Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default measuring electrickery usage

I'm thinking its time to start measuring energy usage
(but will it cost more than it saves?)

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...t-c-37_57.html
Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor £39.95
Current Cost Data Cable £7.95
softwa www.currentcost.com/software-downloads.html
http://www.currentcost.com/software-currentcostgui.html
Currentcostgui - By Dale Lane
A desktop application for Windows or Linux to draw graphs of history
data stored by CurrentCost energy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:29:22 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:

I'm thinking its time to start measuring energy usage
(but will it cost more than it saves?)

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

Yep, do what my chum's misses did, switched/unplugged the lot except
the fridge/freezer and then read the meter as a start, then again two
hours later. One by one, she plugged things in and checked the meter
after another hour. She boiled the kettle half a dozen times and
worked out the average. She must have been bored, but she can tell you
exactly what they pay for everything in the place....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:47:01 -0800 (PST), Owain wrote:

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

For ease of connecting to a PC and writting applications to analyse
the data I don't think so. I have one it works and looking at the
plot of power consumption can be quite enlightening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/3891740435/

If you don't need the PC input then the free monitors given away by
the energy companies will fe fine. The British Gas free one (thanks
Peter Parry) has rolling totals for the current day / week / month.

A lot of the "free" offers on energy monitors also require you to
sign up for a "green" tarrif where the unit cost is higher than
normal... I can't remember the details of the BG offer but don't
think that required you to have a) mains gas or b) switch tarrif so
that might really be "free".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:18:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:47:01 -0800 (PST), Owain wrote:

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

For ease of connecting to a PC and writting applications to analyse
the data I don't think so. I have one it works and looking at the
plot of power consumption can be quite enlightening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/3891740435/

Assuming this is home, I bet you're pleased domestic tariffs aren't
demand-based. A good fairly level base load but with some very expensive
peaks!

:-)

--
The Wanderer

All wighy, rho sriyched yhe ket pads on my ketboawd?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
I'm thinking its time to start measuring energy usage
(but will it cost more than it saves?)

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...t-c-37_57.html
Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor £39.95
Current Cost Data Cable £7.95
softwa www.currentcost.com/software-downloads.html
http://www.currentcost.com/software-currentcostgui.html
Currentcostgui - By Dale Lane
A desktop application for Windows or Linux to draw graphs of history data
stored by CurrentCost energy

Might be something he
http://www.google.com/powermeter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does the BG one not cover dual-tarrif?

Then again price would need updating that much they might as well
stick a laptop on the end of it.

Google one is interesting, but too pricey at £60. Basically sell
something which saves about as much as its carbon & financial cost
over its life. How American Marketing, cue the 'our product is carbon
neutral' :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:20:33 -0800, js.b1 wrote:

Does the BG one not cover dual-tarrif?

Then again price would need updating that much they might as well stick
a laptop on the end of it.

Google one is interesting, but too pricey at £60. Basically sell
something which saves about as much as its carbon & financial cost over
its life. How American Marketing, cue the 'our product is carbon
neutral' :-)

Since this is a DIY group, after all....

http://offog.org/code/electricity.html

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:20:33 -0800 (PST), js.b1 wrote:

Google one is interesting, but too pricey at £60.

Not to mention the "(+£2.99/month)" under the price...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...tors-current-c...
Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor 39.95

If you don't need the PC input then the free monitors given away by
the energy companies will fe fine. The British Gas free one (thanks
Peter Parry) has rolling totals for the current day / week / month.

Owain

http://tinyurl.com/ylzdkzp is the link to the British Gas eco-toys
thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...1?dmode=source
is the original heads-up. Offloaded the power strip to my brother (he
seemed chuffed).
The code given still appears valid on the BG website. Just follow the
instructions given by Mr Parry ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:38:23 -0800 (PST), Part timer wrote:
On Nov 10, 12:47Â*pm, Owain wrote:
On 10 Nov, 12:29, "george [dicegeorge]" Â*wrote:

I'm thinking its time to start measuring energy usage
(but will it cost more than it saves?)
are there any better solutions than currentcost?
http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...tors-current-c...
Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor 39.95

If you don't need the PC input then the free monitors given away by
the energy companies will fe fine. The British Gas free one (thanks
Peter Parry) has rolling totals for the current day / week / month.

Owain

http://tinyurl.com/ylzdkzp is the link to the British Gas eco-toys
thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...1?dmode=source
is the original heads-up. Offloaded the power strip to my brother (he
seemed chuffed).
The code given still appears valid on the BG website. Just follow the
instructions given by Mr Parry ;-)

So to get this you have to be on benefits, or over 70 or lie about your age.
is that correct?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
I'm thinking its time to start measuring energy usage
(but will it cost more than it saves?)

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...t-c-37_57.html
Current Cost CC128 Envi Wireless Energy Monitor £39.95
Current Cost Data Cable £7.95
softwa www.currentcost.com/software-downloads.html
http://www.currentcost.com/software-currentcostgui.html
Currentcostgui - By Dale Lane
A desktop application for Windows or Linux to draw graphs of history data
stored by CurrentCost energy

Might be something he
http://www.google.com/powermeter

http://www.alertme.com/products/alertme-energy/

Looks good but the gadget costs £70 and £36/year subs.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...92da1?dmode=so....
is the original heads-up. Offloaded the power strip to my brother (he
seemed chuffed).
The code given still appears valid on the BG website. Just follow the
instructions given by Mr Parry ;-)

So to get this you have to be on benefits, or over 70 or lie about your age.
is that correct?

Do you work for BG?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:56:46 -0800 (PST), Part timer wrote:
On Nov 12, 10:05Â*am, pete wrote:
[...]

no, do you?

New-fangled Electrickery Meters ... Arfa Daily UK diy 15 September 19th 09 02:24 PM
Gas usage sensible? David UK diy 36 July 22nd 09 04:35 PM
Measuring Electricity Meter Usage Charles UK diy 16 June 26th 05 08:23 PM
Scope usage [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 April 3rd 05 03:41 PM
wiring up electrickery to new garage Jon Nicoll UK diy 6 October 15th 03 08:24 AM