Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to clear a waste-pipe?

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 12:33

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

If the pipe were gunked with fatty residue I might run some warm caustic
soda down it - even better, block teh outlet, fill the pipe and leave
overnight.

In the case of a washing machine, I suspect the gunk is more alkaline in
nature. Assuming the pipe is copper or plastic, perhaps a similar approach
with diluted brick acid (HCl) - perhaps a final dilution of 5% HCl to water
(that's 1:4 or 1:6 brick acid to water depending on original being 20% or
30%); that's not *particularly* dangerous (mind your eyes though).

Again, block the pipe if you can, fill and leave.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message
[...]

Far too technical Tim

What is wrong with a long stick?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 13:19

Far too technical Tim

What is wrong with a long stick?

Adam

Just when I was going to move onto suggesting thermite ;-

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

If the pipe were gunked with fatty residue I might run some warm caustic
soda down it - even better, block teh outlet, fill the pipe and leave
overnight.

In the case of a washing machine, I suspect the gunk is more alkaline in
nature. Assuming the pipe is copper or plastic, perhaps a similar approach
with diluted brick acid (HCl) - perhaps a final dilution of 5% HCl to
water (that's 1:4 or 1:6 brick acid to water depending on original being
20% or 30%); that's not *particularly* dangerous (mind your eyes though).

Again, block the pipe if you can, fill and leave.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll try the second one first -
I can block the pipe at the far end.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?
As I mentioned, the pipe is about 15m long.
I did think of using one of these wire pipe-cleaners,
which might reach the beginning of the pipe.

Incidentally, the pipe runs over someone else's roof,
so it is difficult to access directly.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?

Yes, a garden cane or similar could clear a pipe. I would then try Tim's
suggestion of a "cleaner" with the end blocked off after the stick
suggestion.

As I mentioned, the pipe is about 15m long.
I did think of using one of these wire pipe-cleaners,
which might reach the beginning of the pipe.

Incidentally, the pipe runs over someone else's roof,
so it is difficult to access directly.

A set of ladders and a word with the neighbour before you start work should
do it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 13:19

Far too technical Tim

What is wrong with a long stick?

Adam

Just when I was going to move onto suggesting thermite ;-

--
Tim Watts

99% of householders say that Thermite is their prefered drain cleaner
(Sunderland Evening News)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 14:24

ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?
As I mentioned, the pipe is about 15m long.
I did think of using one of these wire pipe-cleaners,
which might reach the beginning of the pipe.

Incidentally, the pipe runs over someone else's roof,
so it is difficult to access directly.

In that case, perhaps ignore the "night bit" and do it in the day. Keep an
eye out of any leaks (in case there's a bad joint and the gunk is holding
it togther...) Wouldn't want nasty chemicals dropping on someone's roof
unexpectedly...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 14:39

ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?

Yes, a garden cane or similar could clear a pipe. I would then try Tim's
suggestion of a "cleaner" with the end blocked off after the stick
suggestion.

Yes... I always imagine the plumbing in my rented house - full of bends and
no inspection caps, so chemical terrorism is the only way.

But sticks/rods are good if it is straight and/or accessible via caps...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

Hot water and caustic soda usually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?
As I mentioned, the pipe is about 15m long.
I did think of using one of these wire pipe-cleaners,
which might reach the beginning of the pipe.

Incidentally, the pipe runs over someone else's roof,
so it is difficult to access directly.

merging with the unwanted neighbors thread, definitely a case for
Thermite. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

For the kitchen sink drain which occasionally gets blocked up with
foodstuffs, I undo an outside access cover and feed in the garden hose
running with water. Takes a little while wiggleing it in and out, but
eventually it washes the muck out.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

For the £30ish cost of new pipe and fittings, I'd chuck the old one
away, just to save the hassle of trying to clean out some gunked up
filth.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:33:59 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

Dunno about 'best' method but a wet'n'dry vac can sometimes suck the crud
out of a waste pipe.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Teenagers: tired of being harassed by your stupid parents? Act now! -
Move out, get a job and pay your own bills, while you still know everything!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room.
The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be.
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

Incidentally, the pipe runs over someone else's roof,
so it is difficult to access directly.

In that case, perhaps ignore the "night bit" and do it in the day. Keep an
eye out of any leaks (in case there's a bad joint and the gunk is holding
it togther...) Wouldn't want nasty chemicals dropping on someone's roof
unexpectedly...

Yes, I had better watch out for that.
In fact, the neighbour put in the pipe -
the water used to run through a gutter on his roof.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 2:19 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What is wrong with a long stick?

I've got a drain pipe to clear too, but after 6 inches there is a
right-angle corner. How do I get the stick around the corner?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct, 16:34, pete wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:02:00 +0000, Tim W wrote:
ARWadsworth
* wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 13:19

Far too technical Tim

What is wrong with a long stick?

Adam

Just when I was going to move onto suggesting thermite ;-

Ferret?

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/fo...ies_Penker.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Oct 26, 2:19 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What is wrong with a long stick?

I've got a drain pipe to clear too, but after 6 inches there is a
right-angle corner. How do I get the stick around the corner?

Bendy stick or remove the bend?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 8:35 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 2:19 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What is wrong with a long stick?

I've got a drain pipe to clear too, but after 6 inches there is a
right-angle corner. How do I get the stick around the corner?

Bendy stick or remove the bend?

The pipe goes under a railway line that is buried in concrete.
There seems to be lots of grit and stones in there.
I can get fencing wire right along the pipe but water will still not
go through.
I'll try a waterblaster next but that won't go around the bend.
The other end of the pipe is completely unaccessible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe

I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?

Yes, a garden cane or similar could clear a pipe.

Where can one buy these 6 storey high garden canes? (I don't have a
local branch of Jack's Beanstalk Garden Centres.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 12:56*pm, NT wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe
I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

What is wrong with a long stick?

Was this a serious suggestion?

Yes, a garden cane or similar could clear a pipe.

Where can one buy these 6 storey high garden canes? (I don't have a
local branch of Jack's Beanstalk Garden Centres.)

Screwfix. For 15m, you'll want one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14843/...-Drain-Rod-Set
and two of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36874/...-Rod-Set-3-65m
Alternatively, you ask around and find a friend or neighbour who's
already got a set.

(If you need to actually buy, I think the chemical route would be best)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 9:05 am, Matty F wrote:
On Oct 28, 8:35 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 2:19 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What is wrong with a long stick?

I've got a drain pipe to clear too, but after 6 inches there is a
right-angle corner. How do I get the stick around the corner?

Bendy stick or remove the bend?

The pipe goes under a railway line that is buried in concrete.
There seems to be lots of grit and stones in there.
I can get fencing wire right along the pipe but water will still not
go through.
I'll try a waterblaster next but that won't go around the bend.
The other end of the pipe is completely unaccessible.

For the record, I cleared the drainpipe. I made a large rubber washer
to fit the 3" pipe and screwed a hose connection into it. I screwed a
long bolt to the washer so that I could hold it in place in the pipe.
I attached a hose and someone turned the tap on. After a few minutes,
whatever was in the pipe was flushed out.