Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bright idea for the Handymen in here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Anyone got any idea:

How bright is it?
And what's the battery life?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:39:41 -0000, "R" wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Probably not that bright, eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Rod formulated :
Anyone got any idea:

How bright is it?
And what's the battery life?

For the same price, I picked up a (similar) re-chargeable one with car
and mains chargers. It ran for a good many hours per charge (4xAA NiCad
cells) and was eye hurting bright.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Dec, 20:02, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:39:41 -0000, "R" wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Probably not that bright, eh?

Actually ther're not that bad and battery life is good - in fact I've
never had to recharge mine in 2 years + and don't even know where the
charger is. But not at that price - I got mine form Lidl/Aldi
sometime back for about half that price.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Anyone got any idea:

How bright is it?
And what's the battery life?

I've got a B&Q one with 40 odd LEDS and its very bright indeed. LEDS only
consume a fannyfull of power, so I guess ages.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Is it an angle grinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 1, 7:39*pm, "R" wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Given that making white light from R,G,B leds is cheaper, why are
there none like this on the market?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Is it an angle grinder?

If you are a *true* DIYer...................Why haven't you already got one
then?
Hmmmmmmm????????????????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
On Dec 1, 7:39*pm, "R" wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Given that making white light from R,G,B leds is cheaper, why are
there none like this on the market?

You end up looking at images with terrible shadowing, like chromatic
aberration on steroids. If you go through a mixing diffuser, you lose
some of the light, and you lose all the directional properties, and
then realise just how dim LEDs are when the small amount of light they
give off isn't concentrated into very narrow beams.

People have been trying to get this working for ages, because the raw
coloured LEDs are both cheaper and in most cases more efficient (no
Stokes losses).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Given that making white light from R,G,B leds is cheaper, why are
there none like this on the market?

For a start you'd have problems finding superbright types that provide the
actual primaries. Then you'd need a diffuser - unless they were very small
indeed. And you'd likely end up with no better a result than the so called
white available now.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Dec, 19:39, "R" wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

You'd need it, the Rolson one is crap - dim LEDs. Lidl's (might have
been Aldi) is much better.

OK, just a couple of years ago I'd have been raving about the
brightness and whiteness of those LEDs, let alone the price - but
Moore's Law is a harsh mistress.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Is it an angle grinder?

If you are a *true* DIYer...................Why haven't you already got
one then?
Hmmmmmmm????????????????

I've got a 9'er, and a 4.5'er, and a little Dremel too..... )

For christmas I want a petrol Stihl saw, even though I have no conceivable
project which needs it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 10:14*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * NT writes:
On Dec 1, 7:39*pm, "R" wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

Given that making white light from R,G,B leds is cheaper, why are
there none like this on the market?

You end up looking at images with terrible shadowing, like chromatic
aberration on steroids.

If you used just 3 LEDs, yes. If you use a matrix like the above light
of 10s of LEDs, I don't think so.

Dave Plowman wrote:

For a start you'd have problems finding superbright types that provide the

actual primaries.

No shortage of them in the Rapid catalogue.

Then you'd need a diffuser - unless they were very small
indeed.

see above

And you'd likely end up with no better a result than the so called
white available now.

The prices and specs in the catalogues don't agree, whether you use a
diffuser or not.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
You end up looking at images with terrible shadowing, like chromatic
aberration on steroids.

If you used just 3 LEDs, yes. If you use a matrix like the above light
of 10s of LEDs, I don't think so.

They're common in discos and TV studios as effects lights (lighting say a
white back cloth, to any colour you like . And you can see aberrations if
you get close to it. And they have many many LEDs.

Dave Plowman wrote:

For a start you'd have problems finding superbright types that provide
the

actual primaries.

No shortage of them in the Rapid catalogue.

Then you'd need a diffuser - unless they were very small
indeed.

see above

And you'd likely end up with no better a result than the so called
white available now.

The prices and specs in the catalogues don't agree, whether you use a
diffuser or not.

The specs don't seem to tell the true story.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Is it an angle grinder?

If you are a *true* DIYer...................Why haven't you already got
one then?
Hmmmmmmm????????????????

I've got a 9'er, and a 4.5'er, and a little Dremel too..... )

I bet that 9 footer and even the 4.5 footer is a bugger to control.

For christmas I want a petrol Stihl saw, even though I have no conceivable
project which needs it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=345045

At that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Is it an angle grinder?

If you are a *true* DIYer...................Why haven't you already got
one then?

I've got a 9'er, and a 4.5'er, and a little Dremel too..... )

I bet that 9 footer and even the 4.5 footer is a bugger to control.

Prolly better to be ridden I reckon ;-)