Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Guide to building walls, fitting windows, doors etc.

I am getting ever closer (but slowly) to moving from planning to building.

I see the Wiki has a US Army guide linked - is this the best guide for
building or are there other resources (web sites, books etc) I should be
looking at.

All sorts of questions :-)

I am planning to build using blocks, not bricks.

I am wondering, for example:

What is the minimum space between a door frame and a window frame?
Is it one block? If so, do you alternate one block and two half blocks to
maintain the look as you build upwards, or is this pointless?

If you are only going one course above the top of a window frame do you need
a lintel or is the frame itself enough support?

Loads more questions as I start the detailed design.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Nov, 12:01, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
I am getting ever closer (but slowly) to moving from planning to building.
I see the Wiki has a US Army guide linked - is this the best guide for
building or are there other resources (web sites, books etc) I should be
looking at.

"Building Construction Handbook" Chudley & Greeno, Butterworth-
Heinemann. I think 2004 is the latest edition on Amazon.

"Home Extensions: The Complete Handbook " Hymers, New Holland, is good
for info on supervising a contractor as well as the various things
you have to consider (you need to know where your drains are going to
go before pouring the foundations...)

All sorts of questions :-)
I am planning to build using blocks, not bricks.
I am wondering, for example:
What is the minimum space between a door frame and a window frame?
Is it one block? If so, do you alternate one block and two half blocks to
maintain the look as you build upwards, or is this pointless?

Pointless as presumably the blocks will be rendered over, and will
have no structural function. In fact if it's such a narrow gap then
remove it entirely and form the door and window as one assembly.

If you are only going one course above the top of a window frame do you need
a lintel or is the frame itself enough support?

You would need a lintel, you might not have much blockwork above but
presumably there there is going to be some roof structure needing
support? Also you need to provide lateral support to stop the walls
each side of the window/door waving in/out.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 12:01*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
I am getting ever closer (but slowly) to moving from planning to building..

I see the Wiki has a US Army guide linked - is this the best guide for
building or are there other resources (web sites, books etc) I should be
looking at.

All sorts of questions :-)

I am planning to build using blocks, not bricks.

I am wondering, for example:

What is the minimum space between a door frame and a window frame?
Is it one block? If so, do you alternate one block and two half blocks to
maintain the look as you build upwards, or is this pointless?

If you are only going one course above the top of a window frame do you need
a lintel or is the frame itself enough support?

Loads more questions as I start the detailed design.

Cheers

Dave R

AIUI the book's a handy guide for non habitables, but doesn't at all
address regulatory issues applying to habitable builds.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

Also, http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/armytm/TM5-620/ gets 404 not
found :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"NT" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 12:01 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
I am getting ever closer (but slowly) to moving from planning to
building.

I see the Wiki has a US Army guide linked - is this the best guide for
building or are there other resources (web sites, books etc) I should be
looking at.

snip
AIUI the book's a handy guide for non habitables, but doesn't at all
address regulatory issues applying to habitable builds.

NT

Also, http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/armytm/TM5-620/ gets 404 not
found :-(

However http://140.194.76.129/publications/armytm/TM5-620/ works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 15 Nov, 12:01, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
I am getting ever closer (but slowly) to moving from planning to
building.
I see the Wiki has a US Army guide linked - is this the best guide for
building or are there other resources (web sites, books etc) I should be
looking at.

"Building Construction Handbook" Chudley & Greeno, Butterworth-
Heinemann. I think 2004 is the latest edition on Amazon.

snip
Thanks.
Ordered the 2008 edition on SuperSaver delivery.
Reviews look good :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 8:46*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in ...

Also,http://www.usace.army.mil/publicatio...m/TM5-620/gets 404 not
found :-(

Howeverhttp://140.194.76.129/publications/armytm/TM5-620/works.

cheers, fixed it

NT

Guide to future building regulations John Stumbles UK diy 27 June 25th 09 09:26 PM
Extension building guide deano UK diy 3 January 26th 08 05:34 PM
A DIY Guide to Fence Building trav Home Repair 0 September 25th 07 09:29 AM
fitting techniques for DIY windows/doors [email protected] UK diy 8 March 30th 06 02:53 PM
Question about building saw guide Glenna Rose Woodworking 6 January 2nd 05 04:48 PM