Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet cleaner recommendation wanted.

Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new ones
are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of crap, maybe we
just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

Cheers,
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new ones
are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of crap, maybe

we
just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

Cheers,
Rick

http://www.karcher.co.uk/category.php?cat=7&rg=45&sc=1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new ones
are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of crap, maybe

we
just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

Cheers,
Rick

This is a bargain
http://tinyurl.com/yw4kr3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"R D S" wrote in message
Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new

ones
are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of crap,

maybe
we
just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

Cheers,
Rick

This is a bargain
http://tinyurl.com/yw4kr3

Cheers George, I will probably have a punt on that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

This is a bargain
http://tinyurl.com/yw4kr3

Cheers George, I will probably have a punt on that.

The reason I picked that type of carpet cleaner is because I've used that
model on a heavily soiled(and I mean heavily) carpet and after two sweeps
over the carpet in the soiled area I ended up having to do the whole carpet.
:-(

ps its pick up only if you havn't noticed? why they said FREE postage is
beyond me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message

This is a bargain
http://tinyurl.com/yw4kr3

Cheers George, I will probably have a punt on that.

The reason I picked that type of carpet cleaner is because I've used that
model on a heavily soiled(and I mean heavily) carpet and after two sweeps
over the carpet in the soiled area I ended up having to do the whole

carpet.
:-(

ps its pick up only if you havn't noticed? why they said FREE postage is
beyond me?

Yeah, I noted it was collect, it's quite a distance but could be well worth
it depending on the final price.

I haven't listed anything collect only on eBay so I don't know what the
options are, but have noted this a number of times when looking at items,
maybe it's the only way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message

This is a bargain
http://tinyurl.com/yw4kr3

Cheers George, I will probably have a punt on that.

The reason I picked that type of carpet cleaner is because I've used that
model on a heavily soiled(and I mean heavily) carpet and after two sweeps
over the carpet in the soiled area I ended up having to do the whole

carpet.
:-(

ps its pick up only if you havn't noticed? why they said FREE postage is
beyond me?

Yeah, I noted it was collect, it's quite a distance but could be well
worth
it depending on the final price.

I haven't listed anything collect only on eBay so I don't know what the
options are, but have noted this a number of times when looking at items,
maybe it's the only way?

Most machines just apply and extract liquid. Isn't the key thing the type of
cleaning chemical that you are using?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Yeah, I noted it was collect, it's quite a distance but could be well
worth
it depending on the final price.

I haven't listed anything collect only on eBay so I don't know what the
options are, but have noted this a number of times when looking at

items,
maybe it's the only way?

Most machines just apply and extract liquid. Isn't the key thing the type

of
cleaning chemical that you are using?

Of course it is but its no use using the best liquid on the market if the
machine is naff at delivering the liquid and sucking up the dirt whilst the
tool is scraping the carpet as it cleans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "R D S" contains these words:

Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new

ones
are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of crap,

maybe we
just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

I have found, over many years of cleaning, that a steam cleaner
does a much better job than any of your 'shampoo applicator' jobbies.

Cleaners which use shampoo always leave some shampoo in the carpet
(I don't care what sort of claims they make!) and the shampoo then
attracts dirt, so the carpets, through time, get dirtier quicker.

I use an Earlex, which also strips wallpaper, etc.

--
AnneJ

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion
now accepted was once eccentric. ~Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

The shampoo is needed to revitalise the carpets wool...same as you would use
a shampoo for your hair to give it bounce. ;-)
By the way after the carpet is completely dry you would normally hoover it
to suck up the remains of the dry shampoo particals. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Most machines just apply and extract liquid. Isn't the key thing the
type of cleaning chemical that you are using?

Of course it is but its no use using the best liquid on the market if
the machine is naff at delivering the liquid and sucking up the dirt
whilst the tool is scraping the carpet as it cleans.

British Institute of Cleaning Science qualified instructor here!

You are both right. The quality of detergent is crucial, the ones sold by
the hire shops/sheds are designed to give maximum profit not maximum
cleaning. Most of the trade use Prochem.

In an extraction cleaning machine, the solution pressure & volume AND the
vacuum power affect the ability to clean. The vacuum is not just for water
removal, it plays an important part in soil removal as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "R D S" contains these words:

Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new
ones are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of
crap, maybe we just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

I have found, over many years of cleaning, that a steam cleaner
does a much better job than any of your 'shampoo applicator' jobbies.

But where does the soiling go? Unless you use an absorbant cloth on the
steam head it remains in the fibres, just deeper down. Even with an
absorbant cloth a steam cleaner only removes surface dirt, it can't clean
deep down into the pile.

