Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her breadmaker !!

That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Rob

Hi again Rob.

Panasonic, Panasonic, Panasonic.

Ad hoc surveys & comments in this forum have pointed heavily towards the
Panasonic range.
One or two have supported the MR including one friend of mine but it
does seem to be the 'marmite' of breadmakers.

I have had a panasonic for a number of years making 2-3 loaves a week
and have had not one single failure.
Using reasonably fresh (dried) yeast is important as is pretty accurate
water measurement. Use bread flour obviously. The bread mix packs also
work well again with the right amount of water and a dollop of
butter/marge but there is not an issue with the yeast as it is included
in the mix.

hth

Bob
You should not need to use your new bandsaw to cut it either (private joke!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Buy her a Kenwood Chef, and bake the bread in the oven. It's a more
useful machine than a single-purpose breadmaker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise.

It's been a while since I last made bread myself, but I seem to
remember adding a crushed vitamin C tablet to the mix was recommended
to help stuff rise...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for
maybe as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Buy her a Kenwood Chef, and bake the bread in the oven. It's a more
useful machine than a single-purpose breadmaker.

Yes, do this, or just use the breadmaker to make the dough then bake it
yourself. Much better this way. Would you like a recipe?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:50:08 -0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:
robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for
maybe as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Buy her a Kenwood Chef, and bake the bread in the oven. It's a more
useful machine than a single-purpose breadmaker.

Yes, do this, or just use the breadmaker to make the dough then bake it
yourself. Much better this way. Would you like a recipe?

Si

Could we all have the recipe please .I have a Panasonic and it is
excellent ...Only failure was my own fault for using old ingredients
..I'd like to try the making dough in the breadmaker but baking it in
the oven .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Panasonic, Panasonic, Panasonic.

I agree. We had an inferior brand for a time (have forgotten now what
it was), but replaced it with a Panasonic and it's much better. I
originally saw them discussed favourably on some discussion group,
probably this one:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/bread-machine?hl=en

I have no connection with the company, but they do seem to know how to
make a good bread maker.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive Page
writes
In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Panasonic, Panasonic, Panasonic.

I agree. We had an inferior brand for a time (have forgotten now what
it was), but replaced it with a Panasonic and it's much better. I
originally saw them discussed favourably on some discussion group,
probably this one:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/bread-machine?hl=en

I have no connection with the company, but they do seem to know how to
make a good bread maker.

They certainly seem to be the only people who can make a half decent
HDD/DVD recorder

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 20/12/2009 14:19, robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Rob

In common with many others, Panasonic (SD253, IIRC). (I have no
experience of using any of the others but much discussion has made me
fairly sure we got the best one at the time.) But would suggest making
dough in machine then putting it straight into an oiled plastic bag and
into the fridge overnight. (Make sure there is plenty of room in the bag
for it to rise massively.) Then knock down and form into whatever shapes
are required, let rise and cook in an oven.

The ciabatta recipe in the Panasonic recipe book is surprisingly
acceptable and foolproof. And I found that a spot of rye flour
(replacing a little of the wheat flour) improved texture.

Looking for reasons other than the bread-maker, what flour is she using?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
[...]

Don't buy one with a window in the lid. condensation ruins the bread.

Buy a Panasonic - never had a bad loaf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
robgraham writes:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

As someone else already said, Panasonic is the only one worth having.
The others generally don't last anywhere near as long (although yours
seems to at 10 years - depends how often it's used), and can be
variable quality. My Panasonic is 12 years old, probably 2 loaves a
week, and sometimes used additionally just for kneeding dough.

Temperature - the bread machine should get that right.
For fast bake programmes, I preheat the water in the microwave.

Salt - only affects taste, not baking (unless you chucked in so much
it killed the yeast).

Too much yeast or too much water can in theory cause the bread to
over-rise, and very likely collapse after baking finished. These
should be accurately measured, along with the flour. I have deliberately
varied yeast and water to see what the effect is, but never had your
problem happen. Too little water makes it too hard for the breadmaker
to kneed the bread, and less yeast makes a smaller denser loaf.

