Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Interesting experience with lithium batteries

Just to avoid any doubt this post is about non-rechargeable lithium cells, not lithium ion.

Inspired by the longevity of a pair of smoke detectors that were supplied with
lithium 9V batteries I wondered if other low consumption devices around the
house would benefit.

As Sainsburys were offering a pack of four lithium AA cells for about the
same price as four branded alkaline, I bought a pack and tried a pair
in my Celect programmable wireless thermostat (COR908WHB-3-RF/B)
It did not work, the room temperature was indicating 0.5 deg, when it was 18deg
in reality. These cells are marked 1.5v but I measured the off-load terminal voltage
at over 1.7v, I presume this is the cause of my problem.
I have gone back to alkaline in the 'stat.

Any comments?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 9:58*pm, "Graham." wrote:
[...]

My Petzl head torch (Tikka Plus) tells me not to use lithium AAAs in
the instructions. There is some warning translated from French about
dire consequences for the LEDs. Lasts ages on alkaline anyway.
Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for £1 at
Poundland? Are most alkaline cells created equal? (I wouldn't bother
with fakes from flea markets as they have the tell-tale at the
negative terminal being the main case).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

One reason why they have such a long shelf life is down to passivation of
the anode, where on initial use the oxide layer first needs to be broken
down through passing a current for a length of time. It could be that the
internal impedance was sufficiently high not to operate the thermostat, yet
likely to be low enough to be measure with a DVM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message ...

"Graham." wrote in message ...
[...]

I wonder if it would be worth burning them in for a while?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Yes, get a life!

--
Graham.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/09 00:27, David Perry wrote:

Yes, get a life!

You can change your name all you like, but you still haven't got any
friends, and we still think you're a ****!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:31:27 -0800 (PST), Part timer
wrote:

Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for £1 at
Poundland?

No, even 7dayshop.com cannot beat that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for £1 at
Poundland?

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of
AAA's for about £7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 3:58*pm, "Graham." wrote:
[...]

I had some in a flashlight for 20+ years that still work, I lost the
flashlight. 1.7v is odd, what temperature did you check them at.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 242704 20091127 114450 "AlanD" wrote:
Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for �1 at
Poundland?

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of
AAA's for about �7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

For a little more :
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...EKODAK+AAA.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 7:24*am, Bob Martin wrote:
in 242704 20091127 114450 "AlanD" wrote:

Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for 1 at
Poundland?

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of
AAA's for about 7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

For a little more :http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...4/Trail/search...

Kodak ones same as at Poundland. Eight packs of six for £8 (it's
true!) First time I'd bought anything there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Martin
writes
in 242704 20091127 114450 "AlanD" wrote:
Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for �1 at
Poundland?

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of
AAA's for about �7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

For a little more :
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...rail/searchtex
t%3EKODAK+AAA.htm

Forty percent more, in fact

Kirkland (Costco's own brand) are quite good batteries

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Bob Martin
writes
in 242704 20091127 114450 "AlanD" wrote:
Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for �1 at
Poundland?

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of
AAA's for about �7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

For a little more :
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...rail/searchtex
t%3EKODAK+AAA.htm

Forty percent more, in fact

Kirkland (Costco's own brand) are quite good batteries

I usually buy packs of 40 GP from CPC - pretty well always on
offer in the leaflets.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Bob Martin
writes
in 242704 20091127 114450 "AlanD" wrote:
Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for �1 at
Poundland?

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of
AAA's for about �7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

For a little more :
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...rail/searchtex
t%3EKODAK+AAA.htm

Forty percent more, in fact

Kirkland (Costco's own brand) are quite good batteries

I usually buy packs of 40 GP from CPC - pretty well always on
offer in the leaflets.

Yes - boxes of the buggers in the office

I made an RS order today - they seem to have picked up the CPC "special
offer today" offer after you complete your order except

8 Duracell AAA batteries for £4?

err ... no thanks

--
geoff

The new Ryobi Lithium batteries Cactus Jack Home Repair 11 October 27th 07 03:59 AM
lithium batteries Mark UK diy 1 June 16th 06 09:33 PM
New Lithium-ion Batteries? Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 26 January 10th 06 01:06 PM
Lithium batteries not recommended? [email protected] Electronics Repair 23 November 27th 05 03:35 AM
AA Lithium batteries UK diy 10 August 27th 03 11:51 AM