Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stop tap in street (update)

I'd written to them as the water ccc said to and got a neighbour
affected to also write to them.
Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

Will update again when they turn up again!

--
http://www.halloweenfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 08:37:23 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

Sounds like he showed up and drew a pattern in order to appease the water
gods. Now he's sending a real engineer out...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

You are so wrong! I have seen it done regularly both by my late grandmother
and the wife of a friend.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 08:37:23 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

They normally use a long wooden rod with a flattish piece at the end
that they place against their ear and listen for running water .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

Rubbish, I worked for a large power company on mains cables for 30 years &
many a time where records were sketchy we located cables using 2 lengths of
copper wire, bent at 90 degrees to form a handle & a longer part which were
held parallel & about 3" apart from each other. I can't recall the method
ever having failed us.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 2:10 pm, "Andy Morrison"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

Rubbish, I worked for a large power company on mains cables for 30 years &
many a time where records were sketchy we located cables using 2 lengths of
copper wire, bent at 90 degrees to form a handle & a longer part which were
held parallel & about 3" apart from each other. I can't recall the method
ever having failed us.

The thread is about detecting water pipes. It is conceivable that
detecting power cables is possible but there is no scientific proof
that water diving works. In fact there is proof that it doesn't work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Oct 31, 5:25 am, mogga wrote:

Today a water board man turned up with his dowsing rods and drew some
blue pattern on the floor. He's sending someone out to sort it out.

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

They normally use a long wooden rod with a flattish piece at the end
that they place against their ear and listen for running water .

That could work, but the long wooden rod should not be called a
dowsing rod.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

Actually lots of very big companies use dowsers. Seems to work. I can dowse
water as I discovered by accident of few years ago. And I was always sure
it was superstitious rubbish.

I still think that 99% of so-called dowsing is bull**** though. Maybe it's
some residual sixth sense we have from 1000s of years ago when water was
hard to find.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 2, 12:32 am, Al wrote:
So the water board man officially uses dowsing rods - which are known
to be superstitious nonsense?

Actually lots of very big companies use dowsers. Seems to work. I can dowse
water as I discovered by accident of few years ago. And I was always sure
it was superstitious rubbish.

I still think that 99% of so-called dowsing is bull**** though. Maybe it's
some residual sixth sense we have from 1000s of years ago when water was
hard to find.

Everywhere under the ground is a water table, so it's not surprising
if water is found when a bore is sunk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_table

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Peter Crosland"
saying something like:

You are so wrong! I have seen it done regularly both by my late grandmother
and the wife of a friend.

I must say, your family is very broadminded.

Gas street lamps Matty F UK diy 28 August 5th 09 12:23 AM
outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned. Clare UK diy 13 July 19th 09 06:37 PM
Cost of getting gas from street? [email protected] UK diy 4 July 8th 07 07:41 PM
1.5" PVC Street Wye or 1.5" Street Union [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 14th 07 03:59 AM
DP depth stop / quill stop Gerald Ross Woodturning 3 December 28th 04 03:16 PM