The fat is another variable (usually butter, but can be olive oil
for some breads). It affects taste and texture and how long the
loaf lasts before it goes stale. The amount does not seem to be
critical IME.

Someone mentioned vitamin C. Some bread making yeast contains it.
My current one doesn't, and I haven't needed to add any. The one
I used to use did, and I didn't notice any difference.

I haven't tried varying sugar. It feeds the yeast, but I suspect
the flour might too to some extent so it might not be critical.
If I'm varying yeast (e.g. to make a dense loaf, then I reduce
sugar by same amount.

If you are making wholemeal bread, make sure the flour is fresh.
IME, the quality of loaf drops well before the flour gets to its
use-by date, and can cause the top to collapse. White flour seems
to be more forgiving, and works well past its date. Make sure it's
bread flour too (needs to be at least 11g protein per 100g flour,
which should be stated on the packet). If you're mixing in something
like rye flour for taste, then you really do need high protein base
flour as the rye flour will dilute it down.

The only failures I've had from my Panasonic are when I've done
something wrong, e.g. forgotten to put in the yeast (you end up
with a solid lump of dough), forgotten to put in the kneeding
paddle (gets to the end and looks like a puddle of stodge),
forgotten to put in the salt (looks fine, tastes of absolutely
nothing and I couldn't eat it).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 16:18, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * robgraham writes:

[...]

This collective is remarkable - is it possible to find anything that
you lot cannot give a full answer on ?

Many thanks, guys - all sorts of good suggestions, and a definite vote
for Panasonic breadmakers which was already an option being
considered. They seem to be universally admired.

I do have to admit that I should really be trying to drive this
machine myself - obviously most of the male community here do (do we
have any fair sex contributors now that Mary has dropped away?).

Vitamin C and a slight drop in water are to be tried as new
variations !! Otherwise it's a Panasonic. I might actually go and
play with the new Kenwood and see what that does - hadn't thought of
that.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 14:30, Bob Minchin wrote:
robgraham wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob
We should offer the bandsaw to Andrew Gabriel for his loaf without any
yeast.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham writes:

[...]

Alas, I'm not of the fairer sex, but I did buy a Kenwood Chef with the
intention of making bread, and it is as susceptible as all other
techniques for making bricks instead.

I *then* bought a Panasonic bread maker (the one with the
auto-ingredient adder for fruit, etc), having previously have a crap
generic that only once made a single edible loaf, and since getting the
Panny have NEVER looked back. 2-3 loaves a week, and if the wife is on
early shift then a nice brioche with sultannas mixed in - lovely toasted
at 5am.

In honesty, I've had one flop (out of ~60 loaves), but I thought at the
time that I had used too much flour - so I'm blaming my scales for that
one.

Forget variations to the recipes - a simple strong white flour,
easy-blend yeast, sugar, salt and measured water. Perfect results.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 06:19:47 -0800 (PST)
robgraham wrote:

That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Rob

I AM my wife's breadmaker, if she complains .... So I recommend a
weekly hand bake. It's wonderful for upper body strength and
development, and cleans all the old muck out from under your
fingernails. I make her wholemeal dough first, then my white

If I was going to buy a breadmaker it would be a second-hand commercial
mixer. The gears in modern Kenwoods are plastic and strip themselves
if overloaded - the old Kenwood had metal gears and even they stripped
eventually with breadmaking. My Pa has owned both.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

I AM my wife's breadmaker, if she complains .... So I recommend a
weekly hand bake.

I agree. I make 8 smallish loaves from 3Kg of brown Tesco bread flour, 3
tablespoons of Allison's yeast and 4 teaspoons of salt. I add too much
(probably) corn oil - 12 tablespoons.

The secret is to make the second kneading very thorough. It's the
dough's ability to RETAIN the CO2 that's important not its ability to
produce it. No need for Vitamin C or anything else.

I freeze 7 of the loaves - it keeps well this way.

Another Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Group

Panasonic seems to have had a good press in this NG.

So, do I go for the SD254 or the SD255?

What's the difference, apart from the price?

RonW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/09 21:03, Ron Wood wrote:

Panasonic seems to have had a good press in this NG.
So, do I go for the SD254 or the SD255?
What's the difference, apart from the price?

