are sorted - bet it rains now - Cheers
JimK

Who sells chalk? mike[_7_] UK diy 38 June 10th 08 02:13 PM
A STORE THAT SELLS HUSBANDS avtar Woodworking 0 March 13th 07 06:02 AM
H.F sells junk tony stramella Metalworking 19 January 3rd 06 04:52 PM
Who sells hydrogen peroxide? Stuart Noble UK diy 54 July 22nd 05 10:26 AM
slightly OT - how to make a vacuum from an air supply Norm Dresner Metalworking 19 June 22nd 04 05:08 AM