Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendation wanted for 6kg-ish breaker

From time to time over the last year I've needed to tackle heavier work
than my 2kg SDS can make much impression on, such as cutting into walls
made with flints embedded amongst bricks, and breaking up concrete.

Watching some guys breaking up a thick concrete floor slab with a Bosch
which took SDS-MAX tools leads me to think that this is the sort of thing
I need, and I'm guessing about 6kg is the mark. Of course this sort of kit
is not cheap: any recommendations for suitable and reasonably priced
tools/suppliers?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Press any key to continue or any other key to exit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A new breaker has appeared in the Wickes tool-line - I *think* it's a
re-badged Kress, same as the rest of their premier tool line (has the
grey body). If it is, they're well under-priced for a premier brand.
(I think it's about 250 quid). It's not yet on their website, but is
in my local branch (Kings Lynn).

Be sure to write a review so I know whether to buy it!

I've relied on hiring when I need the extra clout (and does give you a
hands on trial before you buy, all be it at some cost) - and I've seen
quite a few people say that the Screwfix own-brand stuff, although at
the economy end of the market, is better than might be expected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A new breaker has appeared in the Wickes tool-line - I *think* it's a
re-badged Kress...

This one I think:

http://www.kress-elektrik.com/Power-...x_commerce_pi1[catUid]=36&tx_commerce_pi1[showUid]=18

But I mis-remembered the price, it's 350 or 375 I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:10:32 +0000, YAPH wrote:

From time to time over the last year I've needed to tackle heavier work
than my 2kg SDS can make much impression on, such as cutting into walls
made with flints embedded amongst bricks, and breaking up concrete.

Watching some guys breaking up a thick concrete floor slab with a Bosch
which took SDS-MAX tools leads me to think that this is the sort of thing
I need, and I'm guessing about 6kg is the mark. Of course this sort of kit
is not cheap: any recommendations for suitable and reasonably priced
tools/suppliers?

Just bought the £150 Erbaueur (sp?) (despite earlier crap experience with
an Erb 2kg SDS) from SFX. It comes with 2 * 17.2mm SDS-HEX bits, and a
2-year guarantee. Anyone know what's the deal on these hex fittings? Apart
from SDS-plus and SDS-max, all the bigger breakers seem to have different
sizes of hex fittings, and SFX don't do spares. Are they available, or do
I just take back the tool for a refund under guarantee when both the
supplied ones have worn out (f the POS even lasts that long? ;-)).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

"I used to think correlation implied causation.
Then I took a statistics course and now I don't."
"Sounds as if the statistics course helped."
"Well, maybe."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 1:46*am, YAPH wrote:

Just bought the £150 Erbaueur (sp?) (despite earlier crap experience with
an Erb 2kg SDS) from SFX. It comes with 2 * 17.2mm SDS-HEX bits, and a
2-year guarantee. Anyone know what's the deal on these hex fittings? Apart
from SDS-plus and SDS-max, all the bigger breakers seem to have different
sizes of hex fittings, and SFX don't do spares. Are they available, or do
I just take back the tool for a refund under guarantee when both the
supplied ones have worn out (f the POS even lasts that long? ;-)).

I've not used the breaker but I have tried to source spares, and this
is what happens. (The contact details are the same in the breaker
manual.) :

You ring the "spares" number in the catalogue and they tell you that,
*if* spares are available, they'll be on this website:

http://gr8spares.co.uk/index.php?sea...viewCat&page=2

You look at the website and find that the spare you want isn't
available. (In fact most of the limited range of spares available
seem like generic copies rather than parts from the original
supplier.) Then you notice this:

"If you cannot find the spare part your require please contact our
support team and we will advise if we can help with your request."

So you ring the support team who tell you that if it ain't on the
website, you're **** outta luck.

You resolve in future to either (a) buy the same product with a 3 year
guarantee at half the price from Aldi or Makro and treat it as
disposable, or (b) bite the bullet and pay more for something that you
can buy spares (albeit expensively) for.

I think the Erbauer stuff falls between two stools. It's the same
generic stuff, and the price premium reflects a slightly better
standard of plastic moldings and a carry case but doesn't translate
into increased longevity or after sales support.

Just my two penn'orth.

What was your bad experience with the 2kg SDS?