Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Raised panel/rail & stile bit set recommendation wanted.

I am thinking of purchasing a set and am undecided whether to buy a set that
includes a panel bit with undercutting or one without. What do folks like
the best? I have had pretty good luck with Katana bits and am going to stay
with them.
Thanks for your opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use Whiteside, made in USA , they have the highest Vickor rating of all
router bits studied., which means they stay sharp longer. I don't care for
the back cutters much, when routing arch top door panels ,you either have
to remove excessive material or swop out for a larger bearing. When using a
reg panel raiser, simply raise bit a little at a time till you get to the
desired depth.

http://home.comcast.net/~kdz.96/site/?/home/

Ken

"Joe" wrote in message
I am thinking of purchasing a set and am undecided whether to buy a set
that includes a panel bit with undercutting or one without. What do folks
like the best? I have had pretty good luck with Katana bits and am going
to stay with them.
Thanks for your opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
I am thinking of purchasing a set and am undecided whether to buy a set
that includes a panel bit with undercutting or one without. What do folks
like the best? I have had pretty good luck with Katana bits and am going
to stay with them.
Thanks for your opinions.

The back cutter will limit your use of the bit. You do not always want to
back cut a raised panel. Suppose you want to use the raised panel bit for a
table top for example.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you purchase quality raised panel cutter , you should be able to remove
the back cutter. You would either have to install a bearing, or use your
fence for straight cuts.

http://home.comcast.net/~kdz.96/site/?/home/

KK

"Leon" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
I am thinking of purchasing a set and am undecided whether to buy a set
that includes a panel bit with undercutting or one without. What do folks
like the best? I have had pretty good luck with Katana bits and am going
to stay with them.
Thanks for your opinions.

The back cutter will limit your use of the bit. You do not always want to
back cut a raised panel. Suppose you want to use the raised panel bit for
a table top for example.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Pat Barber wrote:
You can always cut a small rabbet in the door panel back to make
it fit the groove. No back cutter required.

Or, you can also, for non-standard operation as somebody else
complained, use the back cutter separately from the paired set.

I personally like the touch the back cutter leaves better than the
square rabbet but that's preference, nothing more...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Simply lower the panel cutter ,after flipping door over, and set to desired
thickness, leaves a good looking back cut. Also try milling raised panel
to 5/8", usually no back cutting needed, also reduces some excess weight
from finished door.

kk

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Pat Barber wrote:
You can always cut a small rabbet in the door panel back to make
it fit the groove. No back cutter required.

Or, you can also, for non-standard operation as somebody else complained,
use the back cutter separately from the paired set.

I personally like the touch the back cutter leaves better than the square
rabbet but that's preference, nothing more...

Cabinet door stile/rail to panel proportions? Keith Carlson Woodworking 18 May 8th 08 04:19 PM
Panel Frame Stile & Rail Mismatch Trouble [email protected] Woodworking 6 April 11th 07 03:11 AM
Rail and Stile Ellestad Woodworking 3 March 21st 07 04:29 PM
Stile and Rail Joe Bemier Woodworking 10 November 10th 06 10:27 PM
Rail and Stile Richard Cranium Woodworking 7 May 28th 06 08:27 PM