The latter can chuck a handful of nuts or fruit on top at the start of
the baking phase.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

(1) Panasonic (as generally agreed)
(2) Get the one with the extra tray in the lid so you can add seeds, grains,
etc. - gives you loads more options.
(3) Use Canadian flour - we get ours from Waitrose - because that makes the
best bread.
"Very strong Canadian wholemeal flour. Made using whole wheat grain from
Canada, including bran and the wheat germ, strong wholemeal flour is a light
brown, coarse flour. Strong flour has a higher proportion of a type of
protein, which forms gluten when mixed with water, gluten gives bread its
characteristic texture"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"robgraham" wrote in message
[...]

Am I alone in thinking it is the window in the lid that causes problems with
many breadmakers? when we had one (Murphy Richards I think - it used to drip
condensation into the dough. Panasonic doesn't have a window - therefore
Panasonic works well.

Anyone feel the need to watch bread being made? A feature having no benefit
and possibly a cause of a problem. (IMHO)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Many thanks, guys - all sorts of good suggestions, and a definite vote
for Panasonic breadmakers which was already an option being
considered. They seem to be universally admired.

I do have to admit that I should really be trying to drive this
machine myself - obviously most of the male community here do (do we
have any fair sex contributors now that Mary has dropped away?).

Vitamin C and a slight drop in water are to be tried as new
variations !! Otherwise it's a Panasonic. I might actually go and
play with the new Kenwood and see what that does - hadn't thought of
that.

I've tried a (friend's) breadmaker, out of curiosity, but returned to my
trusty Kenwood. It takes no more than five minutes to toss the
ingredients into the bowl and knead them. I leave the dough in the bowl
until it's risen, knock it back with a quick power burst, shape it, then
pop into a tin for a final rise. When it is nearly finished rising, I
turn on the oven and pop it in. Total 'hands-on' time is about 7 or 8
minutes.

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 20/12/2009 22:15, S Viemeister wrote:

I've tried a (friend's) breadmaker, out of curiosity, but returned to my
trusty Kenwood. It takes no more than five minutes to toss the
ingredients into the bowl and knead them. I leave the dough in the bowl
until it's risen, knock it back with a quick power burst, shape it, then
pop into a tin for a final rise. When it is nearly finished rising, I
turn on the oven and pop it in. Total 'hands-on' time is about 7 or 8
minutes.

Sheila

If we had the space, I might have a Kenwood Chef (or whatever) as well.
But I am pretty sure that the bread-maker uses much less electricity
than our oven. So, unless cooking something else at much the same time,
I hold that as an advantage of the bread-maker.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

If we had the space, I might have a Kenwood Chef (or whatever) as well.
But I am pretty sure that the bread-maker uses much less electricity
than our oven. So, unless cooking something else at much the same time,
I hold that as an advantage of the bread-maker.

One of the reasons I don't want a breadmaker, is lack of space for
single-purpose appliances.
My cooker has two ovens, one much smaller than the other, which I use
for little things like bread - and until the central heating is redone,
sometime next year, I have the oven in the Rayburn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Rob

I had the same problem with a Morphy Richards breadmaker - very
inconsistent results however closely I followed the instructions. Then
I read somewhere the advice that to get a perfect loaf the secret is to
add the yeast first to the water. In the Morphy Richards instructions
the yeast is always the last ingredient so sits on top of the flour etc
in the dry. I have changed to this new method and have not had a single
failure. I normally fill the breadmaker in the evening and use the
timer to produce a warm loaf for breakfast so I can see this might give
the yeast a start. May not make any difference if you do not use the timer

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her bread winner !!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:46:06 GMT
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her bread winner !!

Yes, but you can understand her point
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Dec, 08:46, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her bread winner !!

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave - I shouldn't be admitting this; I'm retired and my wife
is the bread-winner and the bread-maker. I do feel quite seriously
threatened by all the guys in this forum who do the bread making in
their house - and ashamed too. I can see that this looks like being a
male preserve I should be joining.

