Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internal railings around a window

My loft conversion now has the insulation in place therefore I called
in the BCO to give the ok to fit plasterboard. Unfortunately the usual
BCO did not come. The lady BCO who arrived had a new idea that was not
mentioned before which is to fit internal railings around a window
that opens on to a flat roof.

An image of the window is he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8742324...7622766351853/

Immediately outside the window is a raised flat roof with promenade
tiles fitted. Beyond is the main flat roof with felt and gravel.

BCO says that although the window is the means of escape for the room
it is a safety hazard because someone could fall through the open
window onto the raised flat roof.

My response is that someone like my wife could not climb over the
1.1mt high railings that BCO requires therefore is in much greater
danger of death by fire than damage from a fall.

It seems crazy to me to put up internal railings. Does anyone have a
suggestion apart from put them up and take them down later?

Brian