Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Running Central Heating Without Inhibitor?

Hi,

I have just finished some work on my central heating system (fitting
TRVs, changing the bathroom radiator for a towel rail type radiator and
some pump work involving some soldered joints).

I would like to refill the system and run it for a few hours to check
for leaks *before* adding inhibitor. How much "damage" is this going to
cause? OK, it wont cause damage, but is this a good idea?

If there are no leaks then I have lost some time part-draining the
system and adding inhibitor, but if there are leaks I have saved myself
the cost of the inhibitor.

Thanks,
BraileTrail
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"BraileTrail" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just finished some work on my central heating system (fitting TRVs,
changing the bathroom radiator for a towel rail type radiator and some
pump work involving some soldered joints).

I would like to refill the system and run it for a few hours to check for
leaks *before* adding inhibitor. How much "damage" is this going to cause?
OK, it wont cause damage, but is this a good idea?

If there are no leaks then I have lost some time part-draining the system
and adding inhibitor, but if there are leaks I have saved myself the cost
of the inhibitor.

Thanks,
BraileTrail

I would see no problem in doing this provided you have flushed the system to
remove any debris that could interfere with the boiler/pump. If no leaks are
found drain a little bit and then add inhibitor.

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

don't fret about it. I know of "professhunally" installed systems with
NO inhibitor in them - run for years before anyone notices and calls

I think I'll call this "jaded Friday" ;)))

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BraileTrail
wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 18:29

Hi,

I have just finished some work on my central heating system (fitting
TRVs, changing the bathroom radiator for a towel rail type radiator and
some pump work involving some soldered joints).

I would like to refill the system and run it for a few hours to check
for leaks *before* adding inhibitor. How much "damage" is this going to
cause? OK, it wont cause damage, but is this a good idea?

This will cause no problems whatsoever for a short time (that could mean
days/weeks depending on what your water is like).

As others have said, flushing the crap out would be more beneficial in the
first instant.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...