Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Visible Address - Is this Old Fashioned?

Hi all

Whilst I do DIY a lot of the jobs around the house, some are frankly beyond
me physically (niggling back probs etc).
So it's time to get a man in as-they-say.
I made the mistake of talking to one of these cold calls about repaving the
drive - turned out to be a shady Irish operator who needed some straight
talk just to get rid of him!
Anyway I digress - the point is, even if this guy knew chapter and verse and
came with excellent references (which he wouldn't actually supply), I would
have been reluctant to deal with him. His van, whilst having a fancy logo
job on the side, did not display a land line phone number or, more
importantly, a business address.
The lack of a displayed address makes me very wary - does anyone else feel
the same?
That brought to mind TMH and his requests for comment on his van logo. Did
a search for the van picks but they seem to have been removed - can't
remember if his address was featured or not (or if this was part of the
discussion).
Browsing briefly through his web site I couldn't see his address either.

This raises another question, aren't businesses supposed to display a
trading address on web sites by law, or is it just a vague "contact details
requirement"?

From what TMH has said, the lack of displayed address does not seem to
affect his business. But then his would be the sort of outfit that you
might trial or use on low value projects, at least until you had confidence
in him.

Phil