My original posting was a request to find a forum on the bread making
topic - I had no idea I would out some 25 closet male bread makers
(sorry Sheila ! you should be basking in the glory of being one of
the very few ladies here )

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Zhang Dawei writes:
Ron Wood wrote:

Panasonic seems to have had a good press in this NG.

So, do I go for the SD254 or the SD255?

What's the difference, apart from the price?

Assuming my memory is correct, the SD255 has an additional specialised
paddle (and, I presume, more powerful motor) to allow it to cope with
kneading rye flour to make rye bread. As others have said, it also has a
tray to allow you to preload it with nuts and raisins and so on for bread
with extras added to it.

You can add rye flour to the SD254, but not too much or else the motor may
not be able to cope and burn itself out.

You can also add things like nuts and so on to the SD254, but you have to do
it manually and partway through the process (there is an option you can
select for this, which beeps at the appropriate time) The reason they say
you shouldn't really add them right at the beginning is that, being hard and
sometimes with slightly non-blunt edges, they could scrape some of the non-
stick material off the baking tin.

I think it's more likely because after 20 minutes kneading, they'd
be broken into pieces. I sometimes make ciabatta with olives, and
you have to add the olives when there's only a few minutes of
kneading left, or you might as well have liquidised them because
they will be smashed into tiny pieces. My SD206 predates the ones
with the nut trays, so I just have to remember to add by hand.
It has the pause and beep for additions, but that's still too soon
for soft items like olives and some fruit.

For sunflower seeds in brown bread, I find they're better if they
have soaked in water first. This makes them ideal for a delayed
start loaf where you can leave them soaking in the water during
the delay time (and not use the nut tray). Add a little extra
water in this case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:

Am I alone in thinking it is the window in the lid that causes problems with
many breadmakers? when we had one (Murphy Richards I think - it used to drip
condensation into the dough. Panasonic doesn't have a window - therefore
Panasonic works well.

Anyone feel the need to watch bread being made? A feature having no benefit
and possibly a cause of a problem. (IMHO)

I open the lid and peek in sometimes; except during the final baking
phase, that's harmless. Actually, after the beating down (about 1:15
before the end), if I remember, I take the kneading paddle out, so I
don't get a loaf with a slot in the bottom.

Also, when there's about 0:50 to go, depending on the loaf, I'll paint
the top with egg white and sprinkle on poppy seeds.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her bread winner !!

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave - I shouldn't be admitting this; I'm retired and my wife
is the bread-winner and the bread-maker. I do feel quite seriously
threatened by all the guys in this forum who do the bread making in
their house - and ashamed too. I can see that this looks like being a
male preserve I should be joining.

Rob

Nothing to be ashamed of.

I would be proud of her.

But who sleeps with the milkman:-)?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 20 Dec, 23:14, S Viemeister wrote:
My cooker has two ovens, one much smaller than the other, which I use
for little things like bread

The little ovens are not necessarily cheaper to run than the bigger
oven, especially if the big oven is fanned.

They come up to temperature more quickly. Time is money!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

Rob

Check out "flour improver" on Ebay...
The amount of water in the mix is critical and varies with different
flours so its difficult to put a hard figure on the quantity required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

wrote:
I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her bread winner !!

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave - I shouldn't be admitting this; I'm retired and my wife
is the bread-winner and the bread-maker. I do feel quite seriously
threatened by all the guys in this forum who do the bread making in
their house - and ashamed too. I can see that this looks like being a
male preserve I should be joining.

Rob

Nothing to be ashamed of.

I would be proud of her.

But who sleeps with the milkman:-)?

Sue (Linley Lane, number 22)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm fed up with my wife complaining about her bread winner !!

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave - I shouldn't be admitting this; I'm retired and my wife
is the bread-winner and the bread-maker. *I do feel quite seriously
threatened by all the guys in this forum who do the bread making in
their house - and ashamed too. *I can see that this looks like being a
male preserve I should be joining.

Rob

Nothing to be ashamed of.

I would be proud of her.

But who sleeps with the milkman:-)?

