Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mould on window frame -- how to clean before repainting?

Hi Chaps,

Several or my bathroom and kitchen windows have black mould
ingrained into the crevices which just wiping will not clear.

What's the best way of getting rid of this prior to repainting?

Steam cleaner? bleach? is any particular cleaner recommended?

I'm tempted to use the dettox mould and mildew cleaner because it does
well in my shower, but will it wreck the paintwork and will it stop the
mould re-appearing from underneath?

I also have some hardwood (mahogany) window frames at the front which
have mould ingrained,I guess a bleach on this might wreck the colour,
how best to re-varnish. I think it was just coated with cetol7 before.

Thanks as always for any advice.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

always use a special mould killer otherwise you are just treating the
surface and it will re appear

I use the ones designed to treat walls before masonary painting

Most of the sheds stock one

You will of course be making sure that the riooms have beteer
ventilation in future :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Hi Chaps,

Several or my bathroom and kitchen windows have black mould
ingrained into the crevices which just wiping will not clear.

What's the best way of getting rid of this prior to repainting?

Steam cleaner? bleach? is any particular cleaner recommended?

I'm tempted to use the dettox mould and mildew cleaner because it does
well in my shower, but will it wreck the paintwork and will it stop the
mould re-appearing from underneath?

I also have some hardwood (mahogany) window frames at the front which have
mould ingrained,I guess a bleach on this might wreck the colour, how best
to re-varnish. I think it was just coated with cetol7 before.

Thanks as always for any advice.

dedics

I can't help with the immediate problem but when it's been resolved I
suggest you install some ventilation to prevent recurrence.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
always use a special mould killer otherwise you are just treating the
surface and it will re appear

I use the ones designed to treat walls before masonary painting Most of
the sheds stock one

You will of course be making sure that the riooms have beteer
ventilation in future :-)
OH well, I was hoping there was some arcane ritual or cleaning process
to remove mould that you guys could tell me about :-)

I tend to keep the windows locked to keep the burglars out....

There are other ways to ventilate.

The windows in our kitchen and in our bathroom do not open but there's no
mould in either room.

Mary

Hmm, now I'm imagining drilling holes in the tiled walls---
not really something I'd be looking forward to.

I'm curious as to how you could ventilate without major construction work.

I guess I'm just a slob who doesn't wipe down all her wall surfaces after
each shower.... I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem :-)

dedics

Nobody in this house wipes down the walls except as a preparation for
decorating - every decade or so.

Isn't there an airbrick somewhere high in your wall?

If so, put a fan in it, preferably one which works when the rh reaches a
certain level.

If not, it's hardly major construction work to make a hole large enough for
an extractor fan.

If your kitchen has a door to the outside you could open that a little when
cooking with water. Yes, even in a blizzard (not that we get many of those).
It's what I do. Spouse says I should turn on the extractor hood but that
uses power.

Try cooking with lids on pans and for shorter times with less water. Or use
a steamer so that several things are cooked at once using the same amount of
water.

There are lots of solutions, they just need a bit of thought. If you get rid
of the mould without correcting the source of the problem it will come back.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep I do most or all of those things already!

to be honest the kitchen isn't that bad, it's the shower room that gets
most steamy and mouldy. I suppose I could get a fan put in but that
involves part p and I want to avoid that.

I was just trying to find the best way of cleaning up before re-painting
so I didn't get the mould up back through the new stuff.

I promise to do more cleaning (an open the window) when I've re-painted!
:-)

dedics

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Yep I do most or all of those things already!

to be honest the kitchen isn't that bad, it's the shower room that gets
most steamy and mouldy. I suppose I could get a fan put in but that
involves part p and I want to avoid that.

I was just trying to find the best way of cleaning up before re-painting
so I didn't get the mould up back through the new stuff.

I promise to do more cleaning (an open the window) when I've re-painted!
:-)

er - I thought you said the window wouldn't open ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
to be honest the kitchen isn't that bad, it's the shower room that
gets most steamy and mouldy. I suppose I could get a fan put in but
that involves part p and I want to avoid that.

If you used a duct-mounted fan in the loft that wouldn't involve Prat
Pee as there wouldn't be any electrical work in the bathroom.

Owain

Unfortunately, the shower room is on the ground floor under a flat roof,
thus my reluctance to mess with it, until I need to get the flat roof
replaced -- and my reluctance to unlock and open the window because of
ease of entry for burglars, because I'm sure I and the rest of my family
would forget to close it at some point and then the insurance for
contents would use this as an excuse to not pay out.

Basically I need to get this clean before I can paint and then look
after it better. Maybe a vent in the window itself could be the solution.

thanks for all your suggestions, I think I've got a view on it now.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Owain wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

Vent in the window could be the way to go. Have you also thought about a
dehumidifier? Our home - 25 yo old was part d'g and cavity insulated when we
purchased new. We had problems with condensation, aprticularly with the
north side which we had quickly secondary glazed after we moved in.
Initially, we had the dehimidifier placed on the landing as I'd thought that
the major problem was related to the bathroom bathing little nippers, etc.
After eradicating the excess moisture which was causing mould between the
secondary glazing on both the glass and to the timber window frames, I moved
the dehumidifier into the kitchen. The Difference - it cured the problem,
was not working mega hours and I don't think was responsible for any
glaciers melting - I do watch my energy bills! We also are diligent in
Keeping Doors Closed - though SWMBO'd will use the radiators from time to
time to dry clothes!

A dehumidifier in the hallway? Could also protect the timbers in the flat
roof!