Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default measuring electrickery usage

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:47:01 -0800 (PST), Owain wrote:

are there any better solutions than currentcost?

For ease of connecting to a PC and writting applications to analyse
the data I don't think so. I have one it works and looking at the
plot of power consumption can be quite enlightening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/3891740435/

If you don't need the PC input then the free monitors given away by
the energy companies will fe fine. The British Gas free one (thanks
Peter Parry) has rolling totals for the current day / week / month.

A lot of the "free" offers on energy monitors also require you to
sign up for a "green" tarrif where the unit cost is higher than
normal... I can't remember the details of the BG offer but don't
think that required you to have a) mains gas or b) switch tarrif so
that might really be "free".

--
Cheers
Dave.