Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wooden window frames slight mould ?

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:58:10 +0000, Joseph Craine
wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it

Domestos will cure it. (not cheap bog cleaner though)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it

Domestos will cure it. (not cheap bog cleaner though)

I'll give it a try, thanks John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it

No more of a black substance.

I'm wondering if I can carefully scrub it off as much as possible, then
sand it and then varnish or stain it ? to get them back to niceness

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it

No more of a black substance.

Which is what you get round a bath/shower ???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.
Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it

No more of a black substance.

Which is what you get round a bath/shower ???

Ahh you mean on the mastic ?

if so yep thats the nasty stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping it
off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained and
like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.
Is it like the stuff you get round the bath/shower caused by water
lying on it
No more of a black substance.

Which is what you get round a bath/shower ???

Ahh you mean on the mastic ?

if so yep thats the nasty stuff.

Oh I see. You meant the normal crap and scum and stuff...If it was as
easy to clean the black stuff as it is to get rid of the scummy
stuff!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joseph Craine wrote:
I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping
it off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained
and like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

First of all, treat it with
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...uld_killer.jsp

Then you have to stop the cause or it will eventually return.

The cause almost certainly being condensation. You need to improve
ventilation.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Joseph Craine wrote:
I have wooden window frames, and along the bottom edge closest to the
window is a kind of black matter like moul looking. I've tried wiping
it off and some comes off but there its still kind of there stained
and like stained in.

What can I do to get rid of it as its quite horrible and lets the home
down on appearance.

First of all, treat it with
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...uld_killer.jsp

Then you have to stop the cause or it will eventually return.

The cause almost certainly being condensation. You need to improve
ventilation.

Bingo I'll grab that, I gave domestos a go with no joy.

I'll grab some from B&Q who I guess will sell this.

I think the person there before had not dealt with the problem and
airing the place out. Also I did not the window seals are shot to death
this afternoon while trying to clean it off.