Adam

The milkwoman !! And that of course has two translations!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"John" writes:
Am I alone in thinking it is the window in the lid that causes problems with
many breadmakers? when we had one (Murphy Richards I think - it used to drip
condensation into the dough. Panasonic doesn't have a window - therefore
Panasonic works well.

Anyone feel the need to watch bread being made? A feature having no benefit
and possibly a cause of a problem. (IMHO)

I open the lid and peek in sometimes; except during the final baking
phase, that's harmless. Actually, after the beating down (about 1:15
before the end), if I remember, I take the kneading paddle out, so I
don't get a loaf with a slot in the bottom.

Also, when there's about 0:50 to go, depending on the loaf, I'll paint
the top with egg white and sprinkle on poppy seeds.

That is an interesting tip. Thanks.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

No it won't. I have been using a bread maker for less than a year and I
have found out that the flour to water content is critical.

I presume that the b maker recipes are in cup measures, if so, stop
right there.

Cups are invariably metric these days.

Flour measured in cups can vary by quite a large percentage, depending
on how it is got from the bag of flour. I don't have my research papers
available at the moment, but I can post them on here if you need the data.

Basically, strong, or bread flour should weigh 135 grammes per cup.
water should measure 250 grammes per cup. Cup measurements look to have
been standardise in the UK and to the East to 250 grammes/mL of water.
US cups are different in capacity.
Beware of using table spoons, as these vary across the world.
Always weigh the ingredients in (forgive the expression) grammes, as
that is the only universal measure these days, that you can compare to.

Measure flour by flowing it out of the bag and you should end up with
about 135 grammes per cup. Spoon it out and you will end up with a
larger percentage and hence a greater weight. Scoop it out of the bag
with the measuring cup and you will end up with a much larger weight of
flour. I think I got the figures from flow to scooped from between 135 g
to over 165 g.

The more flour you have, the lower the rise of the bread.

Rather than buy a new BM go to Tesco and buy a digital scale for about
£10-00

My BM has a recipe for plain white that has

1 1/2 cups of water (12 fl ounces, read it from the bottom of the
meniscus.) Critical.
1 tbsp of oil (not critical)
tsp of salt (not critical)
3 1/2 cups of strong white bread flour. Critical
1 tsp of white sugar. Not critical
2 tsp of fast action yeast, sachets are usually a touch more than the
recipe requires, but not critical

This is the way I have to load the bread maker, in case you set the
delay timer for overnight baking. You have got to separate the water and
salt from the yeast. Salt slows the rise, sugar encourages it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Then get a new one ;-)

--
John Stumbles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:58:56 +0000, Dave
wrote:

robgraham wrote:
[...]

All these problems seem to be a result of certain persons' desires
(for some obscure reason) to completely ditch any reference to
traditional units of measurement -purely- for the sake of conforming
to a French "system".

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.baking911.com/bread/101_i...henhancers.htm

Thanks. That site answers a good many questions, but not one that has
puzzled me for some time, so maybe some expert here can answer it.

I normally use my (Panasonic) breadmaker on one of its fast bake
programmes (2 hrs white, or 3 hrs wholemeal). But to use the timer one
has to use one of the regular programmes, and these always start with a
long rest period, in which nothing at all appears to happen for an hour
or so. I presume this allows the ingredients to reach the same
temperature, but mixing them up would seem to be a good way of doing
that, and the fast bake seems to work well without any rest period. So
does anyone understand what is going on during the initial rest period?

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

robgraham wrote:
That says it !!

Can someone give me a link to a good forum where breadmaking is
discussed.

The problem is that she has had a Morphy Richards breadmaker for maybe
as much as 10 years and has never really got a loaf that rises
properly, and then retains the rise. Temperature, salt, amount of
yeast are all variables and it seems that whatever she does the loaf
will rise and then fall.

What I need to find out is if a more modern machine will cure her of
her moaning!

No it won't. I have been using a bread maker for less than a year and I
have found out that the flour to water content is critical.

I presume that the b maker recipes are in cup measures, if so, stop
right there.

Cups are invariably metric these days.

My Panny gives the flour measures in grammes and the water in mils
..The sugar ,yeast , salt and olive oil are in tsp's using the supplied
measure for them.