Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black PVC Cable?

Was there ever a black PVC 7/.029 cable made. My son has bought a
house (probably 60s) which has black cable for the ring main. The
insulation on the cable appears to be normal,and is Red /Black with
uninsulated earth as usual, but this black outer seems to "pull off"
the conductors easier than PVC does when stripping. I just hope it is
not rubber. I think BICC is embossed on the outer.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Nov, 19:30, JohnW wrote:
Was there ever a black PVC 7/.029 cable made. My son has bought a
house (probably 60s) which has black cable for the ring main. The
insulation on the cable appears to be normal,and is Red /Black with
uninsulated earth as usual, but this black outer seems to "pull off"
the conductors easier than PVC does when stripping. I just hope it is
not rubber. I think BICC is embossed on the outer.

John

I have seen both black,brown and white sheathed t&e,so,I don`t see
anything to worry about.Before the days of metric cables most of it
was stranded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb crb is offline

On 18 Nov, 19:30, JohnW wrote:
Was there ever a black PVC 7/.029 cable made ...... this black outer seems to "pull off"
the conductors easier than PVC does when stripping.

Yes, I bought a reel of it arounf 1967 to extend the ring main in my
house; it is still installed and in perfect condition. As you say,
the outer sheath was easier to pull away than modern 2.5mm PVC T&E.

CRB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
JohnW wrote:
Was there ever a black PVC 7/.029 cable made. My son has bought a
house (probably 60s) which has black cable for the ring main. The
insulation on the cable appears to be normal,and is Red /Black with
uninsulated earth as usual, but this black outer seems to "pull off"
the conductors easier than PVC does when stripping. I just hope it is
not rubber. I think BICC is embossed on the outer.

You should be able to tell if it's rubber or PVC by smelling it.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.