Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine motor brushes

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

However, they are worn down and need to be replaced. They look like
this: http://www.apple-juice.co.uk/images/DSCF1406.JPG

and I think:

http://www.dabsspares.com/product.as...&mo=677374&id=
544570&k=carbon%20brush&

or:

http://www.cometspares.co.uk/product...t=0&mo=387841&
id=100265& will be the replacements I need.

Does that seem right?

What are "C.E.SET" brushes, by the way?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

However, they are worn down and need to be replaced. They look like
this: http://www.apple-juice.co.uk/images/DSCF1406.JPG

and I think:

http://www.dabsspares.com/product.as...&mo=677374&id=
544570&k=carbon%20brush&

or:

http://www.cometspares.co.uk/product...t=0&mo=387841&
id=100265& will be the replacements I need.

Does that seem right?

What are "C.E.SET" brushes, by the way?

I bought a set of brushes for a different Hoover model from an ebay
seller, barty40. Cheaper than dabs, cheaper postage, and arrived in
less than 24 hours. Might be worth emailing him even he doesn't list
your model. Another ebay seller pall527, does list them, but I've not
dealt with him or compared his prices.

The CESET motor seems to be an alternative type, sometimes fitted to
this model. End of knowledge.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Autolycus" wrote in message

I bought a set of brushes for a different Hoover model from an ebay
seller, barty40. Cheaper than dabs, cheaper postage, and arrived in less
than 24 hours. Might be worth emailing him even he doesn't list your
model. Another ebay seller pall527, does list them, but I've not dealt
with him or compared his prices.

The CESET motor seems to be an alternative type, sometimes fitted to this
model. End of knowledge.

We take our shortened brushes - from any motor - to the local electrical
supplier and they sell us a replacement, it's just pennies.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

Change them ASAP. If you keep cleaning them you could damage the
commutator.

Just go to your local washing machine spares & repairs place with the model
number of the machine, they will know exactly what you need.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

Daniele
--
Do you have difficulty sleeping sometimes? Have you ever had a
restaurant meal that was unsatisfying and left you feeling a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

Daniele

yes they wear down to match the commutator surface in use.

Odd sig btw.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

yes they wear down to match the commutator surface in use.

Thanks.

In general, how long does this take? The shine of my washing machine
success is being tarnished by my girlfriend's remarks about how noisy it
it.

Odd sig btw.

Do you think so?

Daniele
--
Now as you lie motionless, stiff, feeling nothing but the blood in your
toes, the needles and the pins, poking and prodding, I want you now to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not
be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

yes they wear down to match the commutator surface in use.

Thanks.

In general, how long does this take? The shine of my washing machine
success is being tarnished by my girlfriend's remarks about how noisy it
it.

You could accelerate the bedding in process by rubbing a strip of
glasspaper back and forth between the commutator and the brushes.
(motor stationary, power off , and abrasive side towards the brushes)
You don't have a groove in the commutator do you ?

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian G wrote:

In general, how long does this take? The shine of my washing machine
success is being tarnished by my girlfriend's remarks about how noisy it
it.

You could accelerate the bedding in process by rubbing a strip of
glasspaper back and forth between the commutator and the brushes.
(motor stationary, power off , and abrasive side towards the brushes)
You don't have a groove in the commutator do you ?

Not that I had noticed, it seemed fairly smooth. I don't suppose
lubricating the commutator with a little graphite powder would be a wise
idea.

Daniele
--
Now as you lie motionless, stiff, feeling nothing but the blood in your
toes, the needles and the pins, poking and prodding, I want you now to
think about your hands. Feel only the weight of your hands as they rest
on your mattress. Heavy, heavy hands. Hands that are tired.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graphite is conductive, so would be a really bad idea. + it's a
lubricant, so would only slow down the brushes bedding in.

As suggested, you need to lightly adbrade the surface of the
commutator.
- this will leave tiny particles on the surface, which will accelerate
the bedding in process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

This does tend to be the case with many machines..however most brushes I
have replaced have been shaped to fit..yours may be a 'standard' part
for many machines and not quite shaped to fit..if so they soon will be :-).

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.
I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

yes they wear down to match the commutator surface in use.

Thanks.

In general, how long does this take? The shine of my washing machine
success is being tarnished by my girlfriend's remarks about how noisy it
it.

I hope you put them in correctly. Generally 2-30 minutes of running.

Odd sig btw.

Do you think so?

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

This does tend to be the case with many machines..however most brushes I
have replaced have been shaped to fit..yours may be a 'standard' part for
many machines and not quite shaped to fit..if so they soon will be :-).

Daniele

A good few years ago, before Candy bought out Hoover, we had a Hover
Automatic on rental and every 6 weeks the engineer came out and replaced the
brushes. he got so used to coming in the end he became a good friend and
gave us his personal phone number so that we didn't have to bother going
through the shop.
His wife often saw his van outside our house and quizzed him as to whether
he was having an affair with my wife.
Eventually, he fitted a new motor and all was well after that.
We later bought a new Hotpoint and have never looked at a Hoover since.
--
the_constructor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
wrote:

My washing machine (Hoover Performa 900 AC90) stops turning its motor
every now and then, so after I remove and clean up a bit the carbon
brushes, it works again.

I've now replaced the brushes with new ones, but the motor is a good
deal noisier that it was before. It sounds like the brushes might not be
rubbing as smoothly as they were. They even causes some interference
with the nearby radio, which they didn't before.

Will they bed in over time? I don't think I can have mis-seated them.

yes they wear down to match the commutator surface in use.

Thanks.

In general, how long does this take? The shine of my washing machine
success is being tarnished by my girlfriend's remarks about how noisy it
it.

How long, who knows. It depends how close to the final shape they are
and so on. Job's done, don't worry about it.

Why does she expect new brushes to be the same as the old ones from day
1? If she wants it quieter, she can file them herself. That
usually produces a spontaneous getting real.

Odd sig btw.

Do you think so?

I did...

Not that I had noticed, it seemed fairly smooth. I don't suppose
lubricating the commutator with a little graphite powder would be a wise
idea.

No! Bad idea. Assuming your brushes are close to final shape theres no
problem. Even if theyre nothing like final shape, they'l probably be
ok.

NT

Need Suggestions for Repair/Replacement of Washing Machine Mike Home Repair 13 October 14th 06 02:29 AM
Washing machine drain [email protected] UK diy 15 June 2nd 06 10:28 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 02:34 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM