Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing brushes on washing machine motor?

The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a while?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:29:30 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a while?

Possibly.

I managed to replace them on my fairly ancient 6200 without removing the
motor. They were, however, a fairly eye-watering £20 or so.

--
John Stumbles

Pessimists are never disappointed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 9:29*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a while?

Sometimes, did things like that years ago. But why do more work for a
lttle extra life when you can do less work and have long lasting new
brushes.

The only way you'll know if that can be done is to get to it and see.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a while?

Running a machine with worn brushes is asking for further damage IMO.
Taking a motor out isn't at all difficult, nor does it require any special
tools - socket set or spanners. Changed them it Hotpoints many times, easy
job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 18 Oct,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a
while?

Running a machine with worn brushes is asking for further damage IMO.
Taking a motor out isn't at all difficult, nor does it require any
special tools - socket set or spanners. Changed them it Hotpoints
many times, easy job.

Hotpoint brushes are soft and need changing /very/ frequently. AEG
brushes are expensive but last longer, at the expense of more
commutator wear.

It pays to change the brushes promptly, as less damage is done to the
commutator, false economy to bodge old brushes. Do as TMH says.

My hotpoint brushes can be changed from the front without removing
the motor. I must have done it about 20 times on my ancient Hotpoint,
which has now outlived it's AEG lavamat replacement. Couldn't get teh
spares for the latter, but the hotpoint still goes on strongly (about
25yr old) as spares are still available.

I've kept a Hotpoint going for 20 years with brush changes. Had to take the
motor out though - maybe different models. Only changed it cos SWMBO wanted
a 'new' machine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 9:29*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a while?

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

If it's like a 50630 (I think), £20.72 each from Partmaster. The motor
(FHP) on ours has a sticket underneath. Remove the 4 screws on the
mounts, disconnect the look and knock it forward towards the front of
the machine. Catch it before it hits the deck!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part timer wrote:

The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

If it's like a 50630 (I think), £20.72 each from Partmaster. The motor
(FHP) on ours has a sticket underneath. Remove the 4 screws on the
mounts, disconnect the look and knock it forward towards the front of
the machine. Catch it before it hits the deck!

Thanks for your response.
But I don't understand it completely.
What exactly is a "sticket"?
My motor is very near the floor of the machine,
and I can't see anything underneath it.

Also what do you mean by "disconnect the look"?
As far as I can see, there are two bolts holding the motor
on my machine.
I just tried turning these with my adjustable spanner,
but I haven't succeeded yet.

I suspect I shall have to pay the exorbitant call-out fee
to get an expert in.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
On 18 Oct,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The motor on my AEG OKO Lavamat 605 washing machine
has stopped running.
I suspect it is the brushes.
It seems I have to take out the motor to get at them,
which seems quite complicated to me.
Also I don't have new brushes to put in.

I'm wondering if it is likely that the present brushes will work
if pushed in?
Or is there any temporary way of getting brushes to work for a while?

Running a machine with worn brushes is asking for further damage IMO.
Taking a motor out isn't at all difficult, nor does it require any special
tools - socket set or spanners. Changed them it Hotpoints many times, easy
job.

Hotpoint brushes are soft and need changing /very/ frequently. AEG brushes
are expensive but last longer, at the expense of more commutator wear.

Hotpoint brushes lasted about 18 years in mine.
Makes me wonder if you are fitting the right ones for the
motor - they do both hard and soft, one is in a black sleeve
and the other is white (but I can't remember which is which).

It pays to change the brushes promptly, as less damage is done to the
commutator, false economy to bodge old brushes. Do as TMH says.

My hotpoint brushes can be changed from the front without removing the motor.

First time, I removed the motor. Second time, I did it inplace
(but the brushes weren't worn out - it turned out to be a broken
wire in the wiring harness, and that in turn blew the drive triac).

I must have done it about 20 times on my ancient Hotpoint, which has now
outlived it's AEG lavamat replacement. Couldn't get teh spares for the
latter, but the hotpoint still goes on strongly (about 25yr old) as spares
are still available.

Mine's 22 years old, but the outer drum is damaged (my own fault)
which means it's on it's last legs. Replacement outer drum is
available, but in a 22 year old machine, I think that's a step
too far. Some parts are no longer available if they fail (e.g.
the motor).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 18, 8:30*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Thanks for your response.
But I don't understand it completely.
What exactly is a "sticket"?

Sorry, I typed my reply in a rush - I meant sticker. What you find on
that can mean a lot to the supplier of replacement parts like brushes.

My motor is very near the floor of the machine,
and I can't see anything underneath it.

I used a little mirror, LED headtorch and took a digital photo.
Flipped it around to read the text the right way. But you will be able
to read all identifying text once you remove the motor.

Also what do you mean by "disconnect the look"?

Sorry, loom, wiring connector.

As far as I can see, there are two bolts holding the motor
on my machine.
I just tried turning these with my adjustable spanner,
but I haven't succeeded yet.

Mine has 8mm (I think) hex headed screws into plastic. A normal socket
with extension pieces does the trick. There are 2 of those screws at
the rear of the motor where its bracket meets the outer drum, then 2
more screws in exactly the same positions at the far end of the motor
(nearest the front of the machine). All the screwheads are visible
from the rear.
Once the screws are removed, tap the rear brackets forward with a
hammer and piece of wood, and the motor will drop off.

I suspect I shall have to pay the exorbitant call-out fee
to get an expert in.

No need. Save your cash. ~£40 for new parts and about 10 minutes
maximum with a screwdriver and a little fiddling with the spade
terminals. You can also take the motor outside and blast out the
carbon dust from the coils with compressed air. Don't breathe it in
though. See where your old brushes ended up!