Cleaners which use shampoo always leave some shampoo in the carpet
(I don't care what sort of claims they make!) and the shampoo then
attracts dirt, so the carpets, through time, get dirtier quicker.

Depends on which kind of shampoo. Dry foam shampoo e.g. 1001, Bex Bissel
etc are designed to crystallise as they dry, trapping the dirt particles.
How much residue is left depends on the effficiency of the vacuum used.

Extraction detergents like those you would use in the Karcher or the George
are low residue anyway, and if used properly leave very little residue
behind.

You are right in what you say though - any excessive residue will attract
dirt.

The best way to clean carpet IME is an old American technique, now much
overlooked. Scrub the carpet with a rotary machine, soft brush & low foam
detergent. Follow up with an extraction machine without any detergent to
rinse. Almost 100% soil removal, no residue whatsoever. Needs a skilled
operator mind.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anne Jackson wrote:
[...]

I would have thought high foam would be better for carpets so that the
grime is suspended in the foam. Mind you, I have made a point of knowing
nothing about such matters :-)
Interesting that after a thorough vacuum clean I can still go over our
carpets with a damp sponge and pick up handfuls of fluff belonging to
our long haired cat. I guess it sticks to the foam by electrical
attraction, but certainly nothing else shifts it. In fact you wouldn't
know it was there at all because the carpet looks clean enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Enough is enough, we need a carpet cleaner.
I have never rated Vax, but have not used one in years maybe the new ones
are better, had a Bissell until recently and it was a pile of crap, maybe we
just had a bad 'un.
What other makes are there, I'm not arsed what it looks like, can the
industrial types be picked up at a reasonable price?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh, we have a dog, short haired (doberman).

Cheers,
Rick

AIUI the key points to look for a
- pressurised water delivery
- contrarotating brushes
- rigid tanks rather than bladders
- good suction

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

George wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Most machines just apply and extract liquid. Isn't the key thing the
type of cleaning chemical that you are using?

Of course it is but its no use using the best liquid on the market if
the machine is naff at delivering the liquid and sucking up the dirt
whilst the tool is scraping the carpet as it cleans.

British Institute of Cleaning Science qualified instructor here!

You are both right. The quality of detergent is crucial, the ones sold by
the hire shops/sheds are designed to give maximum profit not maximum
cleaning. Most of the trade use Prochem.

In an extraction cleaning machine, the solution pressure & volume AND the
vacuum power affect the ability to clean. The vacuum is not just for water
removal, it plays an important part in soil removal as well.

Two questions then.

Where on the scale dose a rug doctor fall into this?
Where can I obtain Prochem?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

George wrote:

"John" wrote in message

[...]

I'd say the Rug Doctor would be excellent. Known in the trade as a self
contained extractor. It uses an oscillating brush between the spray &
vacuum to greatly increase cleaning ability. Less water per square yard
cleaned, less residue, faster drying, deeper cleaning.

I'd reckon the detergent sold by Rug Doctor would do a good job in the
machine, the mechanical action of the brush is doing a lot of the cleaning &
Rug Doctor have been around the block enough times.

Where can I obtain Prochem?

Look in Yellow Pages for Janitorial Suppliers - most stock Prochem & will
serve the public.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Dave contains these words:

Where on the scale dose a rug doctor fall into this?
Where can I obtain Prochem?

Isn't Prochem a franchise? I think that's the one
my son distributed for a year or so...

Not as far as I know.

If that's the case, there's probably a distributor
somewhere near you - but whether they do one-off sales
is debatable.

Most janitorial supply houses will do one off cash sales.

You might find your nearest distributor he

http://www.prochem.co.uk/distributors.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Dave contains these words:

Where on the scale dose a rug doctor fall into this?
Where can I obtain Prochem?

Isn't Prochem a franchise? I think that's the one
my son distributed for a year or so...

If that's the case, there's probably a distributor
somewhere near you - but whether they do one-off sales
is debatable.

You might find your nearest distributor he

http://www.prochem.co.uk/distributors.htm

Noted, printed and stored.

Thanks for that

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

George wrote:

"John" wrote in message

[...]

It certainly did a very good job on our lounge carpet last year, but I
did go over it 3 times, just in case.

Dave

Carpet Cleaner wayne Home Repair 2 August 26th 06 08:44 PM
Carpet Cleaner Buck Turgidson Home Repair 0 August 25th 06 12:50 PM
Carpet Cleaner buffalobill Home Repair 0 August 25th 06 08:58 AM
Recommendation for good shower drain cleaner ?? James Nipper Home Repair 24 February 6th 05 03:17 AM
Air Cleaner Recommendation cedavis Woodworking 9 October 30th 03 04